Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: FoolMeOnce ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 09:33AM

I had a thought this morning...

If the "true gospel of Jesus Christ" brings happiness and blessings then I would expect to see at least some converts among the ranks of homosexuals who have turned from their life of "sin" to enjoy the fruits of the Gospel. I'm looking for practicing homosexuals who have already "come out" yet leave that behind to enjoy "the fruits of the Gospel".

Is anyone aware of any? All I know of are those who were BIC or converted while in denial or still in the closet, maybe thinking the Church would fix those feelings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 10:27AM

I would be really concerned about the mental state of anyone who made it out of the closet with all the trauma that can involve, with all the soul searching necessary to do that, and has embraced a full open life--and then decides he/she would prefer the fruits of the gospel to that, which means going back to the misery of self denial.

I've never known anyone to do this, but I can see it happening for anyone who hasn't completed the coming out process and learned to accept themselves and love themselves genuinely.

I don't think this varies much for straight people either. If you haven't really gotten to know yourself, accept yourself, love yourself as you should, you are much more likely to remain a victim of the TSCC. They count on your low self esteem.

Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:30PM

I know a few. They're worse off than closet cases.

One tried to date me. NO THANKS!

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 01:05PM

A friend of mine "used to be" gay. In the past he had even been in same sex relationships. He was raised mormon, and during that time, he was not going to church. At some point he decided to become straight due to pressure from church and/or extreme guilt (I assume). He eventually even decided to go on a mission in his mid-20's. He's now married with children and very TBM. He appears to be happy but I have no idea what's going on inside his mind. The only contact I've had with him in recent years is seeing his occasional FB posts.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 02:03PM

I briefly dated a guy who did that. He was fascinated by Mormonism and probably a little in love with the missionaries. He vowed to live a celibate life, but then he got lonely and met someone at church. At first they tried to live as platonic roommates, then only kissing holding hands, but you know that wouldn't last for long. His bf freaked out and confessed, so he quit the church and hasn't been back.

He only stayed Mormon for a couple of years. Now he has now been out of the church and out of the closet again for nearly a decade. I tried to ask him about it and he just said it was "a phase".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 02:04PM by axeldc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.