Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 12:13AM

To set the scene so that the Spirit of the Lord may be present, here's "Battlestar Galactica's" trailer from the first season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvYVR6XXsHA
_____

Now that the laying on of hands has taken place, the "BG"-LDS connection can be revealed from http://home.comcast.net/~billotto/Mormon_N_BSG.html:

"'Observations on the Correlation Between 'Battlestar Galactica' and the LDS Church'

"(Note: Glen A. Larson was a member of the Mormon Church and certainly was more than aware that he was creating a parallel between the show and the church).

"1. Organization: The colonies were based on a president and a council or quorum of twelve. The two words 'council' and "quorum" are used synonymously.

"LDS: The LDS church is headed by a president and a council or quorum of twelve. The two words 'council' and 'quorum' are used synonymously.

"2. Origin: The colonies originated on the planet Kobol, were all life began. The 'Lords' lived there. It was called 'The Lost Planet of Ancient Gods.'

"LDS: The LDS church believes that the Lord lives on the planet Kolob (see The Book of Abraham, Ch. 3, found in The Pearl of Great Price).

"3. Tribes: The colonies were started by the 13 tribes which left Kobol and formed the 12 colonies. The thirteenth tribe was lost and is believed to have gone to the Earth. In 'Saga of a Star World,' Commander Adama delivered the following speech about their origins: 'Our recorded history tells us we descended from a mother colony, a race that went out into space to establish colonies. Those of us assembled here now represent the only known surviving Colonists, save one. A sister world, far out in the universe, remembered to us only through ancient writings . . . .' He goes on to assert that the 'lost thirteenth tribe' colonized Earth. Something called The Book of The Word described the journey of the tribes of man away from Kobol.

"LDS: The LDS church believes that the 13 tribes of Israel were scattered and colonized the Earth. The 13th tribe was lost, but is believed to be in an undiscovered part of the Earth. Some have concluded that the Book of Mormon describes the 13th tribe and its journey to the Western Hemisphere. This is incorrect. The l3th tribe is still considered lost.

"4. Egyptians: The ancient records and the culture of the colonies is based on hieroglyphics and pyramids. The fighter helmet worn in a viper strongly resembles an Egyptian Sphinx.

"LDS: The LDS information about Kolob and similar topics is supported by a document called the Pearl of Great Price which contains hieroglyphics written in ancient Egypt, and translated by a modern day president.

"5. Marriage: The colonists use the word 'seal' in preference to marriage, and a couple is sealed 'not only for now but for all the eternities.' (Adama in 'Lost Planet of Ancient Gods').

"LDS: In the LDS church, marriage refers to a secular joining and 'sealing' referes to a bond sanctified by God and 'not only for time, but for all eternity.'

"6. Younger Wives: In 'Living Legend,' Apollo tells Starbuck to re-read the Book of the Word, some of the ancient leaders of the tribes 'were married to some very young wives.'

"LDS: In the LDS church, older leaders of the church frequently have young wives.

"7. Nature of God: The colonists believe that gods are progressed and more perfect and knowledgeable humans. At the end of War of the Gods, Part 2, the superior life form ('angel') uses the words 'As you are now, we once were; as we are now, you may become' to explain the relationship between them and man.

"LDS: The LDS church believes identically. Lorenzo Snow, an early Mormon President and Prophet, said, 'As man is now, God once was; as God now is, man may become.'

"8. Free Agency: In 'War of the Gods,' when the powerful being Count Iblis (Satan) tried to take over the fleet, it was discovered that just as the colonists believed, the Count could not force people to follow him and only had power over those who chose to follow of their own free will.

"LDS: Among members of the LDS church, freedom of choice between good and evil is a cornerstone to their philosophy of life. According to the Mormon account of creation (The Book of Moses, Ch. 4, found in The Pearl Of Great Price), one of the reasons God cast Satan out of heaven was because he 'sought to destroy the agency of man.'

"9. Tribunal: When Starbuck was suspected of murder, he was tried by a tribunal.

"LDS: The LDS church tries its members for transgressions in a tribunal.

"10. Sayings: Colonial saying 'The glory of the universe is intelligence,' as spoken by Dillon in Galactica 1980. ('The Super Scouts')

"LDS: 'The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth.' (Doctrine and Covenants #93)

"11. Genealogy: Starbuck's father was a genetic tracer. This was viewed as 'a sacred work.'

"LDS: The LDS church is obsessed with genealogy. Members are expected to find their ancestors’ names so that their ancestors can be baptized vicariously.

