Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 04:22PM

A recurring theme on this board is the sincerity of belief, or its lack, on the part of TSCC's leadership. I have my own views on the question, but in the end it doesn't matter. Even if we concede their sincerity, they are lamentable human beings, because sincerity, in itself, is a highly overrated virtue.

The Albigensians (or Cathars), Medieval heretics from Catholicism living in southern France, were unquestionably sincere. But equally sincere were their persecutors, the crusaders sent against them by Pope Innocent(!?) III. At the massacre of the citizens of the city of Beziers, a Cistercian monk is reputed to have been asked by a soldier how they were to distinguish Catholics from Cathars. The "man of God's" answer: “Kill them all. God will recognize his own.” And these sincere Christians proceeded accordingly. As many as 20,000 men, women, and children were murdered.

Unmitigated sincerity of belief has triggered some of history's most woeful episodes right up to the present day. The 9/11 hijackers were sincere in their beliefs. So what? In my mind, they are nevertheless contemptible. Sincerity must be tempered by empathy and a willingness to admit fallibility or it is mere fanaticism. Even Oliver Cromwell, in exasperation, once said "I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." Too bad he didn't often take his own advice.

So sincerity of belief does not excuse the big 15 for perpetuating a fraud. Nor does it excuse the ordinary exploited and oppressed average members for aiding and abetting that perpetuation. We may well pity them, empathize with their plight, and try to live with them as comfortably as we can, but in the end their very sincerity is the lamentable reason that they live lives of quiet desperation.

Just-sayin'-ly yrs,

S

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 06:09PM

The GAs are so damned sincere, they put the sin in sincerity.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 06:58PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.