Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mormon411 ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 05:55AM

My step-father, ultra TBM, refuses to see the new Harry Potter because of the "nude" scene.

The scene in question is only a few seconds long, shows no actual nudity, and is only Harry and Hermione kissing topless. And it's a vision or something; not an actual interaction between the two.

Are the Mormons running out of stuff to be offended by? You see far more skin at any local swimming pool.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nomomoses ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 10:05AM

A neighbor went with her daughter, and said she had to cover her eyes during the nude scene. She said she was glad she only took her oldest-teenage daughter.

When I finally went to see it, it almost made me laugh in the theater. A side shot without even a nip showing? That was not a nude scene.

I rather enjoyed all the Harry Potters changing clothes. Especially with the bra on.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 10:23AM

My parents took us to Titanic when it came out and didn't seem bothered by the nude scene.

My mom refuses to watch ANY Harry Potter movie because it deals with witchcraft and magic...

But then asks for priesthood blessings...*snicker*

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 10:46AM

If they just said they kissed, the Morgbots wouldn't have a problem (well.....some might). The media isn't aiming the "nude" scene specifically at the Morg, but at any conservatives that would be offended by a "nude" scene.

To think of it, it was probably called a "nude" scene by the producers to get free advertising. Sure they might lose a few viewers, but the controversy is free advertising under the category of "no free advertisement is bad."

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 10:47AM

Then he heard about "the nudity scene" and canceled the show and got his money back............ONLY in Utah. :)

I also have TBM family who saw the movie...even a 14 year old and they thought it was fine.......just part of the story.

I haven't seen it........just because I'm not into HP.

K

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 07:11PM

Most Mormons have their garments tangled around their brains.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 07:20PM

My ten year old TBM niece saw Titanic and her parents had no problem. They didn't let her 5 year old sister go, but that was because of the shipwreck and death. She was prone to nightmares and they have a boat. The nudity wasn't an issue, they just didn't want her sleeping with them every night and refusing to get on the boat. It depends on the people.When I taught junior high, we had an end of term reward movie and there were always a couple of parents, either TBM or Evanglical, who wouln't let their kids see the movie we picked. We could only show G or PG movies and even then they had to be approved by the TBM principal, so it isn't like I was showing anything obscene.They objected to everything from minor swearing, anything to do with magic,implied sex or nudity, or even misbehaving kids.One kid had to go to the library because he mother didn't want her to see "Home Alone'.

Posted by: duffy ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 08:00PM

I had read that a lot of people (Wash DC area) were upset that there was a "nude scene" in the new Harry Potter movie. Some were trying to organize boycotts. I was a little surprised because it was supposed to be between Harry and Hermione, and since I've read all the books, that doesn't make sense because they are not a couple and I didn't remember any love scene between them in the last book.

I sort of forgot about it until last weekend when I finally had time to go see the movie. When this "nude scene" came on the screen, I wanted to jump up and yell, "Is THIS what everybody's upset about???" It was a total non-issue. Ron was feeling jealous and was imagining that Harry and Hermione were in love. He sees a vision of them kissing. They were like a white, animated cartoon. They were standing up. It appeared that they might be naked because their shoulders were bare. But you couldn't see ANYthing you wouldn't see at the beach. In fact I usually see a lot MORE at the beach.

This is what happens when people get all bent out of shape over things they know nothing about.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 09:03PM

Yep. And I also know TBMs that won't watch Oprah or Glee because they are "pushing the gay agenda".

Ugh.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 09:22PM

Posted by: Gullibles Travels ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 09:34PM

Posted by: xr ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 10:12PM

Seriously a lot of conservative religious types need to grow up. We see nudity every day we stand in front of a mirror before a bath or shower or when getting changed or whenever. Of course unless the moron closes their eyes when changing garments.
I am sick of these people and their ridiculous acceptance of gross violence in life and art while being scared of a few nipples on the tv screen. Uggh. Grow up.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 10:26PM

If THAT was a "nude scene", then I'm the Pope.

Pfffftttt....

Ron

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 11:34PM

Ron? Ron Weasley?

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 10:37PM

There was nothing erotic about that scene. It was Ron's imagination running wild, and the audience laughed at the context.

There was no more nudity than you would see at a ward pool party. The tone was humorous and Mormons just need to get over themselves.

What's funny is that most of them are prejudiced against the film based on what they've heard. If they went to the movie without knowing about the scene, they probably wouldn't think much of it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.