"12. Original Sin: The episode 'The Lost Warrior' explores the concept of original sin as Starbuck is imprisoned with a large number of nth generational sinners. 'You mean you are imprisoned here for sins committed by your ancestors,' asks Starbuck. 'Well, at least we're not original sinners like you,' comes the reply. Clearly, original sin is a ridiculous idea to the Colonies.

"LDS: The LDS Church in The Articles of Faith makes it clear that it believes that individuals are accountable for their own sins and not for the sins of Adam or any of the individual's ancestors.

"13. Nature of Man and Angels: In 'Experiment in Terra,' aboard the Ship of Lights, the 'angel' John says to Apollo, 'I have no physical body, as you know it.' What do we see when we look at him? It looks like a body, but it is 'a reflection of intelligence. My spirit, if you will.'

"LDS: The LDS Church teaches that humans have physical bodies of flesh and blood. The spirit looks just like the body but can only be seen with spiritual eyes. At resurrection, the body and spirit are re-joined. The two together are called the 'soul.' The immortal soul has a body of flesh and bones. It is taught that the blood is the part of the body that makes it mortal. Blood is replaced with a spiritual fluid at resurrection. The Battlestar Galactican 'angel' John is apparently a spirit, not a soul."

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 01:35AM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 12:22AM

Steve,

Your posts are very intelligent and well thought. No wonder few can read you. Your thoughts are far beyond what most can digest. You are far beyond what most can read. Certainly beyond what most can write.

I appreciate your writing.

That said, this post is to mark your analysis since I'm about to fall asleep and I want to read it when I have my wits about me. Keep posting. I love to read it. I'll post again tomorrow.

MiB.

Date: February 05, 2011 12:28AM

I can't take credit for the info; that's why I sourced it.

Perhaps you were too groggy to notice. :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 12:45AM by steve benson.

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 11:36AM

Ok much more alert now.

There does seem to be a strong correlation here. A coincidence here or there doesn't mean much, but when they happen repeatedly you begin to have a case that there may be a connection.

I'm sure that this could be plotted and graphed to show the statical significance of correlation. But anyone who took the time to do that should may as well do it as a thesis, dissertation or published work for the time it would end up taking.

Even without data to back it up this looks to be a strong correlation. I'd have to do further research but it's possible there may have been a Mormon writer or director or other influencing factor. Or perhaps the writers were fascinated with mysticism and the Mormons just happened to be the closest mystic group to Hollywood.

Posted by: joesmyth ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 12:25AM

Not disagreeing with what MiB said or anything, I just thought the relationship between the show and the religion were a given. One of so many reasons the original version was just unwatchable.

Date: February 05, 2011 12:30AM

Posted by: olympia ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 07:09AM

I used to have a housmate who was involved in the Battlestar Galactica International Fan Club and he had told me that the original creator and writer of the series was indeed a Mormon and it was clear that he had used a bunch of stuff from the faith to create the show.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 09:56AM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 10:21AM

I'm a big science fiction fan and I watched re-runs of the original Battlestar Galactica growing up. One the reasons that I thought that Mormonism was "cool" (from an outsider kids point of view) was because it was like BSG. I thought that it came from the show. That was long before I found out about Joseph Smith, polygamy with teen girls, racism, fraud, imaginary golden plates (notice how they were always called "plate" as in "treasure" and not gold leaf, pages or tablets), sexism, intolerance and the like.

Now there are religions based on the Force and the Matrix... Didn't you all know that the Force used George Lucas as an instrument to make knowledge of the Force known here on Earth?

Posted by: dieter ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 12:41PM

Id join mormonism if they let me fly a space fighter. BoA, joey Jr and all that be damned im a spacefighter pilot. They dont. Ill just continue being a jedi. I think we outnumber wiccans in england

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 10:42AM

All my sci-fi friends were "it's so cool!" and I was like "it's craptastic!"

Now I know why.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 11:46AM

I used to read tons of scifi when I was a kid and I hate this show. Maybe I'm smarter than I think.

Posted by: paulrc ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 02:14PM

I had no idea, lol. That's really pretty funny. It makes sense with what I see of all the Mormon interest in space and all that. Just struck me that makes Mormonism a bit like Scientology. Maybe the biggest difference is that at least L. Ron admitted to be a science fiction writer.

Posted by: dieter ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 02:50PM

Lrons imprausible story is also much btter then Joeys. Biblical Era prophets haves always annoyed me. Why entrust important info to white bearded homeless men who more then likely reek of urine?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 02:52PM by dieter.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 02:52PM

Gad ! Talk about bad acting ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00s9u9xhENE

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.