Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 12:03PM

Susie has often posted about how helpful paragraph breaks are for anyone with visial impairments.

I agree and offer a few more helpful hints for those who care. These idea would help me and probably others, but I'm not sure what works for everyone in this category since each person is so different.

1. When possible it might be a good idea to limit the length of the subject line.

2. It's so helpful when those who reply make a new subject line because otherwise it can be difficult to visually track which replies go with what other poster's remarks.

3. It's so much easier to read posts when there's a space or two between sentences. This is for those who can't see periods and it's more important on this new board because capital letters are so close to the same size as lower case.

I'm certainly not saying that everyone should or must follow these suggestions, only that they're helpful for me and probably for some others who like to read RfM.

Having a huge monitor and very large print makes reading RfM possible, but only solves some of the problems. Many thanks to anyone willing to take the time and trouble to help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 12:26PM

I'm not trying to police how people write, they can write however they please. But I sometimes see a post title that makes me curious enough to click...

And then when I get there it is solid text for the whole page, with no breaks, as if it's one page sized paragraph. I don't end up reading them. Too hard with no breaks.

Generally on the net, people put a lot more breaks between ideas than you would put for say a school writing assignment. Do it however you want, but breaks are good.

Date: February 07, 2011 06:50PM

Posted by: Serena ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 01:12PM

Cataract surgery is in my future, so I've been told, at least I hope! I had shingles on my corneas and have scarring there, so have been told I'm not a surgical candidate by 4 different ophthalmalogists. Would love to have lasix (sp?), and am wondering if they can even do cataract surgery. Oh dear, something else to worry about.

Anyway, we visually-challenged ones appreciate anything, within reason. Just sayin!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 06:55PM

Serena, you count too! This board is for anyone interested in Mormonism (except active preachy Mormons, haha), so nevermos are definitely included.

Some of the most enjoyable and helpful posts have come from nevermos through the yrs (the mighty kymba springs to mind and Lucyfer, both strong, assertive women with a unique non/nevermo perspective that many posters have found helpful).

Sorry to hear about your vision problems too. That is one health concern that I fear for myself. I need my eyes! I know we have to adjust to whatever ails us but yikes, I hope my eyes last for the duration.

Date: February 07, 2011 01:20PM

Sounds so miserable! Wish I could answer your questions and hope someone else knows more.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 05:30PM

... and watch that penmanship!

Seriously, though, I agree about spacing paragraphs. Such posts are hard to read even if your eyesight is good.

I always catch myself re-reading the same line.

Timothy

Date: February 07, 2011 06:49PM

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 05:33PM

Yes.

Yes.

Yes!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 07:00PM

I'm with Timothy - I can barely read the page-long paragraph ones myself and my eyes are in good shape (touch wood forever).

I appreciate you letting us know what posting techniques will keep you reading, and anyone else in the same boat.

I'm sorry, I had no idea of the extent of your struggles with this. Here's hoping the operated eye heals quickly and then they can fix the other one too. Reading is one of those great pleasures in life and we do so take it for granted.

I have worked with a few women who needed the giant-size screens to be able to read their work. Their livelihoods depended on being able to see well and the employer's efforts to accommodate them.

I am thankful every day for my good eyesight and excellent hearing. Thanks for the reminder to never take these things for granted.

Hope to hear you're back to 100% or near-as can be very soon. Meanwhile, way to persevere!

Date: February 07, 2011 08:47PM

I'm having a second surgery on this same eye Wednesday to fix up what they couldn't do in the first try. This was scheduled for March but has been moved up twice because of retina problems. Jerry and I spent yesterday at the hospital working on these strange eye symptoms with the doctor on call, nice very young and eager and diligent fellow.

I very much appreciate any efforts board members will do for the visually impaired because I dearly miss not being able to read the things others take for granted like directions on boxes and labels on products, not to mention books and newspapers which I used read for hours every day.

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 09:14PM

Here's wishing you a quick and good healing for your eyes.

My brother had cataract surgery on both eyes. I believe that his surgeon put in artifical lenses. He has perfect vision now and loves it! (...after a lifetime of wearing heavy-duty glasses and contact lenses.)

My mom had significant hearing loss from her midlife on. I had my hearing tested this past summer and was relieved to get the results -- that it is really very good! Yay!

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 07:05PM

And I mean that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.