Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 05:24PM

You might be thinking of Matthew 16:19. Jesus, speaking to his disciples says, "I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom".

As far as I know, there is no Biblical reference specifically stating that JESUS was given the keys of the kingdom. It is merely assumed that, because he is who he is, the keys are automatically his. The rest is just made up Mormon doctrine.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pixie Dust ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 05:28PM

Jesus said, “And I will give unto thee the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in Heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in Heaven.” Matt 16:19

Why and I asking this? Because a friend is stating that the Bible indicates that Jesus received the keys of the kingdom to unlock hell while Jesus was in hell (spirit world).

Why wait until Jesus was in hell before giving him the keys? That doesn't make sense.

Yes, I know this is RfM, but I am in need of scriptural help please.

Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 05:45PM

Perhaps you're thinking of Revelation 1:18 "I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and death." Or,

Revelation 9:1 "and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit."

You might also look at Rev. 3:7. In any case, one of the difficulties that some Mormons have is confusing what is ACTUALLY in the Bible with what they THINK is in the Bible. Well, I guess that's not unique to Mormons, however, Mormons complicate the matter by having other scriptures muddying the mental waters.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 06:35PM

Not sure if this is helpful for what you're looking for but here are a few more references:

(KJV)

OT:

Isaiah 22:22: And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his [Jesus'] shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.

Revelation (in the future):

Revelation 3:7: And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth [Jesus];

Revelation 9:1: And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him [Satan] was given the key of the bottomless pit.

Revelation 20:1: And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. [and he took the keys away from Satan].

You may be able to find something in a Bible concordance, by subject matter, in a Google search. You would likely want to use the same Bible translation or it gets even more confusing (I like NIV or ASV or NASV). Obviously, you need to check the source too - I favour the more mainstream and well known translations and interpretations.

Good luck!

PS: The Mormon idea of hell is not the same as mainstream. Maybe somebody noted that already. In order to converse with Mormons (or anyone of a different faith) about doctrinal ideas, I find it is helpful to understand what the Mormon teaching is and what the mainstream interpretation is and then go from there in the discussion. You can both be using the same words but with vastly different concepts as to their meaning and attached theology. That is not the way to have a productive conversation or to see each other's take on things. If you're both using the term 'hell', each with your own take on what that constitutes, you will likely have difficulty understanding each other, much less persuade someone to see things from a different angle.

Again, good luck!

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 11:48PM

Well, I see now why it is when people lose their keys and pray to God find them, he helps out, because God has a thing about keys. :p

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 11:49PM by robertb.

Date: February 06, 2011 12:00AM

rb: "...God has a thing about keys."

He does that, robertb!

So do the Mormons. I never knew another church that took the key thing so to heart.

That and spirit prison of course.

Gotta have keys to open up that sucker! :)

Date: February 05, 2011 10:46PM

Just on a quick search I found about five different interpretations for those verses. The mainstream versions, though, are definitely nothing like the Mormon idea on this.

Here's just one conclusion about "spirit prison":

"The spirits in prison mentioned in 1 Peter 3:19 were demons who sinned grievously against God by “abandoning their proper abode” (Jude 6) in the incident involving the sons of God and daughters of men (Genesis 6:1-4)."

http://www.gotquestions.org/spirits-in-prison.html

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 09:41AM

Maybe you're referring to the Book of Zelph 3:29:

"Yo, Jebus! Here are the keys to the deSoto, even the Christian Chrysler. Goeth thou down to the 7-11 and get thee some pickles and hot fudge. One of thy mothers is pregnant again and haveth the cravings. Go forth, and fetcheth me these things without delay!"

Just sayin'...

Ron

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.