Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: releve ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 06:56PM

I think that TSCC had better hope that SSM sails through the Supreme Court. If it doesn't, I believe that you will see demonstrations in Salt Lake City that will have a different look than TSCC might expect. I think that gray haired grannies will join the fight. I've been told that even though I'm no longer a Mormon, I have the quintessential look of a Mormon Matron of a certain age. TSCC doesn't want to see a group of women who look like me, carrying equality signs, on the national news.

I think that the time has come for marriage equality and I believe that there are perhaps thousands of other gray haired grannies who agree with me. The fogey fifteen may care more about their precious traditional marriage than they do about the children of Utah, but I'm guessing most grannies care more about the kids. All of the kids. We care about the children of gay couples, we care about gay children and we care about all of the children of Utah who could benefit from having the money now being spent to fight SSM, spent in a more positive way.

I think I'll get my sign ready, just in case.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Zip ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 07:01PM

It has been interesting to see the ages of same sex people being married. You might suspect that they would be young progressives, but they cross all ages and diverse political views!

Same sex attraction has always been around, it's just showing more dramatically now.

Posted by: NotSoSure ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 07:05PM

I'm a gray haired granny and I support SSM. Because, folks, it's not about sex. It's about equality, and human rights.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 02:50AM

We have plenty of experience. We're the generation that marched and picketed and rioted in the Sixties. We know how to raise Hell when the situation calls for it.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 06:07AM

I walked in a protest march in the'60s, too.

Posted by: UTtransplant ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 09:04AM

My family genetics don't allow much gray hair, but it am certainly old enough to qualify. I am a never-mo but most folks in Utah initially assume I am LDS to let me know I look fairly conservative. I would march in such a cause. I know two couples who have 20+ year commitments who got married in the last 2 years. One couple raised three children, all of whom are happy and successful. It is a matter of civil rights and fairness.

Transplant

Posted by: ish ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 11:30AM

There is a marriage equality rally scheduled for 27 January in Salt Lake.

Posted by: kj ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 11:41AM

Maybe we should have a California march too.
Utah needs help.

KJ

Posted by: Adult of god nli ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 03:24PM

Count me in!

Posted by: NYCGal ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 06:44PM

I know two 80-year-old grandmas and one 100-year-old great grandma, all three of whom are living in LDS-dominated suburbs of SLC and all three of whom are in favor of same sex marriage.

Perhaps, there should be another referendum on the matter in Utah. I am doubtful that the anti's could muster a majority to vote against SSM now. And, that seems to be one of Utah's principal SCOTUS arguments -- that 66% of Utah voters voted against SSM and no court should overturn the will of the majority (a bad argument but they keep making it and it's one of the few arguments they have).

But, that was 10 years ago. Society has changed dramatically in the last decade on this issue. I really don't think they could get a majority to vote against SSM these days.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 08:58PM

Add wrinkly grandpas to the list. I'll be there too, if they succeed in blocking gay marriage in Utah.

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 12:44AM

Grey-haired gramps and I are with you, too.

Posted by: nolomo ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 01:15AM

I'm in. Let's make a plan. I'm a gray haired granny with two gay family members and many gay friends.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.