Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 11:44PM

Should I be concerned that the Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court believes in Satan?

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/10/07/scalia-says-satan-is-a-real-person/comment-page-46/

Scalia said the Devil has gotten "wilier" and convinced people that he and God don't exist. The justice added that he doesn't think that atheists are Satan's minions, but that disbelief in God "certainly favors the devil's desires."

Senior asked if it's "frightening" to believe in the devil, which seemed to annoy Scalia.

"You’re looking at me as though I’m weird," he answered. "My God! Are you so out of touch with most of America, most of which believes in the devil? I mean, Jesus Christ believed in the devil! It’s in the Gospels! You travel in circles that are so, so removed from mainstream America that you are appalled that anybody would believe in the devil! Most of mankind has believed in the devil, for all of history. Many more intelligent people than you or me have believed in the devil."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: finalfrontier ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 11:51PM

You know, I had liked the guy for a while, seemed to have some common sense. It was disappointing to hear him say that.

Posted by: tevainotloggedin ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 11:57PM

Gentle correction:

The CHIEF Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court is John Roberts.

Antonin Scalia is an ASSOCIATE Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.

Not that it makes all that much political difference, because it doesn't. ;-)

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 02:17AM

Oops. I was wrong about him being Chief Justice.

But, you'd agree Satan's getting Wilier?

Posted by: flyboy ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:59AM

Scalia is a very devout Catholic of the Eye-talian persuasion. He is a product of his upbringing.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 02:30AM

He is a product of his lies to himself and mental manipulation of his rational thinking. Taking the easy way out instead of reading and researching the topic of supernatural demons and other b.s.

Posted by: gabriel ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 05:33AM

It is strange after your out of the bubble it is hard to look back in and understand their rational.
Have you seen the democracy now report about Bush fulfilling war prophecies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Aq5s0IMgzg ps you might want to skip a min into it

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 10:23AM

Scalia is so conservative he sees a devil behind every tree.

He might be watching too many movies: The Usual Suspects, The Devil's Advocate, End of Days, etc.

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 11:31AM

Scalia IS the devil. He terrifies me.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 01:04PM

You meant he sees the devil in every mirror!

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 11:46AM

I didn't know most Americans, as Scalia said, believed in the Devil or Satan as a real person. I thought most believers lately, considered the devil to be the evil men do to one another of their own free will, and that evil being more the result of an absence of God rather than the presence of any other supernatural being.

ie: morals come from God/religion, therefore without either being present the natural man does man-made things that are evil to each other.

I thought it was why unbelievers, for many true believers, WERE considered devils or infidels. Or witches. Their unbelief made them evil, in and of itself.

I mean, isn't that their justification for religion in schools, prayer at public events, etc? That it is faith in God's existence and worship of him which keeps evil at bay? Otherwise, why aren't they for rooting out this devil person wherever he may be, and killing him so no more evil can be done?

Maybe not?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 11:47AM by bookratt.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 01:00PM

The concept of Satan is getting sillier

Posted by: lurker below ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 01:14PM

is it possible that people like that allow their religious beliefs to color their opinions and interpretations of the law? that scares me more than any devil real or imagined could.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.