Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 02:44AM

This is about Eric Ethington's tires getting slashed at BYU...

http://prideinutah.com/?p=8943

But the reason he was there is intriguing... Are there gay rights activists at BYU?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: joesmyth ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 02:56AM

Wow, I'd expect tire slashing from Baptists, but Mormons? Ugh, then again in SLC anything goes. The homophobia was my first big disagreement with the church. First or second week I think. I believe they convinced me it wasn't homophobia, per se.

I was halfway out, years later, when the worst I'd heard so far was that some guy driving the car was complaining about the song on the radio because the singer was gay and that made him uncomfortable. I thought it was BS, but this? Honestly, I'd put a camera on my car with a sign that says "Slash my tires. I WANT you to!" Morons.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 06:30AM

BTW, that's how we spell "tire" in Australia. :-)

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 08:22AM

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 12:29PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 12:35PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 12:57PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 03:19PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 08:04AM

Years ago, this would be the very early 1970s, a missionary from Utah who was classified as "a troubled young man" was telling all and sundry bout how he hated Mexicans and how he was a member of a gang who hunted Mexicans down in Salt Lake City and beat the crap out of them with baseball bats and whatever else came to hand.

I was about 12 or 13 or so and he gleefully told me the best way to cripple a member of an enemy gang, aka a Mexican, without actually touching them yourself. Though he didn't use the term Mexican.

The other missionaries were fearful of him, and said that he would have been in jail in Salt Lake City, but his family had connections and managed to have his crime brushed under the carpet, so long as he served a mission.

So MJ, I have to say I am not surprised Eric had his tyres slashed. If that arsehole of a missionary ever had children and he raised them in his beliefs and attitudes, along with the other members of his Mormon gang, I think things there could get far, far worse. Which is very worrying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 08:04AM by matt.

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 08:17AM

"blood atonement." I am not an FBI profiler, but I assume that the "slashing" was from a mid-aged male, who attended the temple prior to 1990. The slashing is merely an symbolic gesture of his initial temple endowment wherein the same motion is used.

On a more serious note, I wonder about the validity of this claim.

Date: February 05, 2011 08:25AM

Steven Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "blood atonement." I am not an FBI profiler, but
> I assume that the "slashing" was from a mid-aged
> male, who attended the temple prior to 1990. The
> slashing is merely an symbolic gesture of his
> initial temple endowment wherein the same motion
> is used.
>
> On a more serious note, I wonder about the
> validity of this claim.

Yes, Steven. Those gays. They are such a bunch of liars, aren't they? Always willing to dis TSCC. But Why? What COULD gay men and women and their families have against TSCC? Got an hour or two, Steven? There are plenty of people here who have a lot to tell you about that.

Date: February 05, 2011 08:36AM

holes in the story is all, regardless of his situation. Just using my critical thinking skills, and not believing everything I hear or read anymore. Oh, trust me, I already know how bigoted, racist, sexist, and homophobic TSCC is.

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 11:00AM

Eric Ethington puts his contact information on his website, which is listed in the OP. You can go straight to the source.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 12:26PM

I believe he's pretty well known as an activist. I doubt he'd risk his reputation to make Mormons look bad when they do a good job of that by themselves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 12:47PM by munchybotaz.

Date: February 05, 2011 08:40AM

>I wonder about the validity of this claim.

That was the implication. Wondering about the validity of this claim.

It certainly sounded as if you did not believe him.

Date: February 05, 2011 09:03AM

"his" claim, and I was not sure that I believed "him" However, that is far removed from generalizing and stereotyping the entire gay communitym, which is what you implied, Matt.

Date: February 05, 2011 12:42PM

Steven Wrote:
> "his" claim, and I was not sure that I believed
> "him" However, that is far removed from
> generalizing and stereotyping the entire gay
> communitym, which is what you implied, Matt.

Sorry if you do not like people pointing to flaws and holes in your posts.

