Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nerdfighter ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 10:41PM

I have posted on here about my younger brother getting his mission call. Well, yesterday was his farewell talk at church. My family knows me well enough not to invite me to church for any reason. This is great. I did attend the farewell party at my parents house. The sister missionaries just happened to be there.

We talked for a bit and the topic came up of me having left the LDS church. They asked why I had left and actually listened to my reasons. The topic of how Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon came up. One sister missionary had a look of shock when I told them that pro church sources admit to the "stones in hat" technique. I think I started or added to her cognitive dissonance.

They both also claimed not know how involved the church was in Proposition 8. This is weird because both apparently are from California.

It is interesting that the longer I have removed myself from the religion the more I am able to discuss things about it in a calm manner. A lot of the credit has to go to rfm. Thanks to everyone for helping in my own recovery.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 10:47PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 10:57PM

The Prop 8 fiasco was 5 years ago, so it is possible missionaries now were in middle school then, and they may well have not noticed. I was in HS during the height of the Civil Rights protests and was pretty clueless.

Posted by: nerdfighter ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 10:59PM

I never even thought about that. I was in high school at the time.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 11:19PM

You know, we all want to be nice and not hurt people's feelings. When TBMs ask why we left the church, we'll say something polite and non-committal like "It wasn't for me" when what we should be saying is "Because Mormonism is a fraud!"

I understand, especially if you have TBM family members, why one would hesitate to say something like that. But sometimes it just needs to be said and would be much more effective in getting people to think.

Posted by: gabriel ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 06:15AM

My buddy tyler told me that there in no evidence that the book of mormon is true.It stayed with me even when i pretended to know it was true. Glad i finally dont believe in that stuff anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 06:15AM by gabriel.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.