Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Odell Campbell ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 08:57PM

Probably the Satanist item. Oklahomans are used to Mormons but not Satanists.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: armtothetriangle ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 10:17PM

The day either one of them shows up at the State Capitol, me know.

Don't throw eggs, but there is somewhat of an argument for the 10 Commandments on the grounds in that many of our laws originate in them. I wouldn't mind seeing them at every state capitol if the legislators would pay attention during sessions.

Posted by: Jeri ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 10:38PM

Exodus 20:5 " I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me."

Do you really think you should be punished for something one of your great-grandparents did or said? The god of the 10 Commandments says you will be.

I believe in a God of Grace and Mercy and Love. Not the jealous, vindictive God of the 10 Commandments.

Posted by: gentleben ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 08:24AM

"but there is somewhat of an argument for the 10 Commandments on the grounds in that many of our laws originate in them. I wouldn't mind seeing them at every state capitol if the legislators would pay attention during sessions."

I think you are confusing McCarthyism with the founding of the United States...

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 02:46PM

Our laws absolutely do NOT originate from the 10 Commandments. That is utter bullshit.

1 - I am the Lord thy God, and thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Our constitution guarantees that there can be no law made forcing people to practice any particular religion. So our laws contradict Commandment #1.

2 - Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.

Again, we are free to make whatever art and symbols we would like and to revere them however we want, because the law cannot infringe upon our right to our own beliefs. So our laws contradict Commandment #2.

3 - Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.

Uh, freedom of speech. We cannot be prosecuted for saying the name of any god. Our laws contradict Commandment #3.

4 - Remember the Sabbath Day and keep it holy.

Granted, some local governments did (and still do) have blue laws in about half the states. But the majority of those are simply about the restriction of alcohol sales on Sunday. Nothing about enforcing any kind of holiness on Sundays. So our laws may not contradict Commandment #4, but they also don't support it.

5 - Honor thy mother and thy father.

No way to enforce this legally. No applicable laws.

6 - Thou shalt not kill.

Oh, yeah! Here's one! But really, is the law against murder based on the fact that it's a Commandment, or just because that's a basic part of a functional society?

7 - Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Wow! Adultery actually is technically illegal in 23 states! Guess how often it's actually enforced? But I'll still give you this one. Puritanical traditions about sex certainly came from religion. So that means we're 1/7 on the Commandments>Laws.

8 - Thou shalt not steal.

Again, arguable about whether or not this was the basis of any law. Yes, stealing is illegal, but that doesn't that it's only wrong because the Bible says so.

9 - Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

Okay, while perjury, fraud, and obstruction of justice are crimes, lying as a general concept is not. No points.

10 - Thou shalt not covet.

It isn't illegal to covet anything. You can want want want want want until you're blue in the face. No laws against lusting after someone, or desiring something. So, Commandment #10 - no dice.

Please.

Date: January 08, 2014 08:57PM

Nice!

Date: January 06, 2014 10:33PM

Uh, How about the 2nd Commandment?
"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth." Exodus 20:4

This means you can't have any artwork that is a likeness of anything on earth, in the sea, or in the sky or "heavens above us" (like stars, solar system pictures, and no artwork where the sun is shown etc.)

No pictures of puppies or kittens or any other animal.

It would very much bother me if the 10 Commandments were posted in a government building.

P.S. FYI: our laws originate from English Common Law, not from the 10 Commandments.

Date: January 06, 2014 10:47PM

Now, now, the English based their laws from the 10.

Artwork and adornment are cool, just not to be worshiped, ie, no bowing to dead presidents by legislators.

Date: January 06, 2014 10:59PM

Exodus 20:4 specifically commands "Thou shalt not make unto thee... or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."

This is why Islamic cultures that follow the Commandments of God strictly do not have artwork other than geometric designs. Reference the artwork of Muslim Spain.

And "The essence of English common law is that it is made by judges sitting in courts, applying legal precedent (stare decisis) to the facts before them." United States law came from English common law which is based on precendent, not the Bible.

Date: January 06, 2014 11:29PM

Jeri, not all ultra-orthodox rabbis interpret a "graven image" outside of the making of idols. Long ago study of the 10 divided them into relationship to God, relationship to neighbors (fellow humans) and relationship to self. Now we're more likely theologically to make idols of our doctrines than images. (Unless you're chasing Ben Franklins or venerating icons.)

Before English courts was Magna Carta. Common law as you said came from the courts; statutory law in the West was based on the decalogue.

Did anyone else bother to look at the links? John the Baptist benevolently looking down at JS & Cowdery in the same way Satan is looking at the children? Just white kids though. Apparently Satan/Lucifer doesn't like non-white kids any more than Elohim did, er, used to.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 01:45PM

You left out the next verse which qualifies this statement.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 11:09PM

I'm rooting for the satinists.

They are showing how silly it is to have government sponsored religious displays.

Date: January 07, 2014 08:26AM

Me too, and look how happy the children are! For the love of Beelzebub! Think of the children!

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 02:25PM

lol

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 01:51PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 07:24PM

Satan loves the little children
All the children of the world
Whether deceived or atheist
They all are on his list
Satan loves the little children of the world

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.