Date: February 05, 2011 02:48PM

Otherwise, I could care less, Matt.

Date: February 05, 2011 03:37PM

"My car has nothing on it that would identify me personally, but I do have both an HRC equality sticker and a Utah ACLU sticker on my back bumper.." AS COMPARED TO, "the one car in the parking lot identifiable as belong to someone in the LGBT community or an ally."

SO WHICH IS IT? THESE TWO STATEMENTS SEEM MINORLY INTRINSICALLY INCONSISTENT

"However the moment I got onto the freeway the car almost spun out of control as my front right tire went completely flat as well. I spent 30 minutes on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. Upon closer inspection, I realized both tires had been slashed."

IF BOTH TIRES HAD TRULY BEEN SLASHED, BOTH TIRES WOULD HAVE BEEN FLAT IN THE BYU VISITOR PARKING LOT, BECAUSE THE AMOUNT OF AIR ESCAPING IS MUCH MORE THAN A SMALL HOLE OR A PUNCTURE. SLASHING A TIRE RESULTS IN ALMOST IMMEDIATE DEFLATION. PLUS,
AFTER OBSERVING ONE TIRE HAVING BEEN SLASHED, IT WOULD SEEM REASONABLE FOR SOMEONE TO CHECK ALL OF HIS/HER TIRES AS WELL.

THE ACCOUNT SEEMS TAD BIT EMBELLESHED THE WAY HE EXPLAINS IT. HE WAS ABLE TO NOT ONLY DRIVE ONTO THE HIGHWAY A FEW MILES AWAY, BUT ALMOST LOST CONTROL OF HIS CAR. ONCE A TIRE IS SLASHED, THE AIR QUICKLY ESCAPES. SIDEWALLS ARE USUALLY WHAT IS "SLASHED" BECAUSE THE RUBBER IS EASY TO CUT THROUGH BEING SEVERAL MILLIMETERS THINNER THAN THE THREAD. IN OTHER WORDS ITS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO SLASH THE TREAD, AND A SLASHER WOULD SLASH A TIRE ON THE OUTSIDE AS OPPOSED REACHING AROUND THE BACKSIDE OF THE CAR. IT TAKES TO MUCH TIME, AND SLASHER WANTS TO DO THIS QUICKLY SO AS TO GO UNSEEN.

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE BELIEVABLE IF HE WOULD HAVE SAID PUNCTURE, BUT NO HE SAID SLASHED. I DON'T SEE ANY SLASH MARKS IN THE PICTURE, AND IF YOU'RE GOING TO POST ONE PICTURE, WHY NOT TWO PICS". WHY NOT ACTUALLY TAKE CLOSE UP OF THE SO CALLED SLASH MARKS. THANKS TO RFM FOR TEACHING ME TO THINK CRITICALLY OF WHAT I READ, WITHOUT ANY BIAS. PLUS I AM A FRAUD INVESTIGATOR BY TRADE.

..then finally, my favorite,
"Fuck Utah County man, seriously. Everyone remember Pulp Fiction? You know the scene that was going through my head tonight. Totally filing a report with BYU police."

DO YOU EXPECT ME OR ANY REASONABLE CRITICAL THINKER TO FIND THE ALLEGATIONS OF SOMEONE TO BE CREDIBLE, WHEN HE REFERS TO A SCENE OF SLAUGHTER, MAYHEM, AND MURDER TOWARD INNOCENT PEOPLE IN A POLICE STATION SIMPLY BECAUSE HE IS MIFFED ABOUT A FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS WORTH OF DAMAGE. SERIOUSLY MATT? I MEAN REALLY. THIS YOUNG MAN SEEMS VERY TROUBLED AND DISTURBED TO ME, AND A VERY POOR EXAMPLE OF THE COMMUNITY THAT HE IS REPRESENTING. HE SHOULD BE ASHAMED, AND HE NEEDS SOME THERAPY FOR HIS APPARENT VIOLENT TENDENCIES. IF I WERE IN THAT COMMUNITY, I WOULD TAKE A STEP BACK FROM A LOUD MOUTH LIKE THAT BECAUSE IT MAKES EVERYONE LOOK BAD.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 03:52PM

