Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 05:20PM

Growing up in a church that constantly tells you Satan and his angels are out to get you can make a guy awfully jumpy at the stupidest things. What kinds of secret combinations/witchcraft/boogiemen used to keep you up at night?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jackjoseph ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 05:24PM

Looking at a mirror in the dark. Sadly, it creeped me out into my twenties.

(Missionaries are the worst. To them, EVERYTHING might be an evil spirit.)

Posted by: jbstyle ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 09:12PM

That still freaks me out!

Posted by: jackjoseph ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 03:47AM

You need to lock yourself in the bathroom and chant "Bloody Mary" for a few hours, just to see that nothing happens. Then you'll never be scared of dark mirrors again :).

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 09:19PM

^^^ Me too!

Posted by: NewPerspective ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 05:27PM

As a kid I was sure if I didn't pray for my family to be safe from harm, accident, evil, danger, serious illnesses and diseases we would all suffer from all those things. I had to say it in every prayer.

Not as much superstitious as obsessive compulsive, I suppose.

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 05:31PM

Anything about the last days. The moon turning to blood, etc.

Posted by: redpillswallowed ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 05:32PM

When I was a kid, my parents hung a picture of the then current Profit of TSCC up on my bedroom wall. I seriously thought his eyes moved to watch me all the time. Freaked me out so bad that I had nightmares. Yet, instead of removing it, my TBM Mom bore her testimony: "He is a true Prophet of God". When he died, it was finally replaced.

Posted by: rexburgtoaz ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 05:33PM

Was superstitious about swimming in water on a Sunday.

Date: October 14, 2013 05:38PM

I'd be pretty superstitious about swimming in anything *other than water ;)

Posted by: rexburgtoaz ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 05:50PM

You know what I meant!

Water on a Sunday is controlled by the Devil. Especially if you're between the ages of 18-25 and on a mission.

Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 05:38PM

I was absolutely convinced that Satan himself had sat on my chest and was trying to drag me to Hell. All those Sunday School lessons about shaking hands with ghosts in order to test which side they play for payed off that night.

For years I was afraid of the dark. If I stayed up even an hour past my usual bed time it could turn into a panic attack with Satan and his evil henchmen everywhere.

What a joke.

I'd like to go back in time and kick Brother Thomas in the nuts.

Posted by: korihortonhearsawho ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 05:50PM

I was legitimately afraid of the Masterbation Monster who would curse me with grave misfortune for playing with my dingaling.

Date: October 14, 2013 05:52PM

Weren't we all?

Posted by: BillShat ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 09:25PM

I was mostly afraid my Bishop would have *DISCERNMENT* and automatically know if I was lying to him about it. Of course, in hind sight, I figure he probably just treated every 12-18 yr old as completely guilty of this evil greater than communism and civil rights combined. I lied. Eventually confessed. Felt even worse, and went back to lying about it.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 09:31PM

+1 to that!

Lol! I remember being so nervous the first time I lied to a bishop, I just knew that his magical "discernment" powers I'd heard so much about would tell him I was lying. Nope! I aced with flying colors. The bishop ever congratulated me on my "worthiness!" I was so relieved!

I did confess once. It was a horrible experience! Lying was SOOO much better! I lied in probably every interview from that time till the time I left, and always walked out of the bishop's office with a recommend in hand and a smile on my face!

Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 05:55PM

Always worried about too much "moisture"

Posted by: spicyspirit ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 01:19AM

Say what?!

Posted by: embarrassed to say ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 05:56PM

I received a chain letter in my late 20s telling me to send out the letter to 10 other people or I'd have some sort of bad thing happen to me. I actually believed it! I was actually afraid something bad would happen to me so I sent those 10 letters on. Sooooo gullible.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 05:57PM

I was always freaked out by the garments. I mean, spiritual poopy pants? My God, how friggin' weird can people get?

Posted by: Albinolamanite ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 06:10PM

I used to think sleep paralysis was the devil taking over my body. That if I didn't shape up he would take me over completely. Sadly, I would still masturbate most of the time after waking up from the devil's control. I was always hoping that one of the devil's sexy female demons would come do bad things to me when I was paralyzed.

I later learned about sleep paralysis via the internet and was a little disappointed to be honest.

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 06:45PM

I didn't learn about sleep paralysis until this year and I'm almost 50! All this time I thought evil spirits really were holding me down. My dad would pray with his priesthood to get rid of them. Stupid, evil cult. How much less scary would it have been to know the truth?

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 07:01PM

I was told as a teenager that "spirits" were floating ALL around us, everywhere and watching us all the time...it was really creepy and kind of scared me. And they call TSCC a RELIGION??? This kind of sounds like something else pretending to be a religon.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 07:08PM

I used to believe patterns I saw when I closed my eyes to sleep was Satan's face forming. I had terrible sleep problems.

I was afraid of the dark into my 30s; hated going outside at night or having an open curtain at night.

Posted by: Klaire ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 07:15PM

I used to have this weird thing where I was sure that midnight was like the time Satan would run wild and I would cry if I wasn't able to fall asleep before midnight so he wouldn't get me.

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 07:47PM

I was told that Satan couldn't know my thoughts but if I spoke them out loud, he could. So if I was having doubts with my faith, as long as I didn't voice them, satan wouldn't know he was winning me over. Aargh.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 08:14PM

I was terrified of sleeping, because of experiences I had.

Posted by: untarded ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 09:03PM

I was informed that my metal albums came with demons attached(really).

In the hundreds of times I've listened to Black Sabbath's "Hand of Doom", never once was I tempted to "drop the acid pill".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2013 09:03PM by untarded.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 09:18PM

One time, when I was pretty young, I woke up and saw flashes in the sky. (It was probably lighting behind clouds, looking back now) But at the time, I was terrified that the second coming was happening, and I would be burned alive for teasing my sister or some other silly childish thing I'd done "wrong" that day!

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 09:31PM

Posted by: queenb ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:06AM

All of these and then some...

I'm afraid of spirits being all around me and watching me at all times.. like what about when I'm naked or having sex or going to the bathroom.

I was always afraid of meeting a ghost/spirit and not remembering which handshake was good or bad. It would keep me up at night in fear.

I was terrified of the devil, too... and him reading my thoughts.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:52AM

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:52AM

Ouija boards used to scare the hell out of me because my seminary teacher claimed they allowed the spirit of Satan to enter your home. Now I know they are just commercialized cardboard.

Posted by: rulebreaker ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 02:10AM

Anything to do with Satan. When I was 10 or 11 my dad told my brother and me that even talking about Satan will open the door for him to posses your body. I still believed it in my early 20s. Now that I have kids that age, I can't f**king imagine what would possess him to tell us that....could it have been SATAN?!?

Posted by: gabriel ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 06:01AM

your dad makes me sick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 06:01AM by gabriel.

Posted by: gabriel ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 06:06AM

I remember i was partying in brazil having the time of my life. One night in brazil i wake up to water dripping through the windows slits the ones they have in tropical places. The wind was so strong that it was blowing the water across the room with the windows closed i could feel the building moving i thought the second coming had began it scared me shitless. I had sinned and jesus was coming to get me. Only to find out it was a flash flood i guess a bunch of people died but jesus never came

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 06:06AM by gabriel.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.