Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 06:35PM

...just wondering cause they're out to get me.

I was having a hard time a year ago and a very nice married couple befriended me. They were very low-key and never said a word about their religion, though they left religious materials. My crises passed quickly and I left the area. They were actually very nice people, but I've since realized it's part of the conversion process.

My brother lives near their church and now they're leaving him messages on his door asking about me and for my phone number. Are they as bad as the JW's for prosletizing? I'm laying low (staying at my brother's for my eye surgery tomorrow). SHould I hide my car? LOL

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 06:45PM

Look up William Miller and Ellen G. White for a fun read.

From Horn-Dog Joe's neck 'o' the woods too!

Timothy

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 07:33PM

There are lots of SDAs in our area of Oregon, and our nearest neighbors are devout SDA. They are also rather close friends, and have sort of "adopted" us into their family (we get invitations to their family gatherings, etc.).

Yes, they are VERY MUCH like Mormons, although not quite as cult-like. They stick together like the Mormons do. Their social lives center around their Adventist friends and their church.

Like Mormons, they shun tobacco, coffee, tea, alcohol. Most are also vegetarian.

They are very tolerant of other religions and very much in favor of separation of church and state (they dread passage of Sunday closing laws, since Saturday is the Sabbath).

Unlike Mormon missionaries, SDA missionaries are professional doctors, nurses, teachers, etc., and they see their mission as helping the poor and needy, not spreading their religion.

They are also avid believers in the "young earth" (the earth was created about 6000 years ago), the Flood, and the imminent return of Christ. (My neighbor assures me it's going to happen any day now!)

Nice people, but yes, it is a cult.

The SDA church is growing faster than the LDS church, BTW.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 07:39PM

My conclusion was they were engaging in exactly the same inflation tactics and LDS. Inc.

Edit: Here's a link to the post I made...

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,40170,42156#msg-42156

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 07:48PM by SL Cabbie.

Date: February 07, 2011 07:40PM

My brother is a geology student and was roped into a conversation by an SDA wherein the guy asked him, "It appears that one can't be a geologist and a Christian both."

My brother was speechless. He's an atheist. The whole thing was meaningless to him.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 07:54PM

Both religions pretend to give "service" when all they want to do is get as many converts as possible.

Mormons think they are doing service too...

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 07:53PM

Posted by: rgrraymond ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 08:00PM

I worked for 17 years with a member of the SDAs. He was a butthole to work with. His religion is part of the reason. YES it is a cult. Run from them. Some, like mormons may be very nice, but they want soul and your money.

Date: February 07, 2011 08:01PM

I just moved my car around behind the building. LOL

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 08:10PM

My mother was raised 7th Day and she and all of her family are bitter, gossipy, judgemental creeps (of course they all had pretty horrible childhoods too).

My great uncle, on the other hand, converted as an adult and was the nicest, kindest most "Christian" man I've ever known. His children grew up to be really fantastic people too.

I've never known of my great uncle doing any prosletyzing at all although he was a great doctor and he really enjoyed life (as did his family). He and my great aunt are an inspiration to me to what family can be (they're both dead now, though).

I'm afraid I don't actually spend time with my mother's family or with anyone I know of who is 7th Day Adventist so I don't really know how gung ho they are on converting people.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.