Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: February 04, 2011 02:08PM

I hate to be the fly in the ointment, but I have a niece who went through nearly the same situation. She has long since left the Morg, but her ex boyfriend (they never married) signed over all parental rights when she did marry and the girls were subsequently adopted.

There is this new thing on the horizon called 'Grandparents Rights' and it is really taking hold.

In 2004, the paternal grandparents of my greatnieces sued and were granted vistiation rights in an Az court. One weekend a month and two weeks in the summer. And this when the girls had met them only once in their entire lives, briefly, outside a courtroom. The deal is they (the grandparents) can't discuss Mormonism--but who really believes that this is being observed?

The girls have never and probably never will meet their biological dad (he is even estranged from his TBM parents)--but I am given to understand that this is not just a Morg thing. Grandparents are doing this in other states, other situations and more often winning.

Have you discussed this with your lawyers? Have you made plans in case they do try something?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: February 04, 2011 03:33PM

I'm assuming jurisdiction over this case now rests in Utah because the ex-husband just got his ass kicked in court there. **claps**

The laws governing grandparents' rights vary state to state. This is supposedly a summation of Utah's grandparental rights: http://grandparents.about.com/od/grandparentsrights/qt/Grandparent_Rights_in_Utah.htm

Maybe a Utah lawyer on the this board can chime in.

I am also assuming (Yankee Girl, correct me if I am assuming too much) that bio-dad's parents were just as completely indifferent and uninvolved in the child's life as the bio-dad was until recently when they all hopped on the "let's badger Yankee Girl" bandwagon some 8 or 9 years after the child's birth.

It seems that none of the criteria in the link above would apply to Yankee Girl's circumstances.

Posted by: Yankee Girl ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 01:07AM

We had a Utah lawyer at the court hearing, our attorney isn't licensed in Utah...

They were never involved in the boy's life at all...they never wanted to see him...he was not bic...and as such was tainted..until he became their only chance for a grandson..they never saw him at all, never sent a birthday card..zip..

According to the Utah attorney they will NOT get visitation rights either...but I suppose if they wanted to move in for two weeks each summer...with us of course and a watchdog of our choosing...so they don't kidnap him...I might think about it..vbg..NOT..

You are right, I expect that that will be their next step..maybe the weather will be nice so when that hearing is over we can go down to Zion and Bryce National Parks...love those parks..

It's always one day at a time...I worry but not overly.

Date: February 05, 2011 06:31AM

"rights" to their former grandson.

The g'parents really should put all their efforts in forcing their son (ex Mr. Wonderful) to be become uber-actively involved in his local singles ward so he can meet and marry his one-and-only true eternal companion #3 and start providing fleshly bodies to those spirits who are still stuck in the pre-existence with the Mormon god. He better get crackin'.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 04:35PM

Skunk Puppet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

Nah, not her hip, it's her arm they have been trying to twist out of the joint! :-)

Date: February 05, 2011 08:53PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Skunk Puppet Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > n/t
>
>
> Nah, not her hip, it's her arm they have been
> trying to twist out of the joint! :-)

No, I meant hip because isn't Yankee Girl an orthopedic surgeon? Or am I misremembering her specialty?

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 04:38PM

I'm glad to hear you're on top of things!

I don't know much about the situation other than it never occured in a million years anything like this would have happened and then it did . . . people will sue over just about anything these days!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.