Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 07:26PM

I got together last night with a bunch of friends to watch the Super Bowl. There was a great spread of finger food, with plenty of various beverages for everyone. I saddled up to my typical Diet Coke and commenced, upon request, to draw caricatures of some of the group, while we all watched the game.

A pool had been started and I was invited to participate. Since I know nothing about such matters, I just told the person running the wipe-off board to put my name in any box of their choosing and I would go along. Then I got back to the drawing and to the game, after throwing $10.00 into the pot.

At that point, brothers and sisters, The Miracle began to happen.

The Miracle Snatch, that is.

As the game progressed, I was informed that I had recouped my 10 bucks by winning the third quarter (whatever that meant). I was pleased with the news but was busy doodling and not really paying attention to the on-screen blessing that was unfolding to my benefit.

As the game moved closer to finish, I heard one of my friends mutter grumpily, "Benson is going to win the pot. The heretic is going to win the pot."

Heh.

I did win the pot--$70.00--and as I gratefully pocketed the wad of cash, politely noted to my friends with a humble smile, "There is a God."

On two previous occasions when I have, as a rank novice, played rounds of poker with my buddies, I have also won the pot--$25.00 the first time and $35.00 the second.

I don't know a thing about gambling.

I left the One and Only True Church of the Mormon God.

I don't have the Holy Ghost to guide me.

I don't have secret underwear to protect me.

I'm an avowed atheist.

But the times I've gotten together with my friends to play cards or to watch a Super Bowl game involving a pool, I've won the pot.

I'm either extremely lucky or Satan is my co-pilot.

Or God is watching out for me.

Or maybe it's because I still have never smoked.

Whatever the reason, Amen.

Now, please pass me the collection plate.

It is time for me to collect. :)

Edited 17 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 08:19PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 07:34PM

You're on your way to being the High Priest of Lost Wages.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 07:42PM

God has been blessing me a tiny bit too.

I don't like to play the lottery. I subscribe to the notion that it is a special tax on those that don't understand math.

My wife however does like it, but we only buy tickets rarely. To make her happy, I buy a ticket every now and then for the drawing with the best odds, and a $20,000 biggest award.

In about my first five plays, I won $10 three times.

My wife still wastes her dollar on the one with the crazy bad odds.

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 08:55PM

DNA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I subscribe to the notion that it is a special tax on those that don't understand math.

I love teaching my math students about the concept of probability. Then when I've taught them, I discuss the lottery. It's great to see the light bulb go on in their eyes when they finally understand just how dismal their odds are of winning! *grin*

The reason that I only rarely play the lottery is because I am fully convinced that God wants me to lead a useful life teaching recalcitrant youth. lol But I do buy a ticket once in a blue moon, because above all else, I'm an optimist. :o)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.