Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 03:05PM

Seasonal Affective Disorder? Depression during the winter months?

Or, to put it in totally non-clinical terms . . . .

I want to lay around in my P.J.'s, wrap up in a comforter, eat chocolate, and dink around on the internet all day. (In between 12+ hours of random sleeping).

As I've grown older, I've finally learned to just go with the flow. This yearly depression is not crippling - just annoying. I simply get through it by remembering that SPRING ALWAYS COMES!!

Anybody else have SAD?? Feel free to b!tch here. ;o)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 03:07PM

By all means, eat chocolate!

Date: February 09, 2011 06:24PM

I swear if I lived in Alaska, I'd probably off myself.

;o)

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 03:10PM

I have Clinical Depression. Was hospitalized about 4 years ago for it and put on suicide watch.

Been dealing with it day by day ever since. I have been unemployed the last month looking for work and got a rejection for a job I actually wanted. (you know how you apply for work to get a job and then theres stuff you actually want to do, but you will take whatever comes because you need work)

So yesterday when the rejection came it threw me into quite the tailspin and I spent the day contemplating ways to end it all.

Of course knowing how my brain works trying to kill me, I was able to use counter talking methods to pull myself out of it, and am doing much better today.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 07:49PM

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 10:44AM

The difference is I know I am having a seizure when there is no cause for despair, and often have other SPS before. My meds can make the despair disappear within a half an hour. The problem is when stressful events trigger them. It can take a few minutes to realize the despair is still out of proportion to the events. I was originally diagnosed with major depression, and no surprise, treatments did not work. I still have difficulties, because the medication creates problems, but at least I can find relief from the worst of it - the emotional hell part, but often not from the other neurological problems.

I have summer SAD, and usually begin to feel worse near the end of spring, and beginning of summer. This winter has been stressful for me, and has not brought the usual relief. It has also been cold. My place does not heat well so I have been freezing.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 03:10PM

I live in the land of INVERSIONS--one of the worst places in the country actually--Cache Valley.

BUT I actually get worse reverse SAD in July and August.

I'm struggling this year--A LOT. And I have visitors coming next week and I don't want them to--one is my boyfriend, one is his daughter. Pretty sad when you don't want to pick yourself up off the floor and get ready for your boyfriend to come to visit. I am just SO unmotivated.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 03:11PM

Actually I am doing great. I get SAD during the summers. Just too much daytime for me.

Hope you feel better, I suggest dark chocolate too. VDay is close so the candy does not have calories.

Posted by: themosthappy ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 08:53PM

I swear I thought I was the only one. I also like the shorter, darker days (I also live for dark, stormy days), and summer is hard to get through.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 03:14PM

No, I have that "hurry up and pay me my bonus so I can get that thing I don't really need" syndrome. Same time, every year.

Ron

Posted by: nomomoses ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 03:16PM

For me it is usually December,

but, this morning I almost couldn't get out of bed. Was about ready to get the phone and call in sick. But here I am, checking out exmormon during my lunch break.

Posted by: Elle Bee ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 03:21PM

I have SAD too, and it SUCKS because people don't get how debilitating it can be. I have a lightbox for it because I refuse to take antidepressants for something that can be treated with light. Major depression every winter for the last 16 years.

Except this year. My doctor found out I have a severe vitamin D deficiency. She put me on high-dose prescription vitamin D supplements, and I didn't have very much depression all winter. Winter literally felt like summer this season, even with all the unusually cold/snowy/wintry weather. Didn't even have to use the lightbox much. Vitamin D has been a godsend. I recommend that anyone with SAD get tested, especially if you have darker skin like I do (the darker your skin, the lower your vitamin D production after sun exposure...who knew?).

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 03:29PM

Its set to come on automatically in the morning before I wake up and just after sun down to extend the day.

If you don't have one, there are a lot of cheap ones that don't put out enough light to make a difference. So make sure you get a good one so you don't waste your money.

Posted by: Elle Bee ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 04:02PM

Oh, I like my lightbox too! It was paid for by my insurance and it's one of the nicer models. I was just addressing my underlying nutritional deficiency (vitamin D deficiency) and noticed that my symptoms went away so that I was able to stop using the lightbox.

