Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 07:03PM

I think I've seen this talked about here before, so forgive me for rehashing.

Does the whole "war in heaven" thing contradict itself? The church teaches that one of the purposes of Heavenly Father's plan was for us to learn how to choose right from wrong. I'm interpreting that to mean that our spirits must not have known at that time how to choose right from wrong. So, Earth-bound to learn how to choose right from wrong. But, 1/3 of the spirits were banished because they made the wrong choice in choosing to not accept Christ. Does that mean that God punished them for a bad choice they made even though they had no idea that it was wrong?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 07:23PM

If Satan and his followers where the same as us, and we all came to earth to get a body, and we had to learn good and bad. Where would the bad come from? Would god just lie to us to make us learn bad and then punish us for following his lies? Can god lie? Also Satan and his followers never had their minds blanked out so how can they be punished if they never had the same test we are given. god already knows how we are going to behave but he is letting us prove him wrong just so he can say I told you so, but for Satan and his followers he isn't giving them the same chance because he kicked them all out. On the other hand, Satan and his followers maybe choose not to take the test. So why does god need to kick them out? Why can't he just except there wishes and hope maybe someday they come around to getting a body.

Posted by: Ruby2 ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 07:09PM

"god already knows how we are going to behave but he is letting us prove him wrong just so he can say I told you so"

I had someone (Christian not LDS) insist to me that some humans will never even get the chance to accept the scripture because god knows they will never accept it anyway. They based that on the scripture "I knew you before you were born" which is super not how I interpreted that....

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 08:00PM

If God is all-powerful, why did he let a war occur?? Seems like a BS story to me. Always has.

Posted by: HIkergrl ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 02:20PM

Just another way Joe dumbed-down God.

Posted by: ZigZag ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 09:16AM

2/3 of his spirit balls either outright revolted or waited to see who won so they could choose the winning team.

It seems quite apparent that Mr Anger Management God was an asshole in the pre-existence much like he is now.

TWO THIRDS of the very beings HE created and were allowed to bask in his presence wanted to follow Satan instead.

My guess is this is all a bunch of bullshit peddeled by evil men to a gullible populace.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 08:02PM

How is the war in heaven different from the pre-existence. Is it the same time frame?

All this punishing, banishing, cursing with dark skin of various spirits, devils and other entities. It's freaking confusing.

And oh so stupid. God was one vengeful dude. And this is the Heavenly Father we're supposed to pray to and feel comforted?

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 08:05PM

A war in heaven is not heaven. doesn't make sense.

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 08:31PM

For those that believe in a benevolent, all-knowing, all-powerful, all-loving god; evil, and evil actions, are completely unexplainable and illogical.

(But oh how they'll try, in 3, 2, 1.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2014 08:32PM by schlock.

Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 01:53PM

having adult leaders now will only confuse you. imagine if teens were making their own church; imagine it. it happened.

people who dont read well answer questions, by excerpting copying with no quotes or attribution entire sentences above and below the only word they recognize- in the question itself or their source document. doesnt that explain joseph jamming parts of ghe bible in the middle of his stories

clearly this all began while joseph was soooo immature
he didnt even recognize irony. he was soooo immature he couldnt comprehend abstract nouns when he made this up every noun and every belief is using concrete nouns.

people often state how young mormons sound when they speak- their philosophy was made up by a baby. he was just 14. no wonder

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 01:58PM

It's as stupid as thinking that killing virgins will keep volcanoes from erupting...

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 02:16PM

God's plan would not have been possible without the war in heaven. Therein lies the contradiction.

Posted by: outsider ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 02:35PM

"We don't know." Which is all that you'll get from a brainwashed TBM.

Yes, it's contradictory, but they're so good at compartmentalizing that they won't even realize that the above answer is also a contradiction, as Mormonism is supposed to be the only church with The Truth.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 03:48PM

Yeah, who would want to be in heaven if they have wars there?

And yet, "the glories of the telestial are beyond all human understanding."

Something ain't jibing here...

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 03:54PM

It's more testimony to me that Mormons believe in a not-so-powerful god, one who allows things to get so out of hand in heaven that a deadly altercation erupts and a third of his people walk away.

Posted by: Mark ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 03:57PM

The reason the "War in Heaven" doesn't make sense is because it's 100% fictional nonsenese, just like almost all dogmatic religious hogwash is. Theology is worthless and childish.

Posted by: Ruby2 ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 07:04PM

Isn't that the way it is, though? Because of original sin, we all have sinful nature and all fall short of god no matter how hard we try. Yet we are to be tortured in hell for eternity because of our mistakes that we have no control over even when we are doing our best.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 07:18PM

The war in heaven comes from Revelation 12:7-13.
Of course there is an LDS spin on it, but the idea itself is centuries old.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 08:05PM

It's more mesed up than anyone thinks. Apparentely the bad guy the devil in all lthis has something against god and jesus after hering the plan and agreeing to it beforehand. So satan knew about the plan. Satan knew he'd be the bad guy. Satan didnt have to star that war but he did anyway. he culd have just agreed but didnt or did he?. Who knows but the real question is really is satan part of the plan and if so why is he continueing to be the bad guy.

Posted by: blade ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 04:14AM

Makes about as much sense as Adam and Eve. Forget genetic diversity (That's science! And that's not to be trusted!)

All of sudden A&E's sons have wives. Whered'd she come from? Oh it was his sister! Ewwww! But wait that was ok then. Because... ummmm.....

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 04:25AM

If God is all-powerful, why did he let a war occur?? Seems like a BS story to me. Always has.
AND IN HEAVEN!! Isn't Heaven the one place you can count on to be war free? Really? BS to the hilt.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.