Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon67 ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 12:07PM

Every Saturday for over a year I go to my boyfriend's for breakfast afterwards we usually go for a walk in the park.

Today his bishop stopped by to visit. This man who I had never met before basically told me to clear the table and wash the dishes so the two of them could speak alone about matters I would not comprehend. EXCUSE ME?? I told him that I'm not some second class citizen that he gets to order around. He then turned to my man and said that he should teach me to hold my tongue. My BF said that I wasn't out of line.

Then the bishop starts talking about how he heard that my man sold a few paintings and how the church hasn't received any tithing from it. He responded that he'd rather pay his rent than be struggling since he's given 10% away in the past and received no help when he needed it. Then the bishop basically threatened that he wouldn't make it in the celestial kingdom if he didn't pay, WTF? Indulgences much?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 12:32PM

Sounds like your BF is through with TSCC. The bishop sounds like a douche.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 12:38PM

Holy shit! Talk about the mormon cult on steroids. I hope the asshole triped and broke something on the way back to his car.

Posted by: 665 N' 1/2 ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 12:43PM

Sorry!

"This man who I had never met before basically told me to clear the table and wash the dishes so the two of them could speak alone about matters I would not comprehend."

Not trying to be offensive here.

I just find it hard to believe.

Was his name by chance Bishop Rood?

Date: February 05, 2011 12:53PM

No offense taken at all.

It happened however, I did leave out that the bishop asked me about when I was converting so I could marry my BF and I may have been less than polite to him about it. So maybe I provoked him a little, but I know he knows I refuse to convert. I think he meant I wouldn't understand since I'm not a LDS.

Posted by: nomomoses ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 12:42PM

That is so out of line. Both on the sexist comments and the tithing.

Being self-employed, he should have said that his business expenses currently have exceeded his gross receipts.

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 01:02PM

Pay up! I know that you've got it! Or...or...you won't get the CK! (Is that the best he's got? Really? lol)

Good for your boyfriend for sticking up for you.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 01:05PM

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 01:29PM

So you can marry him? He's flat out saying that if you don't convert, you can't marry him, if you ever want to.

Posted by: regularguy ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 10:05PM

Hmmm, I've never heard of a Bishop coming over after hearing that a member has made some extra money to collect tithing. If this is true, I think its very unusual.

As far as the Bishop being sexist, I can believe that unfortunatly.

Date: February 05, 2011 10:37PM

I'm pretty sure he came over becasue my BF skipped church the past two weeks and didn't expect me to be there. He was actually over for a while and talked a lot, I only mentioned what ticked me off. Also my BF hasn't been paying much (if any) tithing since he moved out on his own because whatever he gets goes towards his rent and college books.

I just couldn't believe how full of himself he was.

Posted by: experienceheals ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 10:44PM

I would have told him, you can leave now! Then asked him to never come back again and to take a good dose of humble pie to relieve himself of his arrogance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 10:45PM by experienceheals.

Posted by: Mormonista ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 10:55PM

Bishops are not allowed to demand money.
They are not allowed to monitor personal finances.
They are not allowed to discuss individual tithing outside the Bishops office ,except under special circumstances(home bound members).

Any Bishop that violates these rules can be disciplined.

Your boy friend should report it to the Stake Management Team(SP)

They are only allowed to ask if you are a FTP , and give you the info you need to answer the question for yourself.

Posted by: joesmyth ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 11:25PM

yes please

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 11:57PM

Hmmm... did he ask for the 'tithing' in cash? Maybe it was a personal shakedown (rather than the ususal institutional blackmail).

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 11:50PM

The bish gets the two-fer of the day:

Ass. Hat.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.