Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 03:35PM

This gentleman, John Mark Reynolds, self-proclaimed non-mormon, is doing backflips giving LDS-land positive spin:

http://onfaith.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/panelists/john_mark_reynolds/2011/02/an_american_trumpet.html

Here's a sample:

"...A great weakness of our lives today is isolation and loneliness. Mormonism is one solution to that problem for many. LDS church services to members and communities are a free market model for private charity. I have personally seen LDS charity help families that were not LDS, but related to a member. The charity gave work-centered help that met needs without sacrificing dignity. The commendable community found in Mormonism should be imitated not attacked."

Yup, you heard correctly: mormonism is the cure for "isolation and loneliness."

Pfft

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lilith's Daughter ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 03:44PM

And when my father died, leaving a widow with 4 kids still at home, and my family had NOTHING, I have personally seen the church deny help to us b/c my mom did not pay a full 10% tithe.

We got a few casseroles from the relief society, but church welfare was not available to us b/c my mom didn't pony up.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 04:01PM

What does free market have to do with charity?

Is service to a relative of a member really that impressive?

Must have been written by a member.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 04:22PM

"Must have been written by a member."

It does sound like it, doesn't it ...

Reminds me of those MoPologetic posts that start out, "I'm not a mormon, but my neighbors are, and they are the greatest people that Heavenly Father ever placed on this Earth."

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 04:39PM

The Bankers are pleased with their little pet.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 04:51PM

Dallin Oaks personally delivered the koolaid to John Mark Reynolds, and then made sure he drank it all.

Methinks the guy doth not protest enough. Looks to me like he has been roped into the Brotherhood of Morons who have decided to join together to fight the secular Beast. For one thing, he gives a shout-out to Dallin Oaks.

Excerpts:
"...God works in mysterious ways to perform His wonders. Old Testament prophets complained about the instruments God chose, but God went on being God despite their complaints. 2012 is likely to give Americans two serious candidates for president that are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS)...

Sadly ignorance of the LDS Church is widespread in our culture. Despite over a century of faithful citizenship and embracing family values, stupid stereotypes remain...

Of course, there is a vocal fringe of Americans who think any religious person is nuts. These equal-opportunity offenders can be ignored as invincibly ignorant.

[I think he's talking about some of us!]

They don't respect Mormons, because they don't respect Christians, Jews, Muslims, or anybody who thinks we are more than computers made out of meat....

There are no good reasons not to consider voting for a Mormon. Theologically, I disagree with the faith's teachings. My professional speaking has included pointed academic encounters with LDS professors about our areas of disagreement.... disagreements have not prevented our making common cause on many issues....

If this is a Mormon moment in American history, there is a reason for it. Their virtues have particular civic relevance today and their theological vices (from my point of view) do not. The LDS I know love America, urge good behavior on their members, and promote many traditional American values. If that bothers you, vote for somebody else--the LDS will fight and die in the American forces for your right to do so....

Any literate English speaker can read founding Mormon documents without the need for much translation or scholarly explanation, but knowledge of American history is vital. Most Americans look abroad for "holy land," but Mormons look here.

This gives them a passion for this place difficult for anyone else to match. Other religious groups must work harder to match this sense of place that the LDS Church has naturally....

The commendable community found in Mormonism should be imitated not attacked.

This last week Dallin H. Oaks, of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, gave an important speech at the Chapman University School of Law in California on religious liberty.</strong>
     I am sure Glenn Beck would agree that more Americans should read that speech, even if it meant turning off his program. Oaks, a professor and judge, not Beck, represents the best civic face of the LDS Church.

[Okay, now let's find out how much money mormons promised to back this guy's agenda.]

If this is, as the Washington Post suggests, a Mormon moment, it is because Mormons clung to truths now unfashionable and addressed questions others ignore. They suffered exile in their own land, persecution, and the need to change important ideas to be part of the broader culture. This American experience taught them good lessons about America. Being right is powerful and most LDS are right on many of today's big issues: the nature of family, the protection of life, defense of religious liberty, and republican values....

Providence works in peculiar ways and it is particularly odd for an evangelical and Orthodox Christian to be grateful for this Mormon moment in American history. But if a Biblical prophet could celebrate the pagan emperor Cyrus for being God's man to free His people, surely we can praise our Mormon countrymen for sounding a trumpet call to rally America to life and liberty.
[end excerpts from article in the Washington Post.]

I called this. Pardon me while I indulge in one big, loud, "I told you so."

The Washington Post is really on the bandwagon. They've printed several other articles extolling the virtues of mormons, all with the express purpose of getting all religious and conservative people onboard for the Mormon President train.

Here's one by Richard Mouw, of Fuller Theological seminary: http://onfaith.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/panelists/richard_mouw/2011/02/long_history_of_hostility_between_mormons_and_evangelicals.html

And here's one from Robert P. Jones, CEO of the Public religion Research Institute: http://onfaith.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/panelists/richard_mouw/2011/02/long_history_of_hostility_between_mormons_and_evangelicals.html

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 08:53PM

and related stories of denying help to those in need. He told them to sell some of their stuff that they bought when times were good. Oh and he's had his share of toys and hobbies and even got church welfare too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.