Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 06:08PM

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865593464/What-we-wish-wed-known-before-we-served-a-Mormon-mission.html

Pay Lay Alol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2014 06:09PM by Jerry the Aspousetate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Out in England ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 06:25PM

10. In the first list = Don't even think about being sick, we want you to work every day of your voluntary service.

2, 3, 4 & 10 (as a bare minimum) from list 2, are unprovable nonsense. Yea, of course you'll really make the world a better place by working in a mormon temple laundry for 18 months!

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 06:26PM

Here's my list of things I wish I had known before serving a Mormon Mission.

1. It's all Bull$h!t

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 09:47PM

Yes! It would have been so nice to have those 2 years back-- and to have been able to graduate that much earlier.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 07:08PM

I came home early after fifteen months. I still want those fifteen months back.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 06:40PM

Two years of labor.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 07:20PM

More like a kidney stone or massive hemorrhoid for two years

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 07:43AM

There you go. Those are the correct metaphors, exactly.

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 08:52PM

What the hell? No, serving a mission is NOT like having a baby. When you get off your mission, you go "Praise the LORD that's over with, and I NEVER have to do that again!" so there's relief that it's over with, but you don't have any reward, other than the satisfaction of having survived, and the regret of having wasted so much of your valuable youth.

And may I say I have NO SYMPATHY for senior missionaries whining about how much of a trial it is. You weren't pressured or coerced, you don't have the same restraints as the young elders and sisters, you can keep contact with your family, you can tap into whatever funds you have at home to live a comfortable lifestyle, you don't get transferred the hell all over the place, you don't get stuck with multiple asshole companions.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 09:28PM

Posted by: LabansWidow ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 09:40PM

Serving a mission was the worst experience of my life. And I am comparing this to my husbands unexpected death by suicide.

Childbirth (with 12 hours of labour, then an emergency caesarean) does not compare in the slightest.

Missions are just absolute hell on earth and there is no reward or payoff for it.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 03:28PM

LabansWidow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Serving a mission was the worst experience of my
> life. And I am comparing this to my husbands
> unexpected death by suicide.

Wow. That is a pretty impressive statement. And I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

Posted by: Aurora ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 07:43PM

A week or so ago someone was ringing my doorbell in the dark, on a night with icy, snowpacked streets. It was 7:55 pm. I looked out the viewer on my front door & asked who it was & the 2 guys said, "The Missionaries." I couldn't believe it! I was sitting here near the front door, didn't hear a car approach -- these guys were out riding bikes on the icy streets!

Risking their lives for a killer religion.

Posted by: LabansWidow ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 07:23AM

Thanks dogzilla. Objectively of course, my husband's death was much worse. However what I am really thinking of is how long it took me to come out of depression and regain my sense of happiness in life. 9 years for the mission and 3 years for my husband's death.

I'm a very different person now to what I was back in my early 20s and I probably would deal with a mission much better now. Of course it's also possible that learning to recover from one very bad experience helped me years later, when something truly dreadful happened.

I still think missions are hell on earth however.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.