Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 09:31PM

This may have been posted before,but here we go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dUI79EdDH9E

She makes being a woman in the church sound so fabulous. Its not. I look back and realize how guilty, stifled, how belittled, how second class I felt. Women get guilt. Thats what they get. Tons and tons of guilt.

Sheri forgot to mention that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 10:00PM

I saw this video first on Facebook when three of my friends posted it with their testimony of how much they love being a woman in the church. Yeah, she makes it sound really good. I suppose the church has given more "rights" to women over the years (such as praying in meetings), and sure we are able to teach, give talks, etc. But her story of writing two Prophets' biographies and being the president of Deseret Book is her's, not a bunch of other women can claim that. I'm surprised that she's so gung ho about the church. She's never been married, that must be hard. I heard her speak in college and she knows her church stuff, for sure. I knew that I couldn't be my authentic self being married to a Mormon and going to church (and the temple!). It just seems that it's asking for a lot of unnecessary stress.

Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 11:57AM

THere are more mothers in the church than women.

Women are independent, self confident, sexy, able to think for themselves, etc.

Women can be both a mother and a woman but mormonism stifles the woman starting at age 3.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:32PM

I heard her speak at a university. Her topic was "Why Single Woman Don't Need To Feel Lonely". In a nutshell, the three reasons single LDS women shouldn't feel lonely are: 1) They have God to lean on 2) They have their church family to lean on 3) They have their TBM family to lean on. She used all her LDS nieces and nephews as an example.

Sorry but that didn't resonate much with me because: 1) God wasn't doing anything I could see to make me feel great about myself as a single LDS female. 2) My ward "family" treated me like a leper 3) I had no LDS biological family members besides all of my family lived about 2,000 miles from where I lived.

Sorry Sheri, but not everybody fits in the same little TBM LDS box that you live in.

Posted by: secular ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 04:34PM

She probably masturbates to pictures of Jesus. Holy....it's how she's made it. Wedded to the bridegroom like a nun or something.

Posted by: Exmo Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:53PM

Pregnant.

Posted by: Jake ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 01:27PM

If there is one woman that most definitely cannot relate to typical LDS women, it's Sherri Dew. She has more in common with LDS men than women. My wife actually went to here her speak in the early stages of her path out of the church. When my wife got home I asked her if Sherri had convinced her to stay in the church. She laughed and replied, "Sherri knows the church is true because she has good nieces and nephews. A couple of them even go to Harvard!" My wife didn't see the correlation between lds people going to Harvard and the truthfulness of the church. The Sherri Dew experience was another step on my wife's path out. Thanks Sherri.

Posted by: Jake ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 01:29PM

....Hear....not here. Dang autocorrect

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 02:07PM

I've often wondered what Sheri Dew gets out of the church...she must really believe. I was a single, childless woman in the church for many decades and it was absolute hell. The only reason I stayed was because I bought the whole lie, hook, line and sinker. What other reason could she possibly have for staying?

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 02:24PM

She has two really great reasons to stay. Her family is TBM and would be shamed if she left. Second, she makes REALLY great money working for Deseret Books and has a high and mighty position that makes the G.A.'s want her as a speaker against feminism. Power, money, prestige are all pretty strong and seductive motivations to stay even if some things bother her which they must or she is brain dead.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 03:49PM

Okay, I guess I get the family thing. (I wonder how they treat her, though, as someone who has utterly failed at the business of eternal womanhood). The job, though, is something she could replicate outside the church if she wanted to. The prestige she gets as the token powerful single woman must trump everything.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 02:11PM

I made a comment about this "person" and "her speech." Most people hate what I'm saying, even when I asked somethink akin to, "If you had a terminal disease, and it could be cured by a woman, would you rather that a woman cure you or that woman be a monther?" The response has been, "A mother." So I finally said to the most recent poster something like, "So you'd rather be dead than be cured by a woman."

Posted by: nailamindi ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 03:23PM

The scientist who helped discover radioactivity and the elements of radium and plutonium also helped begin work towards using radiation as a cure for cancer. Coincidentally, Marie Curie was also a woman. So if you know someone who used radiation therapy to cure their cancer, this question becomes a lot less abstract...

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 03:54PM

"I just didn't go into doctrinal issues with him because I didn't think that would work with him."

No, you didn't go into doctrinal issues with him bc the doctrine oppresses women.

Much safer to just stick with personal anecdotes and a lot easier to make your points sound legit if you have 1 example to back them up.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 05:08PM

OK, so Sherri Dew -- probably the ONLY female in the LDS church that has been able to stand (somewhat) among the Big Boys at LD$ Inc. -- is SINGLE ?????

As in -- no Peter Priesthood wants her ???

ROTFL !!!!

Oh, yeah -- she is the PERFECT spokesperson for LDS women !!!

NOT !!!!!

Posted by: CienFuegos ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 05:21PM

She looks the type of Corporate mean Woman I'd love to get my hands on.....

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 05:25PM

Guys also get a heaping order of guilt. I don't know if it is more or less than women, but there is a lot of it.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 05:31PM

If Sheri's face is any indication, they get beaten with the ugly stick.

P.S. The spam prevention code for this post is FCKUB...FCK U B...is this intended for Dew?

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 05:41PM

Posted by: Former good girl ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 06:06PM

It was very obvious to me that Dew was respected because of her lineage and talents. She had the connections and then the smarts to create a niche for herself. However, I knew I would never be like her because I didn't have the Mormon royal lineage. But I realized if she couldn't get married with her connections because she was successful and "intimidating" I knew there was no hope for me to meet a guy who would "tolerate" my independence, intelligence, etc. So, she did help me get out. Within years of leaving I met awesome men who were nice to me and thought my intellectual pursuits and independence were awesome. Yay! I was never happier than when I dated outside the Mormon faith!!

Posted by: seeking peace ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 11:47PM

Some young feminists wrote a response to this and the TBM's are eating them alive! The responses are very telling about the mindset of most women in the church...and these women continue to call themselves Christian??

http://youngmormonfeminists.org/2013/10/11/a-response-to-sheri-dews-what-do-lds-women-get/

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 11:57PM

do you still want to do the dew ?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.