Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 04:23PM

Social Media, indeed none other than a facebook campaign is being credited for igniting the revolution in Egypt. Authoritarian regimes thrive best in the dark, do better in secrecy, and are powered best by fear. Social media allows the oppressed to unite more easily, it allows for empowerment as individuals join, share stories and plan together.

Never in the history of the world has more information, true and false, been so readily available. But that free flow of information has brought a new era to the world. The time of authoritarian rule is coming to an end. Truth will prevail, the people will have their freedom. The brethren are afraid.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 04:37PM

Ramen. But let's just hope the net never gets the ax.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 05:46PM

The difference - there won't be an uprising in the streets like there was in Egypt. Mormons do have an out that the Egyptians didn't have. A Mormon can just up and walk away from it all. The vast majority of Egyptians could not just up and walk away. A mass uprising requires that kind of desperation.

The similarity - Mormonism maintains its control be being repressive, but the vehicle in most cases is family pressure rather than direct church pressure. That's why it works so poorly against converts whose extended families are not Mormon. Family pressure is the real key, and it takes two generations to create that in a convert family. While Mormons can walk away from Mormonism, it is much more difficult most of the time to walk away from family.

That said, social networking, and I include RFM in that, has shown Mormons that it is possible to deal with the family pressure, and that there is life outside the Truman Show world of Mormonism. That is an extraordinarily powerful message.

I would be extremely surprised if Mormonism ever fell in a catastrophic-failure mode like we just saw in Egypt. But, I've already seen on in my own extended family an almost complete failure of TBMitude. Mormonism will collapse one individual or, with luck, family at a time. It will be less like an earthquake and more like a glacier. Glaciers are slow, but very effective at grinding things down to nothing.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 07:06PM

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 06:40PM

the bruthrun have had their way by controlling the message and controlling the conversation. Hell, even parents are afraid to talk candidly with thier own children about temple creepiness, weird history, embarrassing facts in mormonism. Don't discuss the temple outside the temple. Shhh, don't talk about sacred stuff. Dont' speak ill of the lard's annointed. Bow your head and say yes.

All that comes crubling down with the resources now available with the click of a mouse.

In the past, even siblings would be afraid to talk with each other about doubts and questions. Now there are communities all over the internet for people to turn to.

The so-called emperors have no clothes.

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 08:15PM

Concern regime changes, one just never know what or who will fill the created vacuum. A Military regime sounds scary as ell. Will the Muslim Brotherhood bring n true freedom or Shariah laws? I'm thinking of the Persian/Iranian revolution which brought down the
Shah and was replaced by the Aytollah and back into the Middle Ages, and look at this crazy man they have now.

Look at Lebanon's Hizbollah, or Gaza which was taken over by Hamas. I hope for the best! The whole Middle East seems like a constant powder cake and we're always in the midst of it due to our oil dependence.

Concerning the mormon church. Her leaders don't really appear to be so worshipped as he early 'prophets' nor feared as in the early days. Because of our 21th century information highway more and more members are being educated and leave, All of their 'reform' doesn't help their cause but is received for what it is--- more lies.

Thank God, I just learned today, my former bff who I had converted while TBM has left the morg and wants to come to visit from out-of-state where she's moved to.
Yep! The internet has done what I couldn't convince her of via face to face. Whatever worked, I'm glad!

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 08:46PM

Well now I know why I can't get on facebook in this loud country. I do hope this drought continues through the spring, and seriously screws up the Chinese economy. As it stands the Chiense economy is held up by Tofu buildings and congee cement.

But the Chinese people are such sheeple, so insular. Nothing will really motivate them, unless a doozey of a economic S-storm. Hopefully my Visa will expire by then. I'm not setting foot in my ancestrial home ever again. Hong kong, of course, Taiwan definatly, but not China I'm afraid. It's a cultural wasteland of Avant Garde nonsense Yoko Ono Plastic Ono, "artwork", and pseudo Western motifs. All Souless, as souless as 3 hour ward meeting.

