Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous for this. ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 07:23AM

I was made homeless during the recent flooding in SE Queensland which included the metropolitan area of Brisbane, a city of 2 million that was sent back to the stone age for a week - no power or water.

Outside the city, when the flash flood subsided, cars were found jammed under bridges with bodies inside. They still have not found up to 60 bodies who may be jammed up trees, still in homes, or washed out to sea.

In the aftermath, I was working on the cleanup during the first few days when authorities allowed people back into the flooded zones. I was working around Mormons, because my family is still Mormon. I became aware that the Mormon people are extremely generous with their time and labour. However, what I also noticed was that Mormons help Mormons and no one else.It was all about "Brother"and "Sister", no one at the house I was working at even bothered to speak to any neighbours who were also working through this.

There was even scowls and sarcastic comments made to hard working city employees who were given 6 packs of beer by people to take home.

At the same time, groups of young men from churches in non-flood impacted suburbs and adjoining cities drove up to an hour with their own cleaning supplies to help out people they had never met.

You know what else? The usual BS paranormal talk was EVERYWHERE amongst the Mormons. It's a "sign of the times" - no, it's a sign that urban areas with millions of people in them tend to get hit hard when they are built on a slow, meandering river in a sub-tropical climate.

There was also much talk about 2012, which is not Mormon dogma but is still apocalyptic talk. They LOVE this sh!+.

OH, and on the subject of end of days preparation, food storage is the biggest waste of time imaginable. Australia gets hit with severe bushfires (forest fires?) and floods. Bushfires here are like a volcano going off. All the trees have OIL in the leaves and bark so they virtually explode. The dry bark of many trees hangs down like fuses. These trees evolved so the fire front would pass quickly and not destroy the lignotubers of trees that sprout immediately after the next rain. With houses however, the heat is so intense that nothing remains, including drums of fucking wheat. Water evaporates, after the can melts.

In floods, and I now have personal experience of this, flood waters 3 metres (9.84 feets) over a SEALED TIGHT plastic drum of sterile water will force impurities into the drum. I've seen sealed tight canisters of wheat rupture after a few days and the stench is something "straight from Satan's bottom". All that came of the wheat stored at one house I saw was a new way to attract all the flies within a 50km radius. Unbelievable. Imagine an oil drum of wheat and a fly for every 3rd grain.

The method of securing the wheat did not matter. I saw screwtop plastic drums pushed apart by expanding soaked wheat. Half of the storage is in the Pacific Ocean now anyway.

Realistically, for so much wheat to ever be needed it would have to be the end of civilisation as we know it, because even with 75% of the state of Queensland (1,300,000 square km underwater. total area of Texas is 696,241 square kilometers), you could still get a burger in the dry places.

Put it this way, if things get so bad that you have to start eating the wheat, there will be mobs of bigger, stronger and better armed people out there looking for lights at night and the smell of bread baking.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: raven ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 07:41AM

Thanks for the update. Nature is a force that can wipe out everything in its path. I am not surprised to hear it is morgs for morgs and no one else.

But when it comes time for all those tbms to be using their wheat wont all the non believers have been wipes off the face.of the earth?

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 08:45AM

Sign of the time, my a$$! "Why would our HF, who loves us, do that to someone?".

Pfffttt....

Ron

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 01:25PM

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 01:53PM

Hang tight, it must be truly awful. My thoughts are with you, not that they will help much.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 02:18PM

basement, I'd be rich enough to feed a small starving country.

Everyone needs some emergency supplies, but whatever happened to 'moderation in all things'?

Thanks for the front-line update, sorry you are going through so much.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 02:35PM

This is what happens when cities are zoned and built without any regard for the destructive power of nature. If people continue to believe it is God's wrath the zoning and construction laws will continue to happen. Instead of fearing God why not study and respect nature?

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 05:44PM

This is a big problem.

Brisbane City got on board the "global warming" train that swept thru Aussie gov't. in the last ten years. The "science" said that Brizzo would likely run out of water, as prolonged droughts were a certainty in the warming Australia.

Because of the fears of water scarcity, during the recent huge rains causing the floods, the city decided to allow a reservoir above the city to fill past the "drain level". When the water gets to a certain level, some is supposed to be drained off to relieve stresses on the dam and prevent overflow. This didn't happen, leading to a massive overflow that was perceived in the city as a flash flood.

To compound this problem, since floods were no longer going to be a problem due to global warming, in the last ten years the city rezoned many low-lying areas for development. These areas were hit hard by the floods.

Perhaps the OP can add some clarification to this, as I no longer live in SE Queensland.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 09:40AM

That's almost twice as much water as the dam was designed to hold. They believed the BS about Australian cities running out of water because of global warming, but this is a NORMAL La Nina year due to solar cycles, so we got a LOT of rain.

The global warming nuts are responsible for the government holding on to water so there was no room for the flooding rains that followed to be held back from the city.

Whatever they tell you elsewhere is all BS. Look at the US now! Global warming!?!?!?!

Posted by: balaamsass ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 02:40PM

Posted by: dieter ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 02:47PM

Is it true there are Bullsharks swimming through the streets of Brisbane?

Ive always figured those morons with the gererators after everything goes to crap just dont like living much.

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 03:02PM

Thanks for the update! Being from the Texas Gulf Coast and having gone through Katrina and Ike--I know how much it means to have clean water and electricity! And help!

I was either a helper or one of the ones helped--and just like with Haiti (and still with Haiti) I have gathered the teens in my youth group and we are working with an international program to get clean water to you (The H20 Project).

I am so sorry to hear of how long things are taking--do know that there are folks out here who are thinking of you and doing what we can!

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 03:09PM

I spent quite a bit of time in Queensland years ago, so I've been following the news closely, checking in on the places I'm most familiar with from time to time. I've been horrified about what you've been hit with, and you have my deep sympathy. My experience with Queenslanders is that as a group you're strong and you'll come back from this, but I wish that you didn't have to have anything to "come back from". Hang in there!

All the best from wintery Canada, where suddenly the snow is not looking so bad.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 08:02PM

you know, you exmos, I don't care about anyone else in Australia of course!

Thanks for the update - it sounds wretched - good luck with the recovery.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 10:44PM

Good luck down there. Wish I could somehow help. It was heart-rending to see the news reports, and I never dreamt such a thing could happen.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 09:53AM

Link to a site where people have posted pictures however it is a site that blames this on carbon dioxide rather than on the fact that 200 years ago a city was established on a flood plain in a sub tropical climate. Good pictures though

http://www.uspoliticsonline.com/environmental-issues/64780-flood-devastation-australia.html

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.