Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 10:45AM

I didn't refute his comment.

The only negative aspect of it was that many members at the Lutheran church where I attend know that I was LDS, and I don't want them to think that I don't believe in JC.

But, the comment made the LDS church look weirder than weird!

Perhaps I should send the pastor a quick email explaining that Mormons do believe in JC and explain the Godhead as three separate personages?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 10:53AM

Mormons believe in him when it's useful to, but Jesus will always play second fiddle to Joe Smith.

Posted by: Geneticerror ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 10:55AM

Posted by: UrDaddy ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 10:56AM

The Jesus Christ in whom Catholics, Protestants, and Orthodox Christians believe is absolutely not the same Jesus Christ in whom Mormons believe.

It is a completely different understanding of who Jesus Christ is and was.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 10:59AM

Of course Mormonism believes in Jesus Christ. I mean, duh. It may not be in the accepted Christian point of view but of course they do. That statement bugs me even today and i'm not even sympathetic to the church anymore.

I agree with the other poster that your pastor is ignorant. Your pastor should be stating that Mormons think they believe in the Christian Jesus but have gotten it all f'd up. That would be more correct and appropriate.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 11:16AM

Mormons' position on Jesus and you're just the person to do it.

Also, tell your pastor that Muslims do "believe" in Jesus, just not as a god/son of god but, rather, honor him as one of Allah's holy prophets. Of course, not as great a prophet as Mohammed who put himself at the right hand of Allah (naturally since he formulated the religion!).

You might also tell you pastor of the commonalities that Islam has with Judaism & Christianity, e.g., belief in Old Testament prophets/characters such as Moses, Abraham, Isaac, Noah, Adam & Eve, etc. It's been said that Judaism is the father of Islam and Christianity is its mother.

It sounds to me that your uninformed pastor made that "Mormons/Muslims don't believe in Jesus" comment only to inflame the congregation.

Posted by: nomomoses ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 11:27AM

Skunk Puppet has it correct. This pastor sounds like one that will take a sterotype and not look at the facts.

I studied eastern religions in a college class, and I found it very interesting how many religions in the world have no issue with other religious sects. Many believe that Jesus was either a prophet or god incarnate sent to help a particular group in that region. In their teachings it does not interfere with a prophet or god appearing to them in a different manner.

Posted by: Tori ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 11:37AM

While trying to explain mo'ism to a (devout) muslim friend, she said 'they just were trying to copy our prophet'. The same idea- man goes off, gets gold plates from God/ angel which he reads (islam) or translates (mo'ism) miraculously, says they are the true book and fulfills all those which came before. Starts a religion, journeys across a desert (plain), fights some battles founds a city. (I would also add at that point, marries lots of women, some very young) Dies and a whole lot else is added by his successors (abu bakr/ brigham young)... do we go on?
They have much more in common than they think!
Tori

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 11:32AM

I know some MS Lutheran members who are still ticked off that services aren't in German in the US. Conservative bunch, those MSLs!

That said, the minister is engaging in "the narcissism of small differences". The nice thing about fundie people who like to engage in this, is that their organizations are self-limiting in size, since they have a strong tendency to banish anyone of insufficient idealogical purity.

Posted by: S. Tissue Trotter ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 09:37PM

Yeah. My parents were married in a Lutheran (now ELCA) church, so when I visit a Lutheran church, I am predisposed favorably. But I visited one a few years ago, not realizing it was LCMS, and learned a new word - "syncretism".

That's the grounds on which they were contemplating defrocking a pastor, just for participating in an interfaith service at Yankee Stadium a day or two after 9/11.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 11:48AM

they don't really follow him. They follow Mormonism and their Jesus morphs into whomever it is convenient to support the goals of Mormonism. Mormonism and Joseph Smith are always first and Jesus is just their cover guy.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 11:49AM

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 12:55PM

The lack of Christ in TSCC was the first ting my bff noticed at my attempt to convert her when I was TBM.

They should named the lds church "The Church of Joseph Smith" (remember his boast about JC vs himself re followers running away from him?)

Muslims also have JC in the Koran, except, that he's only a prophet, and in their Hagit, he suppose to destroy all the churches and Jews upon his return. The "Church of Mohammed" I guess. So much for cults whose founders claim their religions via angels (Moroni and Gabriel)

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 01:08PM

Muslims believe that Jesus was a prophet and a holy man, they do NOT, however, believe he is Jesus Christ.

And whilst Mormons believe in Jesus, they certainly do NOT believe in the same Jesus that the rest of the Christian churches believe in.

