Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 02:17PM

Why humans believe. An Overview Part 2.

Part 1: Why Do Mormons Believe? An Overview
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,112094.

It is part of being human to believe in a deity from the most intelligent and wise sage to the uneducated, illiterate thinker. It's also an intricate part of nearly every unique culture or tribe known to mankind. It's power element is often all inclusive as it is not just an isolated belief, but a world view with a territorial, societal component. Non belief has, in most cases, resulted in some form of detachment from the tribe.

The many hundreds of various beliefs in a deity have created unique cultural world views that have resulted in some of the most unbelievable and fantastic architecture music, and literature, clothing-costuming, etc., in an attempt to please the deity and establish their territorial positions. In many cases, how the edifices were constructed are still a mystery today.

On the other hand, the deity based world views have also gone in the other direction and destroyed people, places and things in the name of pleasing their deity and establishing territorial control. Fortunately, not all has been destroyed and we are the recipients of some of the greatest museums, cathedrals, literature, and music known to mankind, in the name of a deity. As a result, we can appreciate the incredible life long creativity and craftsmanship of some great minds, none of which could be considered lacking in intelligence, or tenacity, or dedication or service.

We don't have to believe in a particular deity, or in deities in general, to reap the benefits of the history of what human beings have accomplished from their deity based world view. In fact, I can participate in many of them in some small way, if only as an observer.

I consider myself extremely grateful, in this day and age, to have the ability, (in some form), to take advantage of the --too numerous to name or list-- historical tributes to the various deities by their believers in their celebrations, and rituals, architecture, worship, and offerings that are considered sacred, precious and dear to the believers as an integral part of their lives. I have been mesmerized by the televised custom of seating a new pope, and watching tours of many religious edifices and customs and celebrations, I will never be able to see in person. The creativity of human beings in pleasing a deity, throughout the history of humanity is one of the most amazing things to see.

Why humans believe as it relates to Mormonism:

How human beings create, construct a unique deity (God Myth) from many other elements of other deities, as it became part of the history of my country, before the industrial age is one of the many reasons Mormonism is so fascinating to me, both as a member and a former member. Joseph Smith Jr. managed to create a unique God Myth in the middle of the agricultural society in Eastern USA, drawing in others from Europe, and later with the leadership of Brigham Young, who was in essence: a dictator, monarch, king, and their prophet, move a large body of people to Utah Territory in the most dire conditions, where the religion flourished in near isolation, and is still alive and well today as the motivating force both as a religion and governmental element of the State of Utah. and some other areas.

The power of the world view based on a deity is it's emotional attachment or bond that is embedded in the human mind nearly since birth. It's an important part of multi-generational human experiences. Stories of the deity based experiences are passed down from generation to generation.

On a personal note:
I too have been part of the deity based world views from an early age. It is a part of who I am today and part of what makes me human. Those various deity based world views are, at this point, no longer part of my own personal world view as they have been replaced by more adequate ideas/notions that serve me better at this point in my life. Because of my background and experiences, I am well equipped to understand (at least, to some extent),the multitude of deity based world views in the world today as their believers participate, practice and exercise their rights as human beings. I can appreciate any part of them as an observer. I can be an ecumenical eater -- and dine with any of them as they celebrate their holidays and special days.

I have found that the best position is as an observer, devoid of emotional ties other than familial ones.
That leaves me free to explore the elements of a peaceful existence with an element of fun and humor with no fear, or regret or shame, with the time I have left on this earth.
I wish you all the same.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.