Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nomomoses ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 10:00AM

I'm enjoying my first drink of coffee in 20 years.

Used to drink coffee mixed with hot chocolate packets in the Navy, when I was Engineering Officer of the Watch, trying to stay awake on the midshift. Staring at 3 well trained petty officers operate the reactor in the middle of the night, it was a killer to stay awake.

This morning I was running late, so I got a sandwich and the Carmel Mocha at McD. MMMMM, it's quite good.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 10:06AM

the coffee warms my insides.

Date: February 09, 2011 10:12AM

I think it is funny when people complain of the smell of coffee. I have always loved the coffee aisle in the grocery store.

My son, who resigned 5 years ago, is living at home. DW has discussed allowing him to have his coffee maker in the kitchen. I think it's time to allow it only if he lets me have a cup each morning (on his tab, since we are providing everything else).

Posted by: themosthappy ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 12:31PM

I've always loved the smell as well. One special memory I have is when my grandma would visit and bring her little jar of instant coffee. She'd let me retrieve her mug from the microwave and take big whiffs of it between her sips :)

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 10:14AM

I'm still 'in' but I take the opportunity for the occasional Cappucino...ahhhhh.

I also get away with De-Caf because that is deemed fine as it has no caffeine in it!

Date: February 09, 2011 10:26AM

Love the de-caf argument.

It's the caffeine, no its the hot drinks, no its the other chemicals in tea and coffee, if its the caffeine-why is coke ok (I would have left a lot sooner if they absolutly made coke a no-no).

In SS a couple of months ago we were discussing the WofW, and the question was posed about iced tea. It was the SS pres that stated, in all earnesty, that since it is not hot it was ok.

I have always had issues with the WofW and the strange emphasis by some. In high school, it seemed it was ok to have sex, but don't get caught smoking or drinking. You'll never be able to go on a mission if you go against the WofW.

I have an aunt that refused to use chocolate. She once served hot carob at a mutual sledding party. That stuff was gross.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 10:20AM

Coffee each day keeps the prozac away.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 10:24AM

Mmmmmmmm, coffee! ... The "stuff" of life!

Timothy

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 11:28AM

I am still in shock that my TBM sister and bil drink sodas like water. diet sodas with caffeine.........but they would never try a healthy ice tea or ice coffee.......

And same TBMs went to see the R rated movie.......The King's Speech and thought that was ok since it was just some f and s words....(no sex?).

I love how the WOW and R rated movie revelations are bend.

K

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 11:29AM

and hot chocolate is okay, and iced tea is okay even though the tea was presumably hot at some point, is iced coffee okay? How about if the coffee has cooled to room temperature? Maybe you wouldn't want to drink it then, but how about if you heat it back up? Sorry, I haven't had my morning chai yet, but I just love that mo logic.

Posted by: themosthappy ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 12:34PM

I've always wondered this, too. My family drink soda like it's going out of style (fully caffeinated), and some "herbal" teas are ok, as well as hot chocolate, of course. However, they won't even eat a baked treat I've made if it has coffee in it. As in, a tablespoon of strong espresso, which is for taste only at that point.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 11:35AM

How do the Mormons reconcile all the work God had to do in just seven days?

Of course he created coffee first, how else could he do it all?

Posted by: Hane ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 12:41PM

Wasn't Joseph Smith's original warning against "hot soups and hot drinks"? So why has soup always been OK?

Posted by: Just wow ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 12:47PM

I think at this point Joseph Smith was entertaining himself by seeing just exactly how much his BS his followers would swallow. Quite a lot, it turns out. By this stage of his "ministry" he would literally be nipping in the room next door to hear the latest revelation from God.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 01:00PM

The mormons I work with often comment about how the luv the smell of my morning coffee and how it reminds them of their non-mormon or jack-mo dad/mom. It seems to be a way of proving how open minded and accepting of others they are.

Only in Utah. Everywhere else no one sees the need to comment at all.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 02:13PM

Well, at least I HOPE there's some humor in hell.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 02:53PM

Where else but RfM would you find a thread on coffee!! And how exciting it is.And whether it's good or bad,hot or cold,decaf or reg. Pretty funny!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.