Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 10:14AM

Just as the last board went down, I saw on BYU TV the conference talk from Bednar I think...giving a "Faith Promoting Story" many here have posted about...

He talked about how a young RM was courting a pretty young mormon girl for marriage and was close to popping the question. She wore 2 ear rings in each ear...which apparently didn't bother the RM...UNTIL

Hinckley gave his speech "asking" that mormon women wear only 1 ear ring in each ear.

This fine young RM noticed that his prospective wife did not take heed of the Prophet's "advice" and broke off the relationship...

All I can think is..."REALLY?? this "promotes faith for TBM's?"
To us nonmormons, heathens, nonbelievers, whatever we are considered by the faithful...this just appears extremely shallow, pathetic, sad, and controlling/cult like.

It's funny when the mormon hierarchy talks to the flock with sh1t like this keeping them inline and feeling better about themselves...but to the real world they appear just plain weird and pathetic..

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: HomelessNoMore ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 10:43PM

I believe I heard Bednar's talk before I had made even vague plans to leave the cult, and it pissed me off to no end what a douche the RM was to dump his 'marriage-material' girlfriend over a petty thing like that. Being a nonconformist, I saw it as yet another stupid rule made to make church members into robots, all looking and sounding and thinking the same. It was one of the many small things that, put together, made a mountain of reasons for me to get out of there.

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 10:54PM

What with all the problems with pollution, evil in the world, wars, a falling economy, etc., and the guy breaks up with her OVER THAT!? She is one lucky woman...she would have ended up married to one of the most shallow people on the planet.

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 10:56PM

This guy is my kind of guy. I wish I was a woman so I could go find him. I might look him up anyways as a man! He's real Celestial Material and I wouldn't mind...er...becoming friends with him.

Posted by: Amos ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 11:22PM

Trying to take the prophets' advice on marriage almost drove me to suicide with indecision.
Don't be picky.
Be very picky.
You can find a quote for or against ANY prospect.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 11:33PM

I might say that if the person had true faith, they would be strong enough to ask whether it be of God, or whether Bednob speaks for himself. And not only that, but to blindly do whatever you are told is the opposite of having faith.

Do you have faith enough to ask questions?

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 11:52PM

Bednar is very similar to Goebbels, in my humble opinion.

Of course, such a fanatic would look to marry himself a wife like Magda - who was willing to stand by and let her little children be poisoned before she and her idiot husband killed themselves.

On some websites you can actually pull up pictures of their cute blonde,blue-eyed kids who never got to see adulthood.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.