Steven Wrote:
> "My car has nothing on it that would identify me
> personally, but I do have both an HRC equality
> sticker and a Utah ACLU sticker on my back
> bumper.." AS COMPARED TO, "the one car in the
> parking lot identifiable as belong to someone in
> the LGBT community or an ally."
>
> SO WHICH IS IT? THESE TWO STATEMENTS SEEM MINORLY
> INTRINSICALLY INCONSISTENT
>

Um, no, those two things do not identify him personally, they only say that the person who owns the car is a member of particular organizations, not who that person is personally.

> "However the moment I got onto the freeway the car
> almost spun out of control as my front right tire
> went completely flat as well. I spent 30 minutes
> on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck.
> Upon closer inspection, I realized both tires had
> been slashed."
>
> IF BOTH TIRES HAD TRULY BEEN SLASHED, BOTH TIRES
> WOULD HAVE BEEN FLAT IN THE BYU VISITOR PARKING
> LOT, BECAUSE THE AMOUNT OF AIR ESCAPING IS MUCH
> MORE THAN A SMALL HOLE OR A PUNCTURE. SLASHING A
> TIRE RESULTS IN ALMOST IMMEDIATE DEFLATION.

That depends on how deep the slash is. They may have slashed but not deep enough to cause a major leak or any leak at all UNTIL the car was actually moving.

> PLUS,
> AFTER OBSERVING ONE TIRE HAVING BEEN SLASHED, IT
> WOULD SEEM REASONABLE FOR SOMEONE TO CHECK ALL OF
> HIS/HER TIRES AS WELL.

It would seem so, but if the slash on the other tire was not deep enough to cause major leakage, it may well have looked OK at a casual glance.

>
> THE ACCOUNT SEEMS TAD BIT EMBELLESHED THE WAY HE
> EXPLAINS IT.

Not to me, there are perfectly valid explanations that would account for the way the story is told.

> HE WAS ABLE TO NOT ONLY DRIVE ONTO
> THE HIGHWAY A FEW MILES AWAY, BUT ALMOST LOST
> CONTROL OF HIS CAR. ONCE A TIRE IS SLASHED, THE
> AIR QUICKLY ESCAPES. SIDEWALLS ARE USUALLY WHAT IS
> "SLASHED" BECAUSE THE RUBBER IS EASY TO CUT
> THROUGH BEING SEVERAL MILLIMETERS THINNER THAN THE
> THREAD. IN OTHER WORDS ITS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO
> SLASH THE TREAD, AND A SLASHER WOULD SLASH A TIRE
> ON THE OUTSIDE AS OPPOSED REACHING AROUND THE
> BACKSIDE OF THE CAR. IT TAKES TO MUCH TIME, AND
> SLASHER WANTS TO DO THIS QUICKLY SO AS TO GO
> UNSEEN.
>

Yes, a tire slasher that wants to slash and run may not stick around to see if they actaully penetrated deep enough. Tire are not all that easy to slash.

> IT WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE BELIEVABLE IF HE WOULD
> HAVE SAID PUNCTURE, BUT NO HE SAID SLASHED. I
> DON'T SEE ANY SLASH MARKS IN THE PICTURE, AND IF
> YOU'RE GOING TO POST ONE PICTURE, WHY NOT TWO
> PICS". WHY NOT ACTUALLY TAKE CLOSE UP OF THE SO
> CALLED SLASH MARKS. THANKS TO RFM FOR TEACHING ME
> TO THINK CRITICALLY OF WHAT I READ, WITHOUT ANY
> BIAS. PLUS I AM A FRAUD INVESTIGATOR BY TRADE.
>

Not a very good one from my reading.

