Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Whiskey_Tango ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 09:04PM

Readin severl of these threads about dumb comments reminded me of a comment I heard on several occaisions several years ago.

The stake president in a neighboring stake had a daughter that was a little wild. Not really too bad, just the normal rebellious teenager stuff. Sadly, this girl and several friends were killed by a drunk driver in a head-on collision. After the burial, the girls mom was heard to say by several folks that she was glad it happened because now she knew where her little angel was and no longer needed to worry about what she was doing and what type of sins she was commiting.

About a year later I was speaking with a cousin-in-law that told me that he wished his daughter was dead so that she would stop her "immorallity"... I told him he might not want to repeat that lest something happen to her and he would have to live with that comment the rest of his life....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 09:06PM

Here is evidence to the contrary.

Date: February 07, 2011 09:07PM

"Readin severl" sounds like I haven't had any "book larnin"..LOL

Posted by: Gullibles Travels ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 09:18PM

Date: February 07, 2011 09:25PM

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 10:18PM

Don't sweat it--you were jus'spelin it Joe Smith style!

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 09:28PM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 09:41PM

I hope nobody is so far gone that they actually wish their kids were dead. I'd like to think that it's one of these showy remarks so everyone will know how very faithful and righteous they are that they would place death before disobedience to some cult rule. Still, who knows what goes in the minds of some people.

Wow, that's a horrible thing to say.

Date: February 07, 2011 10:08PM

I hope these comments were made in that spirit..The old "i'm just so damn spiritual" take on an event...

In a similar event, my wifes uncle (a sp) lost a toddler in a wading pool. Through a moments inattention the child drowned. Their way to cope with the tragedy was to tell everyone that the hospital staff were just so amazed by the stoicism they faced this tragedy..They explained to the gentile staff that it was a result of their LDS faith and tried to tell us that they turned the tragdey into a "missionary moment".The reality was that they were as heartbroken and griefstricken as anyone else...

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 10:15PM

Of course! All this talk about 'rather having ones child in a casket, than having it lose it's virtue' (including being raped) just fuels this kind of thinking. SO SAD!!! :(

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 10:30PM

I lived in a ward once that included both a downtown wealthy high rise and the very poor west side of Salt Lake. One of my friends was the Relief Society president. A wealthy educated woman who thinks she's better than everyone. She helped activate this very poor uneducated woman. This sweet poor woman reminded me of those poor folks you find in the back woods of Kentucky.

My friend would encourage her to give her testimony in Relief Society and sacrament meeting. The woman would follow her lead and do it. This poor woman apparently didn't know the difference between "immorality" and "immortality." So she got up in Relief Society and said, "I'm so grateful that because of Jesus Christ I can have immorality and eternal life." She did this twice in R.S. and sacrament testimony meeting. My friend would sit next to me and laugh her head off. The woman had no idea anyone was laughing at her or that she said anything wrong.

It broke my heart.

Posted by: Loins of Fire ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 10:33PM

A neighbor committed suicide when I was young. The morning it happened my Dad and I were talking to the victims neighbor and my Dad was saying how tragic it was, do you know why this happened, etc.

The neighbors comment (I still remember it to this day because my Dad was so disgusted he grabbed me and said "let's go")-

"I guess he just couldn't live up to our high LDS moral standards."

Date: February 07, 2011 11:34PM

Yes..our standards are so freaking high that if you can't live them you may as well end it now....Tragic.

That reminds me of a suicide of a young neighbor of mine..This kid was about fourteen. His father was a real whack-job that was chasing one conspiracy after another..He was always out of work and was really nuts. His son was very religious and had practically memorized several books out of the BOM...

Dad was always showing him off as though he were a trick pony. The kid was wowing people at priesthood meeting. F&T and any other public gathering...One day the old man found the kids Playboy stash...He told him that all his hard work at being spiritual was now out the window because now whenever he would try to be spiritual satan would plant an image of these "tramps" in his head..prohibiting him from full use of his priesthood. His chance at eternal salvation was now at risk...

Two days later the kid shot himself in the head. Beleiving that heas he now had no chance of salvation he may as well end it now...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.