Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 12:19AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 12:21AM

Thanks for sharing this. I'll have to share it with my niece, who already has an anti-Glenn Beck fixation.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 12:30AM

That's exactly what my father did to me. And the same religion, too. Go figure.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 12:31AM

I'm really really hoping that he means "push them up against a wall" in a figurative sense and not a literal one. Is that likely, though?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 10:15AM

I was hoping that "push them" and "shove them up against a wall" was figurative (as far as the man and the children are concerned), but the more I read, I think he meant it literally. And what does "before they're shot" mean? It was a good Christian with books written by Glenn Beck and Bill O'Riley who walked into one of our sister UU churches here in Tennessee and shot and killed two people, wounding 7 others. A few years ago a guy shot his ex-wife outside a mormon church in Utah. Oh yeah, the shooting of the bishop and someone else in California a couple years ago, and other church shootings. Don't even get me going. Yeah, if I don't want my kids to get shot, I'll keep them out of the hood and out of mormon and Christian churches. That will definately decrease the odds.

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 12:40AM

I really don't like Glen Beck, but oh brother!

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 12:50AM

Glenn doesn't care what people believe. His daughter isn't LDS and he doesn't care. He was an atheist for awhile so I think he understands people's right to believe what they want to.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 16, 2013 12:01AM

you mean like Hitler was an Atheist ?

Posted by: mindog ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 12:51AM

While not a fan, he's obviously not talking about physical pushing here. At worst he's advocating for putting emotional or intellectual stress on children to believe in God, which is what most people do anyway. That's how most of us ended up growing up Mormon and found it difficult to let go. It's like the silly thing that I see people do on this board where they like to spell mormon, but capitalize the the letters to emphasize moron. That takes a lot of work I imagine. Doing that only has negative value because it puts up mental walls for engaging with others who are not morons. Being a Mormon does not make you a moron,any more than not believing or having left it make you any more intelligent. More knowledgable, certainly, within that band of information, but not more intelligent.

I have found it to be even more important to me to factually and accurately criticize others. It's important to take in the full context and intent of what people state in order to argue well or to discover the value behind their intent. In Br. Beck's case here, he believes that there is a foundation for individual liberty that exists outside of civilization and since he declares a belief in God, he feels that is the source of that independence. He is concerned that people increasingly believe that their rights come from institutions like government, instead of existing naturally. Personally, I don't think you need to look beyond the independent rational mind of any individual to establish the foundation of personal liberty, but what do I know.

There are plenty of things to criticize Mormons in the public spheres about. Whether that's Beck, your least favorite politician from whichever party, business types, GAs, or the Hollywood set.

I think it would be better and more rational to advocate that parents demonstrate rational personal liberty in how they act in their lives and in how they explain their decisions to their children as well as how they help their children make their decisions. All the mental and psychological stress does is leave a bad taste for these children as they grow up in an increasingly secular world.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 01:02AM

Well said. And yes, "pushing against a wall," as used here by Beck, is a metaphor for the idea of "challenging" or "toughening up" mentally for future philosophical confrontations with others.

[edited for content]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2013 01:08AM by Fetal Deity.

Posted by: dot ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 04:30PM

+1

well said.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 01:05AM

Whether or not Beck meant a metaphorical or actual wall aside, I find it hugely offensive that he states that kids should be pushed so "...they don’t run around like little girls crying at the drop of a hat," like that's a bad thing.

It takes a hugely misogynistic mindset to make the comment that being girl-like is a bad thing.

Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 08:01AM

Well if that's how he feels, he shouldn't be Mormon because that's what Mormonism promotes among young women and older men and women - to get up and cry about how they love the Go-spel

At least, a lot of Mormons seemed this way to me, and it was encouraged

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 01:26AM

http://alexisar.blogspot.com/2013/10/glenn-beck-donald-and-mr-potato-head.html

Sorry if I broke any protocol by posting this link. Don't read if kid blogs offend your or if I should not have posted it.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 01:53AM

He's one to talk about crying like a little girl at the drop of a hat. He's on TV boohooing about something all the time. He's nuts.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 09:03AM

Please, please, please tell me this guy has no kids.

