Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lindsaymccall ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 02:15PM

As an ex-Mo living in a household with my TBM family, I try to avoid the hot topics of our different beliefs as much as I can. But when my mother first caught wind of all my blessings being "cancelled" due to my resignation, she was heartbroken. She kept asking, "Didn't I want to be with my family in the celestial kingdom?"
I looked her straight in the face and said, "Mom, do you really think God wouldn't let us be together? Do you really believe we won't see each other ever again after we die?"
She admitted no, nothing could keep our family apart. (We're very close.)
Did you really believe this idea? Did it break your heart to know that there would be some members of your family/friends who wouldn't be with you, or did you just figure it was their loss?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 02:20PM

together. I couldn't wait to get away from the family as well as the church.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 06:04PM

Being together for eternity with my family (the family of my birth) was NEVER a big draw for me. I was more worried about how bad it would be in eternity if we weren't mormons than I was thrilled about the rewards we'd get because we were.

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 06:34PM

Amen

Posted by: paulrc ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 02:20PM

All I know for sure is I need my roof sealed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the highest ambition of a Mormon to be god of his or her own planet? And that being the case, wouldn't the perfect Mormon family here on Earth end up in different parts of the universe anyway?

Posted by: Amy ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 03:20PM

I have always wondered that myself. How do they reconcile families being together if when you get married you end up getting your own planet? The whole thing just doesn't make any sense.

Posted by: nomomoses ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 02:21PM

This morg lie is what makes it more difficult on those still trying to believe when a loved one leaves. It doesn`t bother me because I don`t have any faith in the temple sealing. It is still hard on my TBM DW.

Posted by: Hane ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 02:38PM

As paulrc said, "Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the highest ambition of a Mormon to be god of his or her own planet? And that being the case, wouldn't the perfect Mormon family here on Earth end up in different parts of the universe anyway?"

I'm a nevermo, so could someone please explain this to me?

Posted by: alan ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 03:16PM

TBMs believe in eternal progression. Even after we die, we can progress and, if we lived righteously enough on earth, we can attain godhood and rule over our own planet. In one of Joseph Smith's last addresses he said:

"It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the Character of God, and to know that we may converse with him as one man converses with another. God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens! That is the great secret." (King Follett Discourse, April 7, 1844)

Posted by: Mo Larkey ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 02:46PM

Extortion

Posted by: alan ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 03:12PM

They have made it quite clear to me that my resignation from the church means I won't be with them in the afterlife. Thus, I'm not really much of a member of the family anymore.

To the TBM, the eternal family is vastly more important than temporal family. This is possibly the most destructive teaching of TSCC.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 03:18PM

I believed it the whole time that I was in. Now I don't believe it at all, but it was a clever ploy.

Posted by: roflmao ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 03:27PM

TSSC claims to be about families, but the clever lie, the sophistry is in the fact that you already HAVE your family forever.

The morg takes it away (with a lie) and then deceptively offers to let you earn them back.

You've been punked!

FWIW I am not trolling, so just give me one personal belief, think what you want...

I LOVE the near death experience stories, there are lots of websites you can find, and these people guess what, find their families, even the non morg, non xtian, hindu, muslim, athiest, cargos, baptos, deaf, blind, young and old

We are all here, we will all go somewhere, I for one am glad I found the friends I have here.

See you all in the ck!

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 03:31PM

It went against common sense. My rationing was that everyone was going to be sealed anyway so it was a moot point. But I thought until then it was love that sealed you not ordinances.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 05:34PM

Yep--I did. Even when I got older and was thinking "logically"--when you start thinking in terms of "which family will I live with, my husband's or mine?" "Which family will my kids live with, mine or their spouse's?"

There were many times I didn't want to be with some of the members of my family, but, still, the idea that you could lose them? I remember as a 5-year-old looking at my dad's bottle of coffee (long ago) and thinking unless he changed, we wouldn't be together as a family. The fear is instilled at a very young age.

The idea of forever family was the reason I stuck it out so long.

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 05:51PM

This concept is part of lead me ou of the church.

First, I had neighbors that were in their 80's. They were married 60 years. They still held hands as they walked through the backyard together. When she was in the hospital, this man stood in the middle of the street talking to neighbors with tears streamimg down his face because he was scared of the prognosis. They were a good Christain couple who went out of the way to help others.
When we (LDS) were told, 'every member a missionary," I thought about this couple a lot. I really could not think of how being in the church would make them happier or better people. But, then, I thought,"ah,ha!" They could be together for eternity. And then, as I watch them and saw the love they had for one another, I decided if we can be together after death they will be. They would not need some mormon "ceremony." for that to happen. That God would not work that way.

Secondly, I married a non member at the age of 19. Lots of things about the marriage was not good choice (although we worked though most things eventually). As we got older and I knew he would not join the church, I thought about the whole eternity thing. I wondered, how could a God hold someone responsible for ETERNITY, a decision made when 19, young, implusive and immature? And no matter how much we love each other, worked through things together, raised kids together, lived our lives together--it wouldn't matter. I could be the best person/member possible but, never be with spouse in eternity because at age 19, I decided to marry a non member (which, in the end, I am so glad I did).

I just stopped believing in the Mormon God I guess.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 08:03PM

My family situation was so fouled up based on church sealing beliefs (divorce and remarriage), I never bought it from an early age.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 08:17PM

My dad is a nevermo and a wonderful man. I never bought the fact that I wouldn't be with my dad in the eternities...that he'd be lost forever to me. It just made no sense. Maybe because my mom was Episcopalian before she converted, as was I until my teens. I only ever believed the Christian version of heaven, although I believed a temple sealing somehow made it more official. More of a guarantee. Without it, I had to figure God would somehow work out something and I didn't understand it in this life. I never bought into their fear techniques.

Posted by: truthman ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 11:45AM

I did believe this for many years as a TBM. Yet growing up in the Catholic faith I always had this nagging thought in the back of my mind that how would that work. When I started to piece together the teachings of eternal progression and how God was once a man like us and we can be like Him it made me think....If he is on his own planet and is now waiting for us to return, where is his family? On other planets producing their own offspring? That is not really being together for eternity. Also, why would Heavenly Father make it so difficult to get back to Him and make it so unless we have temple recommends, signs, tithes, all that is involved we cannot get to the CK and therefore not be with Him. Yet we can be in a lower kingdom with The savior? Makes no sense. I now believe when we get to Heaven, we will find that to many churches and to much doctrine clouded many minds when the path back is very easy and we will all be together if we have accepted The Savior in our lives. I look forward to eternity with many I know now and look forward to the billions of new friends I will meet over the eternities.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.