Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 02:28PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 02:28PM

Nope.
Generally fared better than the faithful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2014 02:28PM by zenjamin.

Posted by: whattookmesolong ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 02:38PM

Nope,

I left early and feel that I've done very well with my life. Much better than if I had stayed in the cult and continued the indoctrination process.

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 02:45PM

and mission president. "once a quitter, you'll always be a quitter" I have to thank that jerk for telling me that, it has kept me going when times get tough.

Now have Ph.D. , CEO, nice smart wife, and great kids that are grown, all out of the Church.

I'll never be a bishop, stake president or general authority though. Guess I'll get along fine.

Date: January 06, 2014 06:28PM

BG,

Great for you. I had a forgotten but I got the same speech when I left. What a dick!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 02:49PM

My most successful SIL is a pharmacist and left her mission early because she knew that, being bulimic, she would not be able to hack the pressures. So instead of being a burden to her comp and putting herself through hell, she very wisely came home and dealt with the bulimia, got a degree and a career, married and built a gorgeous house on a large property with horses and had 5 beautiful children.

I'd say she did just fine.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 03:47PM

Good for her! She had enough strength and courage to face what she needed to do, and to overcome adversity. Well done!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 02:52PM

I know people who completed their missions and still didn't amount to anything.

Posted by: enginerd ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 03:18PM

I know a guy who didn't complete his mission and didn't amount to anything and has spent much of his adult life in jail. I know other people who did complete their mission and didn't amount to anything. I know other people who did complete their mission and later became very successful.

In each case, I I believe completing, or not completing, a mission had pretty much nothing to do with it...

Posted by: Biffbo ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 03:46PM

I wish I had got the memo and read up on church history soon after completing my mission. I could of banged a lot more pretty girls in college before finally settling down if I wasn't so brainwashed. I regret not being able to play the field more. At least I'm disease free.

Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 03:54PM

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 04:03PM

While most 18-21 year olds don't have alot of earning potential, it is still time lost that could have been used gaining experience and building a resume, or going to college. In the long run, thats 2 years of earning potential gone down the drain while being on a mission. I personally know more than a few 21 year olds that are college graduates and have good jobs now. Meanwhile, alot of mormon 21 year olds are just starting college, maybe even getting married and starting a family wihout having jobs. A mission doesn't benefit one's life, it delays it.

Posted by: Timmylee ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 05:04PM

Being away two years increased my education bill. Imagine how much more a student will have to pay after two years today. Education costs seem to be 15% increase each year.

I should have just went to college or some trade school and passed on indoctrinaiton. I did walkaway speaking spanish but that was so long ago I probably speak like a 1st grader. No reason to practice as their aren't that many spanish people I care to be friends with at the moment.

Date: January 06, 2014 06:32PM

Great point Adieu! If these kids quickly get married and haven't finished college, or gotten that extra 2 years of work experience, it will most definitely delay if not permanently reduce their future earning power. I'm not saying earnings equates to success, but I think you know what I mean.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 04:43PM

leaving a mission early makes you more determined to prove "them" wrong. Kind of a "I'll show YOU, you SOB's!" and they fight even harder for success because they have something to prove.

Posted by: time2go ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 04:52PM

Yes but only someone who left early then still remained a devout TBM.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 04:53PM

Actually, my mission president talked smack about the missionaries to endured to the end too. You can't win no matter what you do.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 06:01PM

I know plenty of kids who didn't amount to anything while on their missions. Once they got home they were fine though.

Posted by: Nomoelderanymore ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 08:36PM

- amounted more in these few days than in those 16 wasted months before. I only regret it didn't happened earlier ....no I regret, that I thought I have to do that B$ to be accepted as an upright, full fledged person. In a cult I didn't belong to, I didn't believe in. (the only positive thing it brought up - Now I gain a deep testimony of what T$CC is really about)
Just to please others expectations.
I were sent out when I was nearly 21. If I didn't I would already have my bachelor's degree.

Posted by: LabansWidow ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 06:51AM

I left my mission 3 months early due to depression, but remained a devout TBM for another 22 years. Only left 18 months ago.

I have 2 undergraduate degrees and a post grad diploma, earn a 6 figure salary, have my own home, send my child to a top private school etc. I think I'm reasonably successful.

Even on my mission I thought that propaganda about being a failure your whole life, if you could not succeed at a mission, was a silly Mormon myth. How can you say that 19-23 year olds will never achieve anything in the remaining 60 YEARS of their lives, because they didn't handle a mission well?

Mission life is nothing like real-world life; university, family or regular work life. It simply cannot be used as an indicator for success or failure.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 08:19AM

I know two brothers. One is severely disabled and so can't work, but is a lovely person who always has time for others and treats his dog like a king.

The other brother is a successful businessman but ignores his family (including the disabled and elderly ones).

Both are exmormon. You decide who "amounted to anything". (Mormons would think they were both failures!)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.