A horrifying person

Tom in Paris

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 09:30AM

Whenever somebody mentions Glen, I like to remind them that he is LDS and the Mormons love him.

Unless he has a chalkboard to diagram how kids are actually some diabolical liberal plot to rid people of their right to life liberty and the happiness of persuit, I remain unconvinced that children need strongarm tactics to learn empathy.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 09:46AM

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/parenting-advice-glenn-beck-push-your-children-against-wall-teach-them-rights-come-god

This is not metaphorical. "They are going to cry." This guy is insane. Bat shit crazy, demonic, diabolical.

Posted by: Lasvegasrichard ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 01:34PM

Glenn Beck ; schizophrenic psycho . Why would anyone give this moron the time of day ?

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 01:36PM

I have met Glenn and I have to say he is really genuine and kind. I respect him - he made it through some really tough things.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 02:11PM

jujubee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> he made it
> through some really tough things.

It would seem that he enjoys heaping "really tough things" on defenseless children:

Somehow this all culminated in Beck telling his listeners to ask their children where they think their rights come from and "challenge them, get in their face" and "teach them a lesson; push 'em!" And he meant that literally: "Well, they're going to cry, I'll hurt their feelings. PUSH 'EM!," he screamed, "because if you don't do it now, it's going to be much worse when they're pushed and they're shoved and they're shot. Push them! Teach them! The need to know the truth and the need to be pushed up against the wall once in a while so they know they can defend themselves": - See more at: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/parenting-advice-glenn-beck-push-your-children-against-wall-teach-them-rights-come-god#sthash.GGz4XaXo.dpuf

It is some scary stuff. He is a lunatic. Imagine advocating talking to children that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2013 02:12PM by No Mo.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 01:56PM

IMHO, who Glen Beck cares about first and foremost is Glen Beck.

He is a con-man who wants to suck you in with his antics.

I personally think that, while he advocates strong-armed tactics (even with innocent children, of all things) that he would be the first to run.

He is a bully plain and simple.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2013 02:00PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 01:03PM

That self important fucking $#%#$%#$%#$ should be shot and pissed on...

Ron Burr

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 01:08PM

He is advocating abuse...in whatever form it takes to accomplish HIS goal....and at what point does what he says get his a$$ arrested for counseling child abuse?

Ron Burr

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 09:59AM

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 01:49PM

This is the same guy, who a month ago, said on the air, that he told his family the very next time he caught any one of them using an electronic media item, he was throwing all of them, i-pads, smart phones, laptops, television sets, into the family pool. He was very smug about this point. Of course if you are not going to use those items, then why even have them in your home?

Posted by: mindog ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 06:13PM

I tell my students the same thing...

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 06:28PM

Yeah, but there is a difference between telling them they can't use them in class, and buying them for your family, then telling them they are not allowed to use them at all, because grandpa didn't have anything like that, "and we are losing something," as he reasoned. Of course grandpa would be the first to tell you that you are freaking nuts, because they would have killed for that stuff, when he was young.

Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 02:08PM

If you want your kids to do something you want them to do the worst thing you can do is force them to do it. Religion, soccer, tennis, whatever. If you "push a kid up against the wall" a good fraction of them will tell you and your ideas to f$%k off when they get old enough to be out on their own.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 10:04PM

This guy helped change my world. I became liberal and atheist partly because of him!

Posted by: flyboy ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 11:57PM

What kind of cretin takes parenting advice from Glenn Beck?

Posted by: I believed this all, once... ( )
Date: October 16, 2013 05:55AM

Pathetic and usless - you can't browbeat another person into believing anything - "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still".

His rant is just an excuse to torment another human being; a smaller, weaker human being of course "for their own good".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.