Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nona ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 03:40PM

Sure, I don't agree with what he said, but thinking about it from the perspective of taking down the church, it's not going to help much.

If it's true that the church is going to receive 100,000 letters from gay-rights activists, and that it's all over the news in the USA, I think that very soon the church will stop saying anything even remotely homophobic ever again. Whilst this is a good thing in a way, it's going to slow down the crumbling of the church.

We even saw the church donate money towards protecting the rights of gay people after the Prop 8 fiasco. We all know the church has a LOT of money, and do we want them to be making themselves look good in public?

I heard they even changed some of the text of the talk. They're already starting to become less homophobic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 03:48PM

I don't agree that the Morg is becoming "less homophobic", rather, they're just covering their tracks like a cat in a litter box. They want to sanitize the public appearance but the homophobic mentality hasn't changed a bit. The G.As are accomplished liars and have hired-gun spin doctors to keep up respectable appearances. This issue may be difficult to camouflage, given all the uproar, but the Church has survived many previous outrages and I've no doubt they'll survive this one, too. But make no mistake, the G.As are the same homophobic bigots today that they were yesterday.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 03:55PM

It's a huge bunch of corporations that function quite nicely outside the religion. Those won't be going away anytime soon.They must be massively rich. I'm guessing of course, based on probabilities.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 03:59PM

But this has damaged TSCC and caused many to resign and others to start questioning. It has brought down TSCC just a little, as did the Prop 8 PR nightmare. Lots of little steps can lead to a destination very far away.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 05:29PM

Posted by: george ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 04:13PM

The marble monolith that is the LDS church is being slowly picked at. It is not a pretty sight. Storms can further damage it, and vandals sometimes like to mess with old cemetery stones. As for a direct lightening strike, it could be cracked in half. Interesting to see what ten years will bring.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.