Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: runner ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 02:37PM

Our family hasn't attended church in a couple of years. My neighbor must be in charge of getting people to clean the church.

I was so shocked when she asked, I think I must of been quite rude when I said no.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: michael ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 02:59PM

when you said "no"?

Posted by: chainsofmind ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 03:02PM

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 03:07PM

Maybe you should have a little fun with your neighbor. Go back to her and say:

"I have been thinking about your request and perhaps it is an answer to my prayers. We are having some financial hard times and are really in need of a major financial blessing.

If you can bless me with $10,000 in cash -- one hundred $100 dollar bills up front before we start the cleaning -- then we would be happy to clean the Church for three hours on Saturday morning."

Posted by: nomomoses ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 03:09PM

Since resigning, I have actually enjoyed the responses when I say no. I have always been very polite, except for the one that asked more than once. She got the message after the last time, and I actually felt bad and apologized.

I was very active, with several callings, prior to resigning so it caught them off guard.

Since the family is still in, I keep wondering what I will do when our turn comes up this fall (the other ward does January-June).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2011 04:00PM by nomomoses.

Posted by: freegirl10 ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 03:10PM

We got called to clean the church, also, and I don't believe anyone in that ward even knows who we are! Just names on a roster (for now.... mwahahaha!)

Date: February 08, 2011 03:30PM

It wasn't rude for me to say no, it was just the way I said it. This neighbor is my friend. I'm pretty sure the way I said no was a surprise to her.

She probably didn't want to ask me, but felt she had to because she was asked to contact those on the list. This particular lady would never say no to anyone in the church.

The whole thing just caught me off guard. I don't even like to go in the church, let alone clean it.

Posted by: rmw ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 04:00PM

Only a mormon would think it was ok to ask you to clean a church you don't even attend. They all think just being in the building will make you feel the Spirit. I'm sure they consider it a missionary opportunity and think they are doing you a favor...GAG.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 04:16PM

you don't even attend."

One of our posters (sorry, don't remember who) resigned 8 years ago and moved once or twice... then one day came home to a voicemail message from someone in the local ward. They stated that this poster's family was part of the chapel cleanup team for the coming Saturday, so be there by 9:00 to help!!!

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 05:04PM

Never saying NO to anyone in the church is not a great badge of honor, it's a sign of great studidity and slave conditioning.

If you were a little curt perhaps she needed to hear that and learn from it.
Members who rep for the cult get doors slammed in their faces quite frequently.

Date: February 08, 2011 06:23PM

Good point, Glo.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 07:33PM

If you feel you were rude, apologize to your neighbor and then explain why you were surprised and shocked to be asked since you don't attend and haven't for a long time. How would the neighbor feel if he were asked to help lean the local Catholic church. It really is a good comparison since you don't go anymore.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 07:54PM

Really *pisses* me off (pun intended).

;o)

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 09:24PM

It's the $#!ts!

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 09:42PM

When I was active in the mormons,,,it semed the same people got the same low-end shit jobs. Our family always were the one to help someone rebuild a barn,,paint a house,,set fences etc. There were some famlies that never got any extra jobs other than high calling in sunday school or bishopricks. Whever I see some people have "callings",,I know why I bailed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2011 09:42PM by unworthy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.