Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 04:50PM

In the current CHI, there is a statement, on page 166, "The Church accordingly affirms defining marriage as the legal and lawful union between a man and a woman."

OK, so my question is this: If a same sex couple marries, legally and lawfully according to the laws of the land (state or country), does the church recognize that marriage? It appears that the answer is no, even though it is legal and lawful (what's the difference between legal and lawful?). So, in other words, they do not recognize a legal and lawful marriage if they do not agree with it? Hmmm..... I thought one of the articles of faith talked about "...honoring, obeying and sustaining the law of the land..." If that is the case, what is the rationale to not recognize a legal same sex marriage? How can the church have it both ways?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 04:52PM

They covered that base with the "...between a man and a woman.." clause that, of course, ends the debate of same sex marriage. Clear and simple.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 04:55PM

Thanks, Ron. See, I was wondering about that honoring, obeying... thing. Obviously, the answer is a big no. So, the next question is this: Who gets to pick and choose which laws to obey? Just the church? They certainly did this with plural marriage.

Please pardon me while I go bend my mind around this.

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 06:23PM

because for the first 60 years of the church most of the marriages were not recognized by the state (every one other than the first marriage).

Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 07:46PM

Obviously, the church has to abide by the law. (Well, at least they're "supposed to" abide by the law.) Therefore, they cannot deny the marriage of a same-sex couple legally married in a state which permits such marriages. However, LDS Inc. does not have to grant membership to such a couple or extend to them any of the rights and privileges of membership in the church. (That is, "rights and privileges" looked at from the Morg point of view.) As I see it, this is one of the reasons they campaign against states legalizing same-sex marriage. It complicates things and reduces the pool of potential suckers - I mean, converts. And if same-sex marriage became the law of the U.S. of A., well, just imagine how flummoxed LDS Inc. would be then. Heh! Heh!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.