Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AnonAbdulJabbar ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 09:49AM

There are a number of individuals that state that they saw and/or felt (while still being covered in most, if not all cases) the gold plates. Did Joseph have a prop? Who created it? Joseph? Oliver? Sidney? How did he dispose of it?...... How was it that NO ONE, supposedly, pulled the cover/blanket/bag off of the prop (even with the risk of immediate destruction, per Joseph)?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: soju ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 09:58AM

It makes sense to me that Smith would have a prop, but I don't know of any definitive evidence of one. I don't think it would have been particularly hard to make one; I remember an activity I participated in as a member where we helped etch random characters into replica gold plates to make a prop some church guy needed. I can't remember what he was going to use it for.

Which reminds me of one of my "shelved" problems back in the day: the "characters" that made up reformed Egyptian did not look like a real language. I considered myself somewhat a linguist back then, having studied Japanese, learned Korean on mission, and having an interest in Hebrew and Egyptian hieroglyphics. The above mentioned languages all have some consistency and evident organization that you can recognize as a language. The characters Smith produced looked like the kind of thing people who don't understand Chinese make up when they are mimicking Chinese characters.

Posted by: tenaciousd ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 10:30AM

But the Prophet Joseph did indeed know Chinese as he demonstrated with his translation of the Kinderhook Pl...

Oh, right.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:27PM

Multiple people said that Joseph told them that they would die if they looked at the plates. Martin Harris was also told that he would die if he looked at Joe's peep stone. Many probably believed him, but we know that some didn't. This may be why much of the translation was done without the plates present. I'm sure Emma's dad, Martin's wife, and others would have tried to take a peek and expose the fraud. I wouldn't be suprised if Joe destroyed the prop pretty early on...it would have been pretty embarassing if his treasure hunting buddies had discovered his tin plates.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:38PM

I'm betting there's a good reason that the plates were described as "having the thickness of common tin".

Posted by: brother not of jared ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:47PM

If I remember correctly, one theory was that old copper printer's plates were used to create a prop for the alleged 'gold plates'

check out :
http://mormonleaks.com/

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 01:23PM

If you remove everyone who is implicated with being "in" on the con, then as far as I'm aware the remaining reliable accounts of the plates describe something that can very easily be described as a box full of sand under a pillowcase.

Posted by: Hold Your Tapirs ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 01:26PM

It was reported that the plates were around 40-60 pounds in weight. I can't remember where I saw it, but I once read an article that gave the weight calculations, based on the reported dimensions of the plates, for several metals.

Gold, brass, and copper would all have been too heavy. Tin was the only metal that landed in that 40-60 pound range.

Quite a coincidence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 01:27PM by Hold Your Tapirs.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 01:43PM

Remember, the "witnesses" only "saw" the plates with the spiritual eyes, meaning they sat around, and pretended they saw an angel holding the plates. There were a few people who claimed to have held the plates through a blanket, but they were not allowed to see them. As someone pointed out, you would have no problem allowing someone to hold tin plates that were so hidden, but the moment they saw them the game would be up. Also, isn't it amazing how the Ark of the Covenant was so sacred that you were not allowed to touch it, but you could see it (just don't look inside) whereas the gold plates were exactly the opposite?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.