Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 02:56PM

I know everyone knows this. But my seminary teacher pretty much "scared" us into letting the church stalk us. He said if you don't go to your ward that you are considered inactive(*GASP*). Which I don't find extremely fair, there are times people have to go to a different ward. If you go to a different ward they aren't in control of you and that just. won't. do.

That is all. Again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Unindoctrinated ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 03:18PM

When I first started reading this board, I heard the word cult thrown around and thought, "nah" TSCC isn't one.

I've done a 180 on that. Several things convinced me, one of them being that you MUST attend the building that THEY choose for you and the time. Doesn't matter if you have work or the schedule is inconvenient. Doesn't matter that you have friends or your kids have friends elsewhere.

We had really crazy ward and stake boundaries for awhile...really long and narrow. At one time, we passed by two stake center getting to ours. It was nuts.

You're spot on when you say it's about control.

Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 03:42PM

My four adult children all live some distance from my wife and I. All are inactive and have been since graduating high school. (I think they realized Mormonism is bogus long before I did.) Anyway, we periodically get phone calls from SLC HQ requesting information about our kids. We tell them straight out that we're not at liberty to reveal our children's phone numbers or addresses. I'm tempted to tell them to ask the prophet for a revelation. If he knows so much he ought to be able to come up with a street address!

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 03:51PM

while you are active. They call it home teachers, bishop interviews, PPI's, assignments, etc. Funny thing it is the embodiment of the kind of thing Satan wanted in the Pre-existance.

Posted by: kryptonite200 ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 04:06PM

This reminds me of a story that happened to me a few years ago. I'm an inactive Mormon and have been since I graduated from high school. I live in Dallas, Tx and my TBM family lives in Utah. Anyways I was in Utah visiting the family for the holidays but got there a little before everyone was off from work/school and had the house to myself for most of the day that week. Whenever someone would call I'd answer it and take a message for my family.

Well once I get a call from someone asking for my dad and told her he wasn't home, she then asked if I was kryptonite200 and I told her that I am. She then identified herself as someone working for church membership calling to get updated address/telephone information on me. I told her I was not interested in being contacted and not to bother my family about me again, but that was when I first realized that they go through family to try and find where you are. Had my dad been the one who answered the phone I think my information would probably have been freely given and I would have received a visit from someone in the church in my area shortly after.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 04:09PM

I'm embarrassed to say that I did give our info on my inactive siblings when I was still active. I didn't think it was any big deal. I don't think they cared as most of them still believe (and only one of them doesn't believe now that I "gave him permission"). BUT now I think how stupid I was.

I got a big laugh out of getting a letter about where my ex was. Our insurance agent found out he is gay (we were in the same singles' ward) and he was also in the stake high council--and all of a sudden I get a letter asking where my ex is. I tore it up.

Posted by: dieter ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 08:48PM

Wish they would call here my mino wife is always saying Im a mormon" when its convienent. So i would have to tell them she lives here. She after all says shes mormon. Its time for hwr to nut up or shutup and take a toilet cleaning calling.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.