Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 12:12PM

Can you tell I'm just a little excited?! ;P
*Whew*
Okay, it's been a busy week at the home of "intellectual feminist". My lovely daughter turned 18 the same day she found out she was accepted to UC Irvine, big party to celebrate, my youngest gets sick, the Superbowl, etc. etc. I haven't been to RfM for about a week now. On Friday Jan. 28, I sent in my official resignation via email. Yesterday, Feb. 7, I went to get my mail, and there it was, sitting at the top of the stack. I actually didn't open it until a few minutes ago, but it felt thick, and I had a feeling there was more than a letter inside. As soon as I peeked in and saw the little pamphlet that said "First Presidency", I jumped up and down and squeeeed for joy! Of course there's the brief "President ABC will have Bishop XYZ contact you concerning the fulfillment of your request", but thanks to RfM, I know that part is pure BS; a mere formality on their part, and last ditch hoop-jumping. The show's over folks; I'm out. And the cherry on top of it all? Their farewell to me was written Feb. 3, 2011.......my daughter's 18th. It seems I got a gift as well. The very best kind :D
So, that's all she wrote. I no longer have any concerns about being lovebombed when I walk into a church building. I'm not a member of that church; as long as my kids wish to be involved and have a special event, I'll visit for them, because I love and support THEM. But there will never be another tithing settlement. There will never be another temple recommend interview. There will never be another compromise of my integrity as I try to raise my hand and sustain something or someone I can't support or condone.
Free at last! Free at last!! Thank God almighty........I am
FREE.AT.LAST

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 12:14PM

Congrats!

Posted by: joesmyth ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 12:57PM

congrats indeed

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 12:15PM

I'd say "have a celebration" but I think you've already started!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 12:16PM

Freedom is sweet!

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 12:16PM

Woo hoo! I have a new bottle of Gentleman Jack at home and I'll toast you. You're welcome to drop by for a snort.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: Ishmael ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 12:18PM

Congratulations! Your elation is making my day.

I was so emotionally numb from being in an abusive relationship when I resigned that I opened the letter, read it, and thought, "Okay, that's done."

Your post makes me want to have a belated celebration.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 12:59PM

Are you out?

(Congratulations!)

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 01:00PM

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 01:02PM

Posted by: crossroads ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 01:09PM

congrats for you :D
I will hand in my letter this coming Sunday.

Date: February 08, 2011 01:10PM

Wait, you can do this by email???

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 01:17PM

for the best time of your life now. Congrats.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 01:37PM

My tail's gettin' tired from wagging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTG!

Date: February 08, 2011 01:49PM

Aw, thanks everyone :D
@crossroads: yes, actually, you can resign by email. A number of others on this forum have successfully done it, and so I decided to give it a try. Only took about a week. I think the email addy for Greg Dodge at Membership Records is available somewhere on the 'how to resign' page; if not, I'm sure it's been archived. I know there's another letter coming, but once they respond to you, and send you the whiney-ass "Come Back, We Still Want Your Money" pamphlet, as far as I'm concerned, it's over and done. The stuff about the bishop contacting me is their own hoop-jumping, has no relevance for me. Hope you, and anyone else ready to resign, has a smooth, swift exit too.

Date: February 08, 2011 01:51PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 07:32PM

back in January. I got my letter 2 days after I sent my e-mail. The bishop dropped by February 1st and told me he just wanted me to know he was still there for me as a neighbor and friend, that he wasn't going to say anything to any other ward member, and that he wasn't going to try to talk me out of it. I knew he'd be a great guy about it (not like other previous bishops).

It is VERY SIMPLE. There is also a form letter somewhere here on exmo that you can use. (My boyfriend found it or I'd direct you to it.)

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 01:55PM

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 03:51PM

Posted by: OlMan ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 05:26PM

Excellent suggestion.

It could be a new decor thing for exmo homes.

Take down the LDS Jesus painting(he won't be offended; he doesn't look like that anyway) or the temple pic and put up a framed copy of the letter from Greg Dodge saying you're out of the Church.

It would be a tremendous conversation starter...or ender.

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 03:55PM

You posted a link to your FB a few weeks ago. You didn't look old enough to have an 18 year old.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 03:56PM

NOT EXCITED ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HaHa and Woooooooo Hooooooooo!!

;o)

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 04:35PM

I know it seems like a crazy hoop to jump through, but until the bishop sends in his form with his signature signaling that he has verified your identity and you wishes, your name remains on the membership rolls of the church. There is no need to meet with him, but at minimum phone contact will most likely be required.

Look at it from the Church's standpoint, they have to verify both your identity and your wishes. Can you imagine the hijinx that would ensue if they removed names based on emails from yahoo accounts?

You will receive a final letter from Dodge when it's off stating that per your request your name has been removed from the membership records of the church.

Date: February 08, 2011 07:26PM

Good point, SLDrone. I realize how important this is on their end, and that my celebrating is somewhat premature since I'm still on their records, regardless of legalities. It's just that.....I'm so excited! And I just can't hide it ;)
And that brings up something that's been discussed at length in previous posts: the issue of what really happens to your name when they confirm your resignation with that final letter. DO they actually remove your name? Or do they just change your status on their membership records but keep your information? I recall reading that some folks have been contacted by them long after officially resigning, which would indicate that you can indeed 'check out' anytime you like, but you can never leave, like the often-quoted Eagles song.
@Holy the Ghost: aw shucks, you flatterer ;)
@OlMan: I never had any Mormony 'art' in the home, even as a TBM. I liked Gustav Klimt, Van Gogh, Picasso, even Salvador Dali! Most people enjoyed seeing them, but they did manage to raise a few TBM eyebrows ;P

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 07:33PM

(That's a UCI thing...) Congrats for you and your daughter.

btw... I'd bet that in the big HQ database, one of the fields in your record is simply flagged as resigned, so you don't show up on anybody's reports.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 07:36PM

WHen I split up with my ex, I went out in the redrock (Moab) and made a fool of myself, I pretended I was walking around with a ball and chain. I looked like Quasimodo, I really got into it, the dogs were going nuts, jumping around and barking. After I really got the feel for it, gimping around, I then pretended to cut the chain and throw the whole thing off a cliff. I then jumped around and danced and whooped and hollered.

Congrats on dumping the ball and chain. :)

Posted by: tofino ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 10:44PM

from the cult's membership records.

Enjoy and a very warm CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 01:32AM

Names are NEVER removed, just flagged.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 11:39PM

Oh joy oh joy!!! Congrats. I am sure you are on cloud nine. We are happy for you and you are so right- no more tithing settlements or interviews, etc. The ole gang just doesn't have one more to push around. Best wishes.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 12:08AM

I am sooooo happy for you!!!

My letter has been sitting on my dresser for 5 months. It's going to my bishop. I put some personal things in there to him,to let him know he had a part in my leaving. Cocky jerk. I don't know what I am waiting for.I just need to mail it.. I think one concern is I included my 10 and 7 year olds-they even signed their names. I know the bishop will call dh about that.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 12:15AM

Huge.

This is JUST H U G E!!! There are few events that have the impact of your resignation. For the rest of your life, you'll be mentioning your past as BR and AF--before and after

R E S I G N A T I O N

I lift my virtual glass of champagne to you, Sister IF and celebrate you reclaiming your own life.

Way to go!

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.