Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYUAlumnuts ( )
Date: February 04, 2011 11:40AM

From what I've been reading, many resignation letters contain wording that requests "no contact" and waives the 30 day waiting period. When my wife and I sent in our letter, we asked them to do it effective immediately; that we were old enough to make the decision without having to jump through the hoop of their 30 day waiting period and other red tape. We also felt we had to threaten legal action if they held any "bishop's court" or any other disiplinary action for simply no longer believing. But we didn't say anything about "no contact."

So I was just wondering. Maybe it would have been better and maybe even a quicker resignation process if we HAD asked for contact. Perhaps more people should put in their resignation letters something like, "Please contact me! I can't wait to spread the things I've found out about this cult. I will zealously try to de-convert anyone who contacts me with factual documented evidence and information. Hopefully from my effort, you will receive even more resignation letters. And don't hesitate to send missionaries by once my resignation is complete. I would enjoy giving them information too."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: February 04, 2011 11:43AM

I think you may be on to something here, great idea!

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: February 04, 2011 12:18PM

That's a good idea, but in reality it makes very little difference what's written in letter.

I included a sentence about not wanting any contact and the bishop showed up at my door anyway. I've read many other posts about the same thing happening. I think SLC just reads the first sentence to confirm it's a resignation letter and then forwards it on to your bishop. The bishop just handles it however he wants.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: February 04, 2011 12:39PM

Other more seasoned folks here may have a more informed take, but there seems to be quite a range of experiences reported; some people are done in less than 30 days and others are screwed with for months and months. It does seem that the folks who call Dodge up repeatedly and threaten legal action tend to get action and it does appear that from time to time Dodge just pulls the trigger right away on his own.

It may be true that any letter is not really read, but I tend to think that TSCC will NOT want to have people spreading more truth around.

It might be interesting to see what happens if someone says that they have assembled documentation on TSCC's lies and will be sending a mass mailing if their resignation request is not processed in 10 days.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 04, 2011 01:13PM

And we DON'T have the right to tell them they are not allowed to verify the authenticity of a resignation.

They don't have a right to do more than that, but they can verify that a resignation is legitimately sent. Think about it. Anybody could send in a resignation for anybody whose name and baptismal date/place they knew. An odd type of identity theft, to be sure, but it could happen, and no doubt has.

A notarized letter should be enough to satisfy the requirement that the person signing the resignation actually is the person they claim to be. However, with the popularity of email resignations, a notarized signature is not an option, and often the bish (and often the resigner as well) don't really understand what a notarized signature means, anyway.

From reports here, I get the feeling most bishops really hate making these contacts, so it is not like they are licking their chops, excited at the opportunity to jerk resigners around. They are the ones having to jump through hoops, and most of them don't care for it.

If the bish does contact you, all you really need to say is yes, you wrote the resignation letter/email, and they should process it immediately. Not that big a deal.

Posted by: luvsclassiccars ( )
Date: February 04, 2011 01:37PM

When I was going through the resignation process...The bishop from the ward in my neighborhood sent me a self addressed stamped envelope and a typed letter and all I had to do was sign and return...painless

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.