> ..then finally, my favorite,
> "Fuck Utah County man, seriously. Everyone
> remember Pulp Fiction? You know the scene that was
> going through my head tonight. Totally filing a
> report with BYU police."
>
> DO YOU EXPECT ME OR ANY REASONABLE CRITICAL
> THINKER TO FIND THE ALLEGATIONS OF SOMEONE TO BE
> CREDIBLE, WHEN HE REFERS TO A SCENE OF SLAUGHTER,
> MAYHEM, AND MURDER TOWARD INNOCENT PEOPLE IN A
> POLICE STATION SIMPLY BECAUSE HE IS MIFFED ABOUT A
> FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS WORTH OF DAMAGE. SERIOUSLY
> MATT? I MEAN REALLY. THIS YOUNG MAN SEEMS VERY
> TROUBLED AND DISTURBED TO ME, AND A VERY POOR
> EXAMPLE OF THE COMMUNITY THAT HE IS REPRESENTING.
> HE SHOULD BE ASHAMED, AND HE NEEDS SOME THERAPY
> FOR HIS APPARENT VIOLENT TENDENCIES. IF I WERE IN
> THAT COMMUNITY, I WOULD TAKE A STEP BACK FROM A
> LOUD MOUTH LIKE THAT BECAUSE IT MAKES EVERYONE
> LOOK BAD.

Do you expect me to take someone as credible that types with the caps look on? They guy was angry and I don't blame him. As a gay man I can tell you that any attack on me or my property because I am gay is a very frightening experience and it does bring up memories of how some of my friends were nearly beaten to death, so yes, I understand the linkage.

Date: February 05, 2011 04:06PM

and then, when I posted not one but two links demonstrating that there really more R-rated movies--A LOT more, only they make less money than G and PG-13--sort of like failed to acknowledge that he was wrong.

But, hey--who's keeping track.

:-)

Date: February 05, 2011 05:27PM

Forgive him for being a tad upset, OK?

And don't use all caps.

And you are a fraud investigator? Depends what type. Some fraud investigators genuinely investigate fraud, others merely pick holes in legitimate insurance claims to let their employer off the hook for settling claims. I know a person who makes a good income investigating the latter type of fraud investigator on behalf of people making claims against business insurance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 05:34PM by matt.

Date: February 05, 2011 12:11PM

Posted by: paulrc ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 02:24PM

I suppose there are tire slashers in every walk of life.

Okay, sorry, bad joke (for those demented enough to get it).

Posted by: LongOut ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 03:01PM

You would expect tire slashing from Baptists. Wow. Only a TBM would say that, and nobody on this thread picked up on it. Thugs slash tires....but you specifically said Baptists -straight from the traditional "we hate Baptists" Mormon edict. Man, do you have A LOT of work to do. It is a truly bizarre concept as seen from the outside. This is not a place to bash other religions, but at least you are an obedient Mormon.

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 04:22PM

LongOut Wrote:
> You would expect tire slashing from Baptists. Wow.
> Only a TBM would say that, and nobody on this
> thread picked up on it.

I actually already found it quite a bewildering statement. But then I'm a country hick from a mountain village in the Alps, so I don't think I've ever seen any Baptists.

Seriously though, I think joesmyth was thinking of the Westboro Baptist Church. You know, the freaky "God hates fags" cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 04:23PM by Zeno Lorea.

Posted by: LongOut ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 05:00PM

For reasons I don't fully understand, there has been a long-standing (possibly many, many generation-long) mutual hatred between Baptists and Mormons. Mormons like to think other denominations hate them, too (ESP Catholics), but they are generally ignored by other religions. It feeds into their persecution complex to think that other religions give a flying rat's ass that they exist.

Date: February 05, 2011 05:31PM

That's why TBMs might have a down on Baptists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 05:31PM by matt.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.