Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 11:51AM

And what did you think of it? I have not, but how does it compare to the other books on Mormon polygamy? Is there anything new it? Is it worth the read?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 02:13PM

It lists all of the 200+ men and 700+ women in secret polygamy in Nauvoo and all sorts of stories and details about each.

I found it dry. I got it from the library and I should go give it another try.

It would be invaluable for research however. There is no denying what happened back there after seeing this book. The details were staggering.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 02:32PM

Yup, it's dry, but if you have family going back to Nauvoo days it is quite interesting. (Okay, maybe you have to be a genealogy nut too.) For example, I learned that my cousin 3x removed was a 70 and I know the day he was "endowed" in the Nauvoo Temple. Why is this so fascinating? I've been doing research on him--he was at MMM.

Back to the subject: I also heard Smith speak around the time the book came out. Brian Hales too--(the anesthesiologist) who was trying to debunk Smith.

Smith includes information on Joseph Smith's wives and the history of polygamy in other religious sects. I just pulled out my copy and see I have at least 3 dozen pages flagged.

For readability it comes in second to Compton's In Sacred Loneliness, but I'd say Smith's purpose was to provide an exhaustive survey of the subject and I think he does pretty well.

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 10:54PM

What was really disturbing to read, was, Smith and often Emma as well, lived with the families where the girls he later married were between 5-12 at that time.

Posted by: boo ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 10:55AM

That's what bothered me too - it was as if Joseph was grooming these girls. Many of them had know him since they were small children, something which made them all the more likely to trust him and give in to pressure to marry him.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 02:21PM

Nina Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What was really disturbing to read, was, Smith and
> often Emma as well, lived with the families where
> the girls he later married were between 5-12 at
> that time.

Seriously perverted prophet.

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 05:34PM

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 09:50PM

It'll take awhile to wade through it, but I like to be as informed as possible about this, seeing how my kids have polygamous roots through their father.

Sick, sick, perverted profit$, stinkers, and revelers.

TG

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.