Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 01:03AM

You are a wealth of information, a tour de force that is as well-armed as anyone to present history, fact, logic and evidence against the fallacies of Mormonism. (pious fraud, polygamy, the secrets of Nauvoo, whatever--we name it, you got it).

Why not return here for an encore (followed by several more on a much-needed and regular basis)?

The newbies would be awed and the oldies would be grateful.

You owe it to the planet, dammit.

C'mon, folks, line up and tell him why!

All in favor, so signify by raising your beer to the square!

Any opposed, you're on the wrong board.

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 01:28AM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BenJensen ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 01:15AM

I intrigued. Bring out the Decon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 01:23AM by patterpat.

Date: February 05, 2011 01:17AM

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 01:18AM

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 07:20AM

That would be cool.

C'mon, Decon!

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 07:20AM by Timothy.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 02:15AM

You made me grin, Steve, thanks...

I completely agree, what Steve said...

Decon!

Posted by: roflmao ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 03:11AM

I am not making this up. I thought Steve B was Decon!

Weird!

I love you to Deconstructor.

Post anything, stream of consciousness, navel contemplation!

Date: February 05, 2011 09:14PM

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 03:55AM

I am intrigued. Decon sounds like a person who needs to reveal himself to us newbies. Come out n' play!!

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 01:44PM

DECON DECON DECON DECON DECON DECON DECON DECON DECON

<yelling and stomping feet>

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 03:27PM

I've only been here for two years, has he posted a lot during the past two years?

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 11:37PM

it is very evident that he has HAD a positive affect on this board...... used to be on a lot more......join in the chant...
DECON DECON DECON DECON DECON!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 11:37PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 04:16PM

"Decon, I command you to come forth BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL!"

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 04:51PM

Date: February 05, 2011 08:45PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 09:13PM by steve benson.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 05:50PM

The StalkerDog'll come and get you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: February 05, 2011 08:55PM

Below (from another thread) is Decon's reply to the plea that he return to RfM on a more regular basis:

Posted by: Deconstructor
Date: February 05, 2011 11:05AM

"I appreciate that, but things have changed for me.

"I've been out of the church for ten years now, and I've found other interests. But I still maintain my web site and lurk here occasionally. Some of the board rules changed which put a real damper on my posts too.

"It's nice to see you, Steve Benson, still carrying the torch."
_____

Here's my response back to him:

Posted by: steve benson
Date: February 05, 2011 08:48PM

"Board rules can sometimes affect us in ways we do not wish but, on balance, I think this forum is better with your posts than it is without them, even if some board rules may crimp your style in certain ways.

"C'mon back, man.

"Those here recovering from Mormonism here need you here."

Make your case to him, people.

He's looking, lurking and listening.

Now he just needs convincing.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 09:16PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 09:31PM

Decon wrote (in another thread, reprinted here by OP): "Some of the board rules changed which put a real damper on my posts too."

Not that anybody needs to account for whether they continue to post here or move on, but I'd be interested to know what this was about. I don't recall any major change in board rules or any rule that would dissuade Decon from posting the type of material he did. I remember that much of it involved church history and quotes from Mormon leaders. They may have at times included disallowed words here (such as the 'N' word) as I recall. That could get your post nuked or held up somehow. I know that can be frustrating. Maybe it was something like that.

Too, though, many great posters have come and then moved on. It's part of the bittersweet experience for regular RfM posters.

I think it's a great accolade to be remembered still years after you've stopped posting. There are a few in that class. We're lucky to have intersected with them at all. Not that I put them on a pedestal, but I do acknowledge their ability to help many other posters. That is a gift. I don't like to see anyone go but am happy to have at least been around during their posting years.

One great thing about RfM is that nobody sends HTs and VTs out there trying to drag anyone back! But a little healthy encouragement could be in order. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 09:32PM by Nightingale.

Date: February 05, 2011 09:34PM

. . . with approaches that were also perhaps a bit controversial.

Don't know for sure and don't feel comfortable specifying when I'm just speculating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 09:35PM by steve benson.

Date: February 05, 2011 10:33PM

But really, it's OK. I'll respect Decon's privacy. But I'd be among the crowd to welcome him back, any time.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 09:03PM

Posts with substance are always better than trolls, who, unfortunately, often get more attention, and detract from useful information, and people in need of support. Personally, I am not an expert in many things, but do not like to spend time writing posts any more that no one will read.