A Lutherian, for example, believes that one must have a faith in Jesus Christ to be saved. A Mormon, however, would argue that you must also have a faith in Joseph Smith to be saved.

Which is where Mormons and other Christians seem to have a problem...

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 02:52PM

Mormons believe in Jesus, but he's kind of a lesser figure in the Smith personality cult, similar to the way it is in Islam with Mohammad. To Christians, Jesus is it. So, I can see how that view of Jesus would be a poke in the eye to believing Christians. If they truly believe that Jesus is the savior, then why do they need Smith?

It's not really obvious to Mormons, because they are brainwashed into not being able to objectively analyze criticism of their faith. Atheists and others see it as sort of Batman vs. Superman, but I can certainly see how Christians could see it that way.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 01:12PM

Shows you how dishonest they really are.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 01:15PM

Who is the only Jesus that matters?

Hint: He went extinct for your sins.

Posted by: Gullibles Travels ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 05:44PM

Who's that reptilian guy
Who lives in the Sky?
He's Raptor Jeeeeesus!

He's the pebble-skinned brother
that is like no other!
He's Raptor Jeeeeesus!

His teeth may be pointed
but He is still the Annointed!
He's Raptor Jeeeeesus!

Can I get an AMEN?!

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 08:03PM

Hahaha!

Posted by: Serena ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 01:19PM

Missouri synod is the lunatic fringe of Lutheranism; not as wacky as Wisconsin synod, but still! He must be pretty ignorant to say something like that. Most, hopefully all, ELCA Lutheran ministers would know better, certainly the ones I've met.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 02:47PM

Okay, don't have time to look up the quote, but Hinckly did state that Mormons don't believe in the same Christ as traditional Christians.

Does someone have that quote?

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 03:23PM

Gordon B. Hinckley: "The traditional Christ of whom they speak is not the Christ of whom I speak. For the Christ of whom I speak has been revealed in this the Dispensation of the Fullness of Times"

"In bearing testimony of Jesus Christ, President Hinckley spoke of those outside the Church who say Latter-day Saints 'do not believe in the traditional Christ.' 'No, I don't. The traditional Christ of whom they speak is not the Christ of whom I speak. For the Christ of whom I speak has been revealed in this the Dispensation of the Fullness of Times. He together with His Father, appeared to the boy Joseph Smith in the year 1820, and when Joseph left the grove that day, he knew more of the nature of God than all the learned ministers of the gospel of the ages.'"
- Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley, LDS Church News, June 20, 1998, p.7

Posted by: Gullibles Travels ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 05:47PM

"Our Jesus is EVEN better than your Jesus. Nanny nanny boo boo, even stick your head in doo doo." (Spoken in GA monotone.)

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 05:54PM

I think you should set your pastor straight.

Do Mormons believe in Jesus? Yes.

Do they follow his example and/or teachings? NOPE.

Date: February 07, 2011 08:02PM

Your pastor believes in things like virgin birth and talking snakes. He thinks that rib-women are real and that you should worship a cosmic jewish zombie.

Honestly, he has no room to be talking about Mormons...

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 08:13PM

There are many liberal Luthereans who do not believe in a literal Adam and Eve much less a talking snake and some who doubt the virgin Birth. I don't know about Sandie's pastor, but all Christians are not literalists and Lutherans as a whole are fairly liberal.

Date: February 07, 2011 08:26PM

Ok, I'll tone it down. Still, a person who believes in a magical sky daddy shouldn't be looking down on a person who believes in magical underwear.

Religious people are the last people who should be attacking Mormonism. That's all I'm saying.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 08:29PM

snb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok, I'll tone it down. Still, a person who
> believes in a magical sky daddy shouldn't be
> looking down on a person who believes in magical
> underwear.
>
> Religious people are the last people who should be
> attacking Mormonism. That's all I'm saying.
I get your point., but you are more effective if you get your facts straight and don't try to turn all Christians, including liberals, into Fundies.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 08:14PM

Muslims also believe in JC, but just in a different way than that Pastor does. They believe him to be a great prophet.

The guy who sits in front of me at work is a Muslim and he loves Christmas. Shortly before Christmas, they have a big dinner at the mosque, to celebrate the life of the great prophet, Jesus.

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 08:22PM

...Mormons believe in a very different Christ than other Christians.

Muslims by definition don't believe in Christ. But they accept Jesus as a prophet.

I believe that Jesus was absorbed into the Hindu pantheon. I could be wrong about that though.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.