Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 01:28AM

We haven't attended church in 10 years but every so often we still get mail from some new HT or VT because they can't reach us any other way. We live in a double-gated community.

So this week, I received a note from somronr claiming to be my newly apointed "VT". She has a very unusual last name, which I promptly googled.

Lo and behold, this person was mentioned by 2 different missionaries on their websites.

Turns out, she lives across town and is a new convert who used to ride with the Hell's Angels !!!
And her husband is currently in jail !!!!!!

Exactly the kind of people I would want in my home if we were still active. LOL..... NOT.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: runner ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 01:55AM

LOL! That is funny.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 11:37AM

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 11:40AM

not to be judgemental, but the church is having a hard time convincing the well-educated to join 'round these parts. But you see, that proves that the "proud will be as stubble" soon. Only the humble will listen "to the shepherd's voice" ... whatever.

Posted by: experienceheals ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 12:21PM

well I just met a member of one last week when he came to replace our garbage disposal. I was a bit nervous to let him in our home, just because of the way he looked and a certain vibe I got from him when I first saw him a month or two ago when he first started out as a maintenance guy.

As he was replacing our disposal, I was chilling/talking with him, as he brought up about religion and belief discussion. He told me just about everything he's been through, everything from Atheist, jehovas witness, pagan, catholic and now non-denominational Christian.( www.bikersforchrist.org ) He told me enough, except for one fine detail.

He told me he thought he was screwed when it comes to his eternal salvation and being saved. He told me he's done a lot of things that got him into trouble, even when it was fun in the beginning, he paid the price for it later. My immediate response was, well, we reap what we sow. Then I said, we all make mistakes, and it's never too late to start fresh and new. A feeling of hope, relief and comfort came over him. I saw it happen right in front of me. He knew and felt I was right, which in turn was a reminder that gave him comfort.

He then finished up his job, I asked him his name, we shook hands and I told him to have a nice day, and he said the same to you my brother. usually only born again Christians call each other brother when they really mean it. It sounded like he just needed someone to talk to and someone willing to listen, because he was beating himself up over things he's done in the past.

anyhow, I have some pretty good ideas what he was talking about, when he said he thinks he's screwed for his own salvation. I could get some fairly good ideas, because I have a couple of cousins back east who did some bad things, were bikers when they were younger and they almost became a hells angel. I know what hells angels need to do before becoming a member. They have to either kill someone or beat them up really bad, or take the initiation test of fighting against a group of their own guys.

I also know a lot about these kind of things just from having brother in-laws who are cops and watching the show cops and crime stoppers every now and then. Anyhow, how bad can this guy be if he's free from prison, unless he's never been caught and has changed alias's to evade the police if he's committed any horrible crimes. You never know what people are capable of, but this guy truly seemed to genuinely want to turn his life around for the better. I can tell by his honesty and his overall tone and demeanor as I was talking with him, even though I still sensed he was dealing with some regrets. He seems to really want to live the best way he can through Christ's example.

You just never know and you can't judge a book by it's cover.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2011 12:26PM by experienceheals.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 12:27PM

Do you ever notice that when christers do something they really like to do it is never for themselves. It is always for some B.S. christer agenda.

Bikers for christ indeed !!!

Posted by: experienceheals ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 12:42PM

This guy lived a life only doing what he wanted for himself. He felt it was a very selfish lifestyle to do and say whatever he wanted and not care who he hurt in the process. If it makes him feel good to do things for others with the influence of Christ's example, more power to him, because it has changed his attitude and over all outlook on people and things around him. He chooses to see the good in helping others and them helping him one way or another. I know what you mean though, by someone not being completely true to themselves, but one can not honestly be self centered (doing things for themselves) and be happy with that their entire lives. It really is about stepping outside of ourselves to help others in any way we can because we want to. I don't think this guy was changing his life around for christ only, but because he wanted to. I could tell.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 12:53PM

If you'll just get on your knees and ax Christ how you can service him, you too can feel the warm love of Christ all over your face.

And if you service Christ, you are also servicing yourself.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 12:32PM

This illustrates precisely what is wrong with the HT/VT program.

It forces hapless members to let people into their homes they would never associate with under normal circumstances.

The last HT we had some years ago tried to push a MLM scheme which required an entry fee of a mere $ 8,000.00 dollars.
I mailed him back his little folder and we refused to have any further HT/VT after that.

It also looks like the morg is scraping the bottom of the barrel with new converts.

As in the case of those bikers, some might even become dangerous.
TBMs often have no idea who they are dealing with because the morg does not require background checks.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 12:39PM

Just wanted to add I have nothing against bikers when it's doctors,lawyers,etc

But such people usually do not join Hell's Angels or wind up in prison. God.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.