Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: intheory ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 10:31PM

I read something about secret names being given at the temple? What is that about please? Thanks...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 10:39PM

Everyone gets a new name. The husband knows his wife's new name but she doesn't know his. No one else is supposed to know. Apparently there are two names for the day-one of men and one for women.That is also supposed to bw a secred. the name is supposed to be the name you were given in the pre-existence.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 10:48PM

Everyone has to learn a serious of secret ("sacred") handshakes and passwords. The "new name" everyone receives is part of the whole get-into-heaven process Mormons memorize while attending the temple. Every time a Mormon goes to temple, he or she practices the process of getting into Mormon heaven ...

... AND, NO, I AM NOT KIDDING! MORMONISM IS A FREAK SHOW FROM START TO FINISH!

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 10:59PM

Sorry, but I hadn't heard that before. So, everyone who was given that certain secret name just happened to be taking out their endowments on the same day - WOW! The marvelous things Heavenly Daddy engineers. I am all agog.

Gad - just when Mormonism can't seem to get any dumber.

Posted by: chainsofmind ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 11:04PM

God works in mysterious ways. Can you not conceive that an all knowing God would know when you would go through the temple?

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 10:38AM

chainsofmind Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> God works in mysterious ways. Can you not
> conceive that an all knowing God would know when
> you would go through the temple?
===================================
Hey, yo, chainsofmind, wouldn't an all-knowing God know who a person was without all them weird names and secret handshakes and stuff?

Glad 2B dog,
Reggie, The StalkerDog™

Date: February 10, 2011 11:46AM

Like I said, He works in mysterious ways. You don't know why he wants us to go through the temple. Maybe there is some understanding that our feeble minds will reach once we learn the things in the temple. Maybe our minds must reach this understanding before God will let us in heaven.

Or maybe we are just being testing to see how stupid we are and only those that realized they're being duped and get the hell out will gain favor with skydaddy.

Ramen

Date: February 09, 2011 10:45PM

It's part of the ridiculous and meaningless temple ritual, along with the secret handshakes and such. The culmination of the ceremony is when you pass through the 'veil'. This is where you give all your secret handshakes and secret name to the temple worker on the other side. Its supposed to represent getting into the highest levels of heaven. You can find the full rituals posted all over the net if your interested.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 10:47PM

When I got mine I was taught that if I did not keep every promise I made in the temple, Satan would get me.

I was taught that if I revealed what happened in the temple I might "suffer my life to be taken". This included pantomine motions of having my throat cut, my stomach cut, etc.

Date: February 09, 2011 11:23PM

What are the names like? That is amazing about the names being from pre existence. And also WOW about the husband being the only one that knows his wife's name?!

Date: February 09, 2011 11:48PM

Mine was Japeth. My wifes was Naomi.

Yes it is true that the Husband must know the wifes name, but the wife does not know her husbands name.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 11:49PM

LUCY!

This was one of the things I anxiously awaited ALL MY LIFE--my special name that God had chosen just for me. It was one of my WTF moments--and the same for my ex-husband. He even said, "WHAT!?!?" when I gave him my name through the veil.

His sister's dog is named Lucy. Even my TBM daughter chuckles over that one.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 01:40AM

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 10:18AM

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 10:50AM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 11:57PM

...is that all men receive the same name on the same day, and the women all receive the same woman's name on the same day. So if the name is "Nephi" (all the names come from the scriptures, more or less), then every man going through becomes Nephi.

Posted by: rj ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 11:58PM

Mine is Heber, my wifes is Abagail

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 12:14AM

Like if your real name was Wilberforce and that was the new name everyone else got, then your New Name will be Adam.

If you are a woman and your real name and the NewName was Beulah, you'll be called Eve (being a male it is hard to verify this).

The first time I realized it was not inspired was when I went through with 3 temple file names. Every one of them got the same new name. When I asked about it later, I was told that if you ever forgot your new name you just called the temple where you had your First Endowment and gave them your first name and the date.

Prior to that, I thought that they were recieving it by revelation.

Posted by: freeasabird ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 12:57AM

Mine is Tabitha, I don't know my husbands because he says he doesn't remember it. Grrr!

Posted by: experienceheals ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 03:21AM

I don't remember mine, probably because it sounded retarded. I didn't really care much either. I remembered my wife's. It's kinda cool.She used to get pissed when ever I would call her by her given name in public. haha! probably not so much anymore.

Posted by: chiefluma ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 05:23AM

My name was John I think.... my wife name was martha lol

Yes it's all ture!

And Temples were never in the BOM. Joseph Smith become a 13th degree Freemason in three weeks, so he can copy the ritals and make his own up. But most of them are taken from the Freemasons.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 07:24AM

Phillip and Rose here.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 07:24AM

Mine is name of a fried sandwich, with sauerkraut and rye bread. It's kind of long to give, but when server with a kosher deli pickle, is really quite tasty.

Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 09:17AM

Mine is Huldah. I will NEVER forget the old temple lady spelling it out for me... I thought that I had heard her wrong, at first.

Posted by: anaon ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 10:39AM

Huldah? I'd leave and come back another day.

Posted by: sadboy ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 10:09AM

What's dumb is later you go back to the temple with family members for their first time and because you're going through for a dead guy you learn the name of the day as well. So now I know all my brother in laws' temple names, but their wives do not.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 10:40AM

she forgot her new name. There is a place in the ceremony where they officiator tells you to raise your hand if you forgot the new name.

She did, and was blown away when one of the workers somehow knew the name. Later, she found out that everyone had the same new name, including someone she knew who went through with her that day.

That's funny about getting the default name (if your actual name is the same as the new name). I felt pretty special that my new name was Eve.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 10:51AM

Posted by: experienceheals ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 12:33PM

I just went through the different ordinances to play the game until I could just please my wife's family by getting married in the temple. My wife could have cared less if it weren't for her overbearing critical family she didn't want to disappoint and let down. I didn't want to let her family down or embarrass her in front of them either. So even though we both had plenty of sex before we got married, we basically had to lie to get married in the temple. More than likely many other couples have done the same. I've recently let her parents know, I'm through saying and doing things just to make them feel comfortable. They can throw all the fits they want and accuse me for what ever, at least I have the integrity to be honest with myself and they can kiss my ass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2011 12:34PM by experienceheals.

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 12:14PM

Mine was Mosiah, that made me feel so special, my ex's was Eve. Now I know everyone had the same name that day, it ain't so special anymore.

Date: February 10, 2011 01:44PM

Do you think it bothers the wives that they can't know the husband's name but he knows hers? Do you think it makes the men feel important?

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 01:46PM

It always bothered me when I was a TBM wife. Now that I've resigned, I don't really care, because it's all a lie. My DH says he doesn't remember his secret name. We were not married in a mormon temple.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.