Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon to hide ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 07:15PM

As part of my BYU teacher training, I did some student teaching in a rural city near Provo. Just before I left, there was a vote to pay male teachers more (can't remember how much) to compensate them for being breadwinners and for often holding important, busy church positions, although the later was just spread around in hushed tones. It didn't pass. Guess what year this occurred?

Note: None of my out-of-state tbm family members believed something like this would happen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Crowbone ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 07:25PM

2009?

Date: January 06, 2014 07:33PM

Nope.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 07:32PM

Why would they even vote on something else? All they have to do is just pay women less and be done with it.

That's what happens across all of the economy which is why women still make 77 cents to every male dollar.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 10:37AM

Actually, the way they come up with that number isn't quite kosher. It compares all women to all men and uses some lazy stats work.

It would be like comparing a teenage girl who works at McD's to a corporate CEO and saying, "See? They pay girls less!"

When you run the numbers comparing two people who have the same education and same experience, it's more like 97 or 98 cents to the dollar. Still not fair and where it should be, but the disparity is a lot smaller than is often reported.

Posted by: Crowbone ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 07:37PM

2012? :)

Date: January 06, 2014 07:38PM

Wrong decade - wish I was that young. Lol!

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 07:40PM

yesterday?

Date: January 06, 2014 07:48PM

LOL! That would be oh so sad. I was totally horrified by the vote in . . . 1992! That was one of the reasons I had to get out of the morg.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 07:53PM

The columnists in the Salt Lake Tribune would have been all over that. Why didn't you let more people know?

Only in Utah would somebody NOT stand up to something like that.

Date: January 06, 2014 08:18PM

^^^^ No argument there.

I was scared I would get kicked out of BYU or the church. Plus, I needed this school to recommend me for my first job. I know, I wish I had the guts to say something, but when I told my own family, they didn't believe me. Listen, they were still using ditto machines at this school they were so backward. Oh, and the only reason I knew about it was the teacher I was working with was divorced (breadwinner) and she was pissed off, like you read about. Otherwise, I'm sure I wouldn't have been privy to any of this. Small town, lots of drama for sure.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 09:43PM

Well, hopefully you have some years behind you as a teacher and can speak out without too much fear of recrimination. I saw this type of thing quite often when I taught in public schools. While I was never too afraid to speak out, anonymity is your friend. :)

Posted by: anon to hide ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 10:11AM

Actually, it didn't stop there. A few years later, I taught at a private school where the pay wasn't "set" so the males has no problem getting more money for the same work.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 07:56PM

I was thinking it could only be in the sixties or seventies. 1992 is beyond disgusting.

Why is it always the Mormons leading the charge for equality? Ha ha.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 08:05PM

Dad's are paid enough so they can stay home and take care of the kids.

It's just the way it is.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 08:28PM

notmonotloggedin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dad's are paid enough so they can stay home and
> take care of the kids.
>
> It's just the way it is.

It all depends on the mom, I know plenty of moms who would prefer to stay home full-time with their kids, but I also know women who always *thought* that was what they wanted...until they actually had kids and stayed home. One of my closest friends was raised fundie Christian and used to believe that mothers should *only* work outside the home if the family really needed the money. So, when her daughter was born she decided to quit her job and stay home. Within about six weeks she was going insane with boredom and found a temp, full-time as a secretary. She has worked full-time in administrative positions ever since and loves it. (Good thing she enjoys her work, too, as her ex-husband ended up beating her not long after their marriage as well as starting to do drugs, so they were divorced before their daughter turned three.)

Posted by: Odell Campbell ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 10:22AM

Allow me to introduce Oklahoma Rep. Sally Kern, who infamously stated:

"Women usually don't want to work as hard as a man... women tend to think a little bit more about their family, wanting to be at home more time, wanting to have a little more leisure time."

http://newsok.com/rep.-sally-kerns-comments-on-minorities-and-women-cause-stir/article/3562825

She has also made equally stupid remarks about Blacks and gays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Kern#cite_note-21

I live in her district :( She gets reelected easily :( :(

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 10:41AM

When TSCC took on the ERA in 1978 (when the ratification extension was granted) they were smart and recruited the women to do the fighting for them. Yes, they convinced us to fight against our own best interests.

But the biggest thing they had us convinced of that was going to bring down the American family was that ERA would prevent companies from paying a married man with a family more than they pay a single woman to do the same work. GASP!!!! Just think of how awful that would be. This woman who only has to support herself making the same as a Mormon Man with a wife and 10 kids. The horrors.

And yes, I fell for it. It would be the end of marriage, the end of family. In fact the country would even quit granting civil marriages. Working women would take over the world. (yeah, don't we wish).

Well, ERA was defeated but The Equal Pay Act and other legislation was passed and we are still working at it. We still have marriage, we still have families. I am a single working woman and I would be outraged and taking legal action if a man doing the same work as I am was paid much more solely because he has a family to support. People choose to marry. They choose to have children and if a woman wants to quit work and stay home, that is her CHOICE. But there are still subtle ways that this mindset is in play and we can't become complacent and think the battle is over.

I am not surprised that there are still many people in TSCC who can be living in the 1950s and still think paying "breadwinners" more has any justification. In fact, this might be even more prevalent now than it was in 1992 when you saw it in action.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 10:48AM

We all know that women--due to the basic gentle nature of their delicate gender--cannot be bread winners.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 11:01AM

A woman I work with here in Utah grew up in a small town in the Utah west desert. When she was young there was a discussion going on in town that to save money they should only send the boys on to high school. The thinking was that the girls didn't need all that fancy extra learnin' to be good wives and mothers. Fortunately the town never followed through on this. This was probably in the 1970s.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 11:07AM

Yeah, and boys always make all the best choices, too.

BTW, isn't it actually spelled "l'arnin?'" That's how it's spelled here in Georgia. (Like when they say, "All y'all be l'arnin' 'bout polnaggin' widnose halmin lepsters?" You know what I mean.)

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 11:33AM

Why isn't it more well-known that the President of the United States Barack Obama pays his women staff members significantly less than the male staff members?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 01:01PM

I don't know, probably because many of us have never seen any stats on that. And I wonder what the correlation is between the positions men hold and those held by women. So please pass some links on so we will be more informed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.