Posted by: Lillium ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 04:49PM

What kind of light boxes do y'all have? I ordered a Phillips one but it didn't get bright enough. After I sent it back I saw it was supposed to have 20 light settings but I couldn't find more than 4 so my techy ineptness may have been the problem there.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Hf3470-60-Wake-up-Light/dp/B003XN4RIC/ref=dp_cp_ob_hpc_title_0

They just shipped an Omega, should be here Friday. Can't wait to try it, but it doesn't come on by itself which I would like. I bet there's a timer of some sort I could buy to do that, you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Therapy-Device-Seasonal-Affective-Disorder/dp/B004FOQJJS/ref=rsl_mainw_dpl?ie=UTF8&m=A2U3XBAMXKHMHK

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:33PM

Happy Light by Verilux. I just have a separate plugin timer. Maybe some day I can afford the ones that simulate sunrise and sunset. And thanks Tahoe for mentioning Vit. D. I'm going to check into it.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:07PM

It's made a big difference for me also.

Just keep on keepin' on, Shannon. Things *eventually* get better :)

TG

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:11PM

But I want to get the dawn simulator light system too. This one is just the timer to brighten and dim the lights and I have to put together a rack of lights to be controlled by it. I'll have someone who knows what they're doing do that part. And it recommends that you aim them at the ceiling so the light is indirect.

It also helps that we moved last year to a house with better windows. We get a lot more natural light now. :)

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:12PM

Light therapy is also my friend.
Other than that, I just accept Winter as Downtime.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:36PM

I wrote a column about it a year ago October (I write a general intereste column on alternate Sundays for the local paper). Here's my column, published October 21, 2007 in the Douglas County News-Review:

=========
October can be a beautiful month, with the colorful fall foliage and the crisp cool mornings when the sky is a brillian blue.

But October is fickle, with many days of gray sky, winds and drizzling rain, and gloom everywhere. And each day is shorter than than yesterday, and each night lasts longer. We know that we're headed for the dark and cold of winter.

When I was a teacher years ago I noticed that every year in October I would begin to get depressed. I usually attributed it to the fact that when the school year had started in early September or late August, I was full of enthusiasm and great plans, with a completely clean slate and a fresh crop of eager minds to teach. By October it usually became evident that this school term was going to be no different from the last, these students were not going to achieve anything more than last term's group, and that was a depressing thought.

But not long ago scientists discovered that about one person in ten - and perhaps as many as two in ten - begins along around October to suffer from the physical reduction in the amount of sunlight available, and the principal symptom is depression. They call it "seasonal affective disorder," or "SAD" (what an appropriate acronym!). Sunlight affects the body's production of various chemicals that influence our moods, so a decrease in the amount of sunlight can affect how we feel emotionally and physically.

It's no wonder that alcoholism is a more severe problem with people who live in areas in the far north, such as Alaska or Finland. They're depressed.

Not everyone is affected. My wife can eat her breakfast in the half-dark kitchen with just one light on. I can't do it. I have to turn on all the lights, over the stove, over the sink, over the counters. Scientists suggest that this change in mood with the decrease in the amount of light available is in our genes, a relic from our early animal ancestors who hibernated in the winter. Naturally, my wife suggests that this proves she is more advanced on the evolutionary path than I am.

Fortunately SAD can be treated, relatively inexpensively, by supplying the body with more light than comes naturally from the sun. But not just any light will do. The light must mimic natural sunlight, and ordinary household lighting does not do that. Special lights, usually labeled "full-spectrum," are required. Many special lamps are available specifically for SAD therapy, but any lamp with a full-spectrum element will do. I bought a small desk lamp last year with a full-spectrum element, and it sits next to my computer screen so that the light shines on my face. It's important that the eyes are exposed to the light, but not directly.

Of course, if your depression is severe you should get professional advice.

I suppose my desk lamp is helping. How do you measure depression? And is it just the lack of sunlight? It's not only that we are heading for the dark of winter, but for us who are older it's also the realization that we are in the autumn of life. I could sit for hours in front of my full spectrum lamp, and still grow wistful and sad remembering old Walter Huston singing in his raspy voice, "For it's a long, long time from May to December, and the days grow short as you reach September, and the autumn weather turns the leaves to flame... September, November.... and these few precious days I'll spend... with you."

They are precious days, though few.

Now cheer up! Go turn on the lights!

Date: February 09, 2011 06:59PM

Very well done.