Perhaps when the CCP falls, and hope and life returns to the people. I highly doubt it seeing the way the young act.... Infact the immergration of Chinese out into the Disporia, the over seas Chinese, mirrors our exiting from Mormonism, the Greg Dodge letters, (the Exit Visas), the inadquacies and struggles to find ourselves and find our unique place in life (adjusting to a new society, new world, perhaps upgrade education). Some Chinese immergrate to Mayalasia, and Indonesia, Singapore, where they can experience freedom and certainty, and a vibrant culture. Others of us escape to a life of confusion as we try to transition to new lives.

While the CCP and the Morg, arrogantly claims that the problems are with us that we left, but not with them that we're leaving.....

I do hope Chairman Fool (Hu), is next. His stinky Greasy hair, is fouling up the hair as badly as Monson's diabetic sweat and rotting gums.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 04:02AM

happycat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well now I know why I can't get on facebook in
> this loud country. I do hope this drought
> continues through the spring, and seriously screws
> up the Chinese economy. As it stands the Chiense
> economy is held up by Tofu buildings and congee
> cement.
>
> But the Chinese people are such sheeple, so
> insular. Nothing will really motivate them, unless
> a doozey of a economic S-storm. Hopefully my Visa
> will expire by then. I'm not setting foot in my
> ancestrial home ever again. Hong kong, of course,
> Taiwan definatly, but not China I'm afraid. It's a
> cultural wasteland of Avant Garde nonsense Yoko
> Ono Plastic Ono, "artwork", and pseudo Western
> motifs. All Souless, as souless as 3 hour ward
> meeting.
>
> Perhaps when the CCP falls, and hope and life
> returns to the people. I highly doubt it seeing
> the way the young act.... Infact the immergration
> of Chinese out into the Disporia, the over seas
> Chinese, mirrors our exiting from Mormonism, the
> Greg Dodge letters, (the Exit Visas), the
> inadquacies and struggles to find ourselves and
> find our unique place in life (adjusting to a new
> society, new world, perhaps upgrade education).
> Some Chinese immergrate to Mayalasia, and
> Indonesia, Singapore, where they can experience
> freedom and certainty, and a vibrant culture.
> Others of us escape to a life of confusion as we
> try to transition to new lives.
>
> While the CCP and the Morg, arrogantly claims that
> the problems are with us that we left, but not
> with them that we're leaving.....
>
> I do hope Chairman Fool (Hu), is next. His stinky
> Greasy hair, is fouling up the hair as badly as
> Monson's diabetic sweat and rotting gums.

I spent part of my childhood in British Hong Kong. Loved it. Went to the PRC in 1981 and saw the real China and glad I saw it before the modernization. Went back a few years ago and couldn't believe how many of our mistakes they copied. China had the opportunity to build something unique and new. Instead, they just copied our mistakes and now they have horrible pollution and traffic jams. China is just going to be another corporate screwed plastic place while the interesting uniqueness gets bull dozed and flooded over.

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 08:14PM

Wonders what the Mormon missionaries are going to think when they get off the plane and see the REAL China. That so called secert mission missionary, getting a super special call from the prophet himself. etc.

and is up to his or her eyeballs in goo and garbage. lol.

and some very powerful people doing some very screwed up things. like REALLY screwed up things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 08:16PM by happycat.

Posted by: Emmas flaming sword ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 11:12PM

Power to the people. We exmos out number the TBMs let's flood temple square for 18 days and demand the resignation of Monson- ah, such a nice day dream.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 12:08AM

but the fallout in their lives probably keeps them from even considering it.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 04:54AM

even if LDS INC does totally collapse & the SLC head quarters is in total dissarry. the family will appoint an in family accountant to go on collecting tithing & keep those funds secure until some thief from Slc can declare himself the new *profit* and take those funds in the name of God, and the upcoming generation will be expected to just get on the same old BS tread mill while LDS inc continues to suck the family dry & blight the future for the upcoming generation.

MORmONS!

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 09:00PM

You must be related to my DH because you just described his stupid ass TBM family to a T.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 08:20PM

I doubt the brethren are afraid. The Mormon church's rule over people who are highly prone to influence is vastly different than any modicum of politics we see in the middle east.

A protest wouldn't do anything to the Mormon church. They would just change in subtle ways and move on.

The only thing that'll hurt them is if everybody stops paying tithing. Then they are screwed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.