Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BenJensen ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 11:24PM

In the letter it states that it will be forwarded to the local leaders etc. Is there anything else we have to do as far as talking to the bishop or will they just process it? We have been lucky so far without almost any "interference" from local members and I am hoping to keep it that way.

What has been your guys' experience?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 11:36PM

What happens next depends on your "local ecclesiastical leaders".

Some will just complete the paperwork and send it on, some will want to talk to you and make sure that it was really you that sent in the resignation, some will try to talk you out of it, some will just sit on it and do nothing.

Posted by: buckhntr ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 11:37PM

Even if you stated in your letter that you do not want any further contact from the church you will likely receive a call or visit from the local Bishop wanting a meeting of some sort. He will try and guilt you into reconsidering your decision. After all your eternal soul is at stake and he does't want to be blamed by Jebus that he didn't do enough to keep you paying your tithing. He will also say that you have a 30 day cooling off period in case you come to your senses and want the blue pill. If you get a call refuse a meeting and tell him your mind has already been made up and he should send it in without delay. You might call him on what part of "NO CONTACT" he doesn't understand? If he wants an explanation tell him you will gladly give his congregation one next fast and testimony meeting.

Yeah you'll get more contact.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 11:41PM

I hand delivered my letter to my old Bishop. I walked up on stage after sacrament meeting with DW, she handed him the letter and I told him what it was and that We had already copied HQ and the SP. He shed a tear or two and said he was sad to see us go etc. We shook his told him not to take it personal because we think he's a standup guy, turned around and left.

Before the month was out we had out Dodge letters in hand. No problems no further hassles.

Posted by: BenJensen ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 12:41AM

Yea, our bishop is aware of the whole situation so he won't be surprised. I am hoping we can make a clean edit without having to explain ourselves more than we have already had to. To be honest I would be totally fine if I never had any "official" interaction with the church again. I would rather just start moving on.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 01:14AM

got the reply on the 19th. The bishop visited last Tuesday night and didn't try in the least to talk me into going back--or my ex who lives here. The bishop is a friend and has been for 24 years and knows our history. He was great about it and I knew he would be the one to resign "under."

It really all depends on the bishop.

Posted by: joesmyth ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 02:07AM

If you change your mind and stay with them they're prepared to give you 3 free copies of the Book of Mormon

Posted by: Eric ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 02:37AM

Didn't work for me. He even blocked my email address. I probably should have resigned ten years ago. But I've learned so much since then. Oh well.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.