Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 09:05AM

I posted this the other day, but I think it got buried in the threads. It's important, and my thanks go out to whomever compiled it for "All Things Mormon" back in September. (I saw this information somewhere else, too, some time ago.)

Here's an excerpt:

The Tsunami Timeline:

2004 – Annual financial statement sent to the Charities Commission shows that members of the Church in the UK donate £252,000 to the Humanitarian Aid fund. Church spends £52,000, all of it on projects within the UK .

Donations to the Fast Offering Fund totaled £1,319,000. This was added to the existing balance of £1,186,000 already in the fund. £500,000 of this was transferred to the Church’s ‘sister’ charity, LDS (Welfare) “which will apply these funds to the relief of the poor and needy not only in the UK and Ireland but to other countries in Europe and Africa.”

26th December 2004 – at 07.58 local time an earthquake occurred off the west coast of Sumatra, Indonesia , measuring 9.3 on the Richter scale. The resultant Tsunami devastated thousands of communities around the Indian Ocean, and the death toll was measured in the hundreds of thousands.

29th December 2004 – First Presidency of the church issues a statement which was read from the pulpit at Sacrament Meeting the following Sunday.

“In association with other relief agencies, the Church is extending substantial humanitarian aid to the stricken people of southern Asia. We have representatives on the ground who are assessing needs and who are administering help.

This coming Sunday, 2 January 2005, will be our regular fast day. In the present circumstances, we urge our people to remember in their prayers those in the devastated areas and to contribute most generously in fast offerings, which will make it possible for the Church to increase its aid to those whose suffering is so great.”

1st January 2005 – Humanitarian Aid Fund begins the year with a balance of £200,000. Fast Offering Fund begins the year with a balance of £2,005,000.

2005 – Annual Financial Statement submitted to the Charities Commission show that members of the Church in the UK donate £509,000 to the Humanitarian Aid Fund. Church spends £34,000, all of it on projects within the UK .

Donations to the Fast Offering Fund totaled £1,597,000. This was added to the existing balance of £2,005,000 already in the fund. £500,000 of this was transferred to the Church’s ‘sister’ charity, LDS (Welfare). This money was spent on ‘Direct Charitable Expenditure’ which is defined as “expenditure directly relating to the objects of the charity”. In theory this could mean the building of chapels, or paying staff (which accounted for £1,094,000 over 2005).

In Summary – Humanitarian Aid Fund (2004 & 2005)

Income – £761,000
Expenditure – £86,000 (11%)
On Tsunami – zero
Balance sitting in the bank – £675,000

Fast Offering Fund (2004 & 2005)

Income (plus previous balance) – £4,102,000
Expenditure – £1,000,000 (24%)
On Tsunami – Impossible to quantify*
Balance sitting in the bank – £3,102,000

TBMs hate this kind of info, and swear that it is wrong. It is difficult to see evidence of this when you live in he free-for-all state of the USA. But other countries demand oversight, even by organizations that call themselves "charities." If you can analyze the LDS financial activity as it happens in the UK and Canada, you can get a view of what is happening elsewhere.

This pulls part of it into perspective, too:

In the United Kingdom, Canada and some other countries the LDS Church is required by law to show how it uses its finances.

The figures for the UK are particularly interesting when it comes to how much the LDS Church spent in humanitarian aid for last year (2012):

That year members donated £33,159,000, but gave £1,000 in humanitarian aid.
That is 0.003% of their income spent helping others in the world!
(They did a little better helping their own – spending 5.35% on that)

However, the LDS Church is the biggest welfare recipient in England, due to the land it owns and receives subsidies on for not growing food!
£1,000,000 according this BBC article (They say that money goes to charity – we know that was only 0.1%, so were did the other 99.9% go?)

After the 2005 tsunami the church asked UK members to donate money to help the tsunami victims. Guess how much of the UK members donations went to tsunami victims? Nothing went to the tsunami victims.*

Interestingly out of the $115,126,701 the LDS church received in Canada:
$102,900,000 (89.38%) went to the charity called Brigham Young University!

Over 25 years the LDS church gave $327.6 million dollars to humanitarian aid, thats just over $13 million dollars a year, thats out of about $6 billion in income per year. Thats 0.21% of its income per year. The LDS church spent 10x that on building a shopping mall! By comparison, the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, which is about the same size – but has a fraction of the income – spent over 10% on charity. The United Methodist church donates 29% of its income, almost twice as much per years as the LDS Church has donated in 25 years! That easily makes the LDS church one of the least charitable Churches (or even Corporations) in the world.

These were the top 10 charities in the U.S. in 1998:

1. Salvation Army* ° – $ 1,171,801,000
2. YMCA of the USA (Chic.)* – 493,874,000
3. American Red Cross* – 490,158,993
4. American Cancer Society* – 488,512,000
5. Fidelity Invest. Charitable – 456,176,185
6. Harvard Universtiy – 427,603,792
7. Catholic Charities* – 425,262,180
8. Second Harvestª – 400,598,748
9. Boys & Girls Clubs of Am.* – 382,767,534
10. Stanford Universtiy – 312,284,937

Taken from http://www.allthingsmormon.com/lds-finances/

For you Canadians: Just how did everyone feel knowing that the lion's share of "charitable donations" were diverted to BYU? Just wondering how this plays out there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 09:25AM

Excellent research. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 09:40AM

Growing up in the church, you always hear about all the relief that gets sent to Hurricane victims. Living in hurricane alley, I asked some of the Mos and ExMos, who have been through storms (I've never been through a major one) and they mention that while it is possible the church sent aid, they never noticed it among all the other stuff that poured in.

If anything, church exaggerations about helping in disasters probably actually hurts disaster relief. After major disasters, I've always seen trailers get filled up at food drives outside Walmart and Target. Each shopping center and radio station is seriously competing to fill up the first trailer, or fill up more than the other guys. I bet there will be a food drive at Wal-Mart today, when I go into town. If on the other hand, you think all your tithing dollars and fast offerings are already on the way, you may be less inclined to help. I remember my parents, back when they believed, talking about how we already gave through the church.

Posted by: almost ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 09:44AM

Too bad we don't have hard facts instead of assumptions, it will never be beloved until it is on a formal verified document

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 10:00AM

And Church has 130 Shiny temples to operate most half empty.

Posted by: Paidinfull ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 11:20AM

Shocking! Even when you know intuitively, seeing ANY numbers is a shock. Next to zero oversight in the US means it's even worse here

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 12:36PM

Most charities show less than 4% of donated money arrives in the hands of those for whom it was intended.
Therefore when I donate it is directly to the person who will benefit. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 10:47AM

Just 4%? I thought less than a 25% rate for a non-profit could prompt the IRS to audit, and less than 50-60% was once publicly declared to be a sign that you shouldn't give to that organization again.

After the United Way scandals and various Red Cross and youth foundation and church scandals of the past few decades, I thought people were catching on to groups who took in millions, but which never gave back, unless funneled to themselves and their business associates and cronies.

4% seems scandalously low; low enough to attract the wrong sort of attention (well, to me the right sort).

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 02:43PM

http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/#C

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Two sites where you can get info on exactly how much of a percentage a particular charity actually gives to the cause.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 02:45PM

It really, really is just a business.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 06:54PM

One wonders when one knows the origin of the OP'S name...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.