I would raise a gluten-free beer if I had one.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 09:08PM

It's organized into topics with evidence after evidence that can be copied and pasted for antagonistic believers. Very useful. I hope he continues to maintain that, even if he has moved on.

Date: February 05, 2011 09:13PM

Decon was one of the big posters way back when I first came here. There was a group of them that regularly discussed the substantive issues of Mormonism. I well remember some of the main topics and fascinating info and was amazed at the knowledge and research some posters had. I did not have any experience of that in my mo church interlude, people having that depth of knowledge I mean. I had no clue that it was possible to know that much about the church and its leaders.

Church history, of which I was woefully ignorant, was a popular topic (still is). It really opened my eyes and helped me to see my mo experience from a different viewpoint. Discussion of the life of JS and his family was informative, as were the posts about archaeology, the ancient world, weapons (steel etc) and agriculture, as well as gay issues and other hot button topics that added immensely to my awareness and knowledge base.

I still remember the shock and dismay I felt upon reading about the racism and homophobia in the Mormon Church. That was not apparent to me in the wards I attended. I had a hint of the latter on a visit to SLC where a friendly guy I met through a friend hospitably shared a meal with me and at some point remarked that he didn't go to the temple because "I am not worthy" (due to being gay). I was truly shocked, not necessarily that a person would be shunted aside within a religious group (I had plenty of experience of that in EV groups) but that s/he would actually buy into that themselves, as he seemed to do (not saying "they say I'm not worthy" but saying "I'm not worthy"). That really got me feeling uncomfortable with the "worthy" thing in Mormonism. I had never liked the concept anyway, as it's a strong EV principle (my pre-mo background) that nobody is worthy except the Lord Jesus Christ (which is the reason for that whole cross thing).

I felt ashamed for having to chosen an organization that would not only have racism and homophobia etc in its history but that perpetuated them late into the 20th century.

Too, most everything I know about Mormon scripture, doctrine and practices I learned here! (I can see Mormons cringing now). But for an interested, inquisitive new convert I found few sources of information in the church (or my nearly mo-free town) and questions were generally viewed as being "contentious". Absolutely no information, I found, was "essential for our salvation" and anything less than unquestioning obedience was seen as being problematic ("you have the wrong attitude"). To try and keep me in line (i.e., docile), despite my questions, problems or protests, the bishop often stated "But you've been to THE TEMPLE!" as if that answers all. Well, that's what they say but that is not my experience.

After a few yrs at RfM, despite figuring I'd now heard pretty much all there was to know, Deconstructor still holds the record for posting the biggest jaw-dropper for me a few years back when he presented information about JS and abortions. I was truly stunned. I guess I'd still been on the fence about JS and whether he "lied", whether he was truly religious, how honourable he was, etc. Even at a distance of only a couple hundred yrs it is hard to be certain when you're in the realm of speculation, interpretation, conflicting information and biased opinions. To find out about the seedy sex life of this supposedly Christian man, whom so many still hold in high esteem - to quite a cost - and then to discover that there is written proof with back-up to show that he arranged abortions for some of his women was shocking in the extreme for me.

Nasty history that fortunately dedicated people like Decon collect and preserve to inform others of what is really true.

I can understand that people move on from RfM but fortunately for us, we at least have Decon's web site for reference.

I hope at least he continues to post his annual hot cross buns story here. I love story repetition (tell me a story daddy!) and many from sincere and talented posters deserve to live on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 09:21PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: BenJensen ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 10:23PM

Okay, where is the website!? I am a noob here and can't stand the teasing anymore! From what you have said this is exactly the kind of productive and fascinating info I came here for in the first place! (The support is huge too...)

Date: February 05, 2011 10:52PM

Rethinking Mormonism:

http://www.i4m.com/

Try looking up Richard Packham too. His site will take you a month or two of Sundays to get through. I seem to have lost the link but Google his name and a lot of choices come up.

Enjoy!

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 10:16AM

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 11:43PM

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 11:13PM

Posted by: Dave ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 07:26AM

Come back!!

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 10:07AM

, Mr. Packhams web site, "mormonthink", and this forum - we all so very instrumental in my deconversion. So Decon, thanks buddy, for all your effort.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.