;o)

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:41PM

I think my cousin in Alaska has SAD. He and his wife get divorced during the winter months - then they remarry a year or two later, in the summer. This has happened three times and counting. :)

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:54PM

I go to the beach every warm, sunny day that we have, lift weights, exercise (Yoga) and walk. And I feel great when I do. After ONE week at my brother's house, stuck inside because it was cold out, Only exercising less than half the amount of time I usually do, it thrust me into a really weird mood. Definitely depression, but I feel good now that I'm back and going to the beach and getting plenty of sunlight. I would say, if I don't exercise at least 3 or 4 hours a day, I get depressed. Also, I am eating right and lowered my alcohol intake. Depressed people shouldn't drink.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 05:55PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:59PM

It's time for a long winter nap, which is really the sane response.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 07:29PM

I don't know if that's SAD or not, but yeah, something is definitely going on.

I just feel pent up.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 07:45PM

I don't have SAD but I really hate February. It's the coldest month of the year here and I work outdoors. Machinery is always breaking down due to the cold. And I hate getting stuck in the snow or just plain trying to walk around in deep snow.

I don't know much about SAD but I would think getting outdoors into the sun would help. And D3 definitely helps me.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 08:26PM

Winter is OK because the sun rises late. I hate when the sun starts coming up so early by about March, and wakes me up, and I feel physically drained by evening. The past few years I've had all kinds of physical reactions to shortened/interrupted sleep beginning about March through July. (Pains, twitching muscles, physically exhausted, etc.)

Wearing a sleep mask has helped some, as well as going to bed earlier for the inevitable early wake-up, but I hate going to bed what seems like right after dinner. I don't like getting up early in spring and summer because of the light, as the early morning hours seem such a waste of the day to get up that early.

I've heard all about blacken the bedroom totally, but pets know it's light out. I can't get rid of them, so I hate spring in having to alter my bedtime and getting up time, which doesn't coincide with the time for work, etc.

Fall is the best.

Posted by: dieter ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 08:34PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 03:07AM

February has a lot more light than December.

Posted by: experienceheals ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 03:30AM

increase your Vitamin D3 intake, sit under a full spectrum u.v. lamp/bulb for at least a couple hours when it's not sunny out. When it's sunny out, be sure to take full advantage of it. Get plenty of exercise, eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, fiber, carbohydrates. You don't want to overdo it on the calcium intake through foods and vitamins though, because it can have devastating effects on your digestive system if overdone over a period of time.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 11:01AM

Been a while since I read it but, as I remember, lots of interesting points.

For one, depression seems somewhat correlated with higher IQ. The more clearly you see the world and the human condition, the more there is to be depressed about. Not a surprise that those who were able to see through the deceit of tssc might also be prone to depression.

Another: that depression is correlated with shyness and both have to do with keen observation of the environment and human relationships. Both were probably useful in an evolutionary sense because the powers of observation and scrutiny kept one safer.

It is fascinating to me that so many artists, composers, writers, those with acute insight, are also subject to higher degrees of depression. Perhaps those higher levels of depression among Mormons might indicate that those with a greater ability to see truth are thwarted by the top down crap the church dictates.

Posted by: experienceheals ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 01:08PM

thanks for sharing. I think I fit the bill with a lot of those mentioned, just at varying degrees. I believe all people struggle with something at different levels and times of their life for different reasons.

Posted by: westernwillows ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 11:01AM

Its been worse these last two years since I got married and have been exiled to a small town. I don't have a good network of girlfriends here, so I'm not getting out as much as I should. I bought a business that I run out of my basement, and winter is my busy season so I know I'm not getting as much sunlight as I need. Until this year, I've always had an indoor arena for my horses, so I've always made it a point to ride EVERY DAY (unless its below 0) but in this small town no one has one that they're willing to let me use, and its too icy to trailer to the fairgrounds, so I haven't been on my horses since July. That's the big thing that is getting me this year. I haven't seen bare ground since before Thanksgiving. I thought all those stories about Montana were just rumors!

I get almost manic when the sunlight comes back in March. I feel like I can do anything. I'm so happy I could scream from the rooftops or dance on tables.

7 more years in Montana and then I am moving someplace warm and sunny!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 01:32PM

Posted by: Really?! ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 01:47PM

I had it for a long time, and a combination of tanning booths and saunas went a long way for me. I haven't had it since I spent an entire winter frequenting the sauna. In fact this last winter, after nearly 2 months of rain, I was disappointed when it ended!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.