Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ollie ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 10:00PM

Estimate the year in which the following religions will have fewer than 1,000,000 official members worldwide- actual,not just names on a list-here's my take on this:

Mormonism: 2185
Catholicism: 2700
All Protestant Denominations together: 2450
Islam: 3500

Estimate the year that religion will be completely wiped off the planet- that is any religion that posits the existence of a supernatural force or beings:

My estimate: 4000

Science, time, and information flow will eventually bury all religions because in the long run they cannot support claims that are inconsistent with reality.

There will be many new spiritual movements that will fill the void of the decaying religions, but they will be philosophy-based and will divest all vestiges of supernaturalism.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: joesmyth ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 11:28PM

"and will divest all vestiges of supernaturalism."

only when people decide that science has "seen it all," and is now just out to catalog it for sake of being thorough. a better word would be "superstition." but i don't think science is going to fix that, either.

saying that science is going to fix all religion is a lot like saying that psychology is going to make everyone sane.

i don't buy it. but i do hope to live in a saner world, so good luck with that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 11:29PM by joesmyth.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 08:18AM

There will always be people who hope for someone to care deeply about them, who can grant wishes, who can save them from trouble and give them a happy ever after ending. And there will always be people who want supreme justification to condemn and abuse others. So religion will always be there to fill those needs.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 09:50AM

Agree with Stray Mutt. Even in the world of Dune (10,000 years in the future), there's the Bene Gesserit. It's probably in our DNA to hope for happy endings.

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 10:15AM

Moreover, I think one of the main raisons d'ĂȘtre for religion is that some people cannot fathom the world without them. "These are the latter days!"

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 10:21AM

it will never go away. Roddenberry notwithstanding.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.