Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 12:01PM

Found a speech given by Dallin Oakes at a religious college, school of law just last week, and HAD to share with you some of his most amazing statements from that talk. I was honestly shocked at some of this stuff, especially those statements revealing his absolute hypocrisy. I think you will like this one:

Dallin H. Oaks speech given at Chapman University School of Law on 4 February 2011.

"Rabbi Kushner observed that a philosophy that rejects the idea of absolute right and wrong inevitably leads to a deadening of conscience."

“Without God, it would be a world where no one was outraged by crime or cruelty, and no one was inspired to put an end to them. . . . [T]here would be no more inspiring goal for our lives than self-interest. . . . Neither room nor reason for tenderness, generosity, helpfulness.”57

"I am convinced that on this issue what all believers have in common is far more important than their differences. We must unite to strengthen our freedom to teach and exercise what we have in common, as well as our very real differences in religious doctrine." (my note: hmmmm, what was it again that JS said that GOD said about all other religious beliefs and churches!- but of course, now we NEED to mainstream, we are no longer a peculiar people and do not want to be perceived as that!)

"Religion also strengthens our nation in the matter of honesty and integrity". (my note: the LDS church and leaders being sterling examples of course!)

"America's honesty is also reflected in our public servants' remarkable resistance to official corruption (hmmm, REALLY!). These standards and practices of honesty and integrity rest, ultimately, on our ideas of right and wrong, which, for most of us, are grounded in principles of religion and the teachings of religious leaders."

"Oxford-educated British journalist Melanie Phillips admitted that:

'one does not have to be a religious believer to grasp that the core values of Western Civilization are grounded in religion, and to be concerned that the erosion of religious observance therefore undermines those values and the 'secular ideas' they reflect.' 3"

"Unfortunately, the extent and nature of religious devotion in this nation is changing.5 Belief in a personal God who defines right and wrong is challenged by many. 'By some counts,' an article in The Economist declares, 'there are at least 500 [million] declared non-believers in the world—enough to make atheism the fourth-biggest religion.'6 (me-NO surprise there!)

"Organized religion is surely on the decline. Last year's Pew Forum Study on Religion and Public Life found that the percentage of young adults affiliated with a particular religious faith is declining significantly.8 Scholars Robert Putnam and David Campbell have concluded that 'the prospects for religious observance in the coming decades are substantially diminished.'9" ( me, of course- GLAD TO HEAR THAT, but surprised Oakes would admit to it)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2011 01:02PM by think4u.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.