Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 05:43PM

The women's group at church creates shawls for those they feel need one.

Rather than donating yarn to the cause, which I should have done, I decided to make one. LOL!

I haven't laughed so hard trying to create something that I have doing this project. Surely, the HG won't be dwelling with the recipient of mine. LOL!

So these prayer shawls are give to those grieving or sickly or injured, but I am trying to figure out just why someone would want a shawl in their posession that reminds them of the worst day(s) of their lives.

On the other hand, I'm trying to figure out just why I would be spending time crocheting one myself. Someone please help me. ROFL!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Apatheist ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 05:59PM

My sister got a prayer shawl from someone at her church and she said whenever she uses it, she feels like she's wrapped in hugs. (I think it was given to her when my dad was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago.) It will really depend on the recipient as to whether or not they use it. Sometimes just that extra weight of something on their shoulders can be comforting and relaxing.

I crochet afghans for charity, so if you need any help with the stitching part, I can give you a few tips.

Date: February 08, 2011 06:06PM

Thanks for the information. It does help to know why someone would want cherish theirs.

The pattern I am using is called "cross stitch." I wanted to create something open and airy. I had to fudge in one portion because the number of stitches didn't work out. It is back on track now. :-)

Would you know how long my creation should be? I have been working on it for hours and it is a whole five inches long. :-)

By the time I finish it, I will probably be the one in need. LOL!

Posted by: chipsnsalsa ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 06:17PM

Do you have a ravelry account? I don't crochet but I do knit and would be happy to knit the shawl for you. :-)

Date: February 08, 2011 06:38PM

Now that I have spent $7.50 on three skeins of yarn, I probably should finish my little fiasco. Perhaps I can crochet flower to cover up the bald spots. ROFL!

Posted by: chipsnsalsa ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 08:49AM

Maybe :-) Is there any way to do something that might be simpler/faster? For example you could double up your yarn and use a bigger hook!

Date: February 09, 2011 09:48AM

Yes, I should have used a larger hook, you know... one the size of Captain Hook's prosthesis. :-) I would have been done in a few hours, with fringe. LOL!

Eight inches wide and counting.... :-)

Posted by: Apatheist ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 06:43PM

Length can just depend on preference, but one website I looked at said they should go from wrist to wrist with your arms out stretched (about 57 inches, give or take a few inches). You can always wrap it around your shoulders as you make it until you reach a length you like if the pattern doesn't specify the size or number of rows. Keep in mind that it will have some stretch too, especially depending on the type of yarn used. Working the short rows will take longer than working the shawl lengthwise. But once you get more familiar with the pattern, it should go a lot faster. I hate having to rip stitches out too. Makes me lose my motivation to make it if I end up losing hours of work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2011 06:44PM by Apatheist.

Date: February 09, 2011 10:02AM

Thanks for looking up shawl-size info on the web.

I am using three different colors of yarn with a repeat of about 12 inches or so. I should be done in a month. :-)

I have the pattern memorized, but if I don't work slowly enough on it, I may (and have) messed up the pattern. It aligns horizontally as well as vertically. The TRs cross making it quite lovely, but more time consuming by back tracking.

I'll post a picture when I'm finished with it.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: February 08, 2011 07:25PM

She's Lutheran (one of those Christians, that if there is a Christ, he's looking at her and her husband and saying "they got it!") and knows I'm Wiccan. When she gave it to me, she told me it was for prayer or meditation, and "when you use it, know that there are folks right down here that love you." Years later, I still use it and feel her love. I will always cherish it.

Date: February 09, 2011 10:17AM

Lutheran church.

I have all of the benefits of membership there without membership. I even have a "mailbox" in the members' mailbox unit that someone recently set up for me so I can receive their monthly newsletter and junk mail. :-)

Date: February 09, 2011 10:11AM

http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Guide-Crochet-Stitches-Projects/dp/1574869485/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1297264042&sr=8-15#reader_1574869485

I am using the pattern shown on the back cover of the above book, first column, third row down.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 03:48PM

At some point, does someone imbue the shawl with its magical prayer capabilities? Like when Mormons consecrate olive oil for use in blessings, or Catholic priests bless objects such as rosaries, etc.?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.