Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 10:45PM

About this story - I don't think the host was making fun of the grandkid - she was making fun of Mormonism!!! And poking fun at the irony of how the Romneys, like the "church" they belong to, try so hard to show the world how open minded they are, yet belong to a very authoritarian, closed organization

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/12/30/msnbc-panel-makes-fun-of-romney-photo-with-black-grandchild/?hpt=hp_t1

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 11:41PM

How does anybody get to work for a major network and not realize that race-based jokes are a big no-no in the US?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 12:13AM

Everyone's so upset about the joke, but no one in mainscream media knows that this poor child has a doctrinal skin curse from God--according to TSCC doctrine!

C'mon, Glenn Beck, tell us the TRUTH! we neeeed to know...!

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 12:33PM

. . . he came to Melissa Harris-Perry's defense, as well as noted that she was raised by a white Mormon family.

That said, Beck conveniently failed to mention the LDS Church's bigoted historical doctrinal teaching that Blacks were cursed by God with a dark skin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2014 12:35PM by steve benson.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 01:06AM

The racial diversity of the Republican Party. The host (pay attention, ZHD, and the Cabbie will get you home safely; now fasten your seat belt, and I'll stop if you tell me you need to you-know-what), Melissa Harris-Perry is the African-American daughter of a white formerly Mormon woman who attended BYU.

Anyone who doesn't think the uproar about this was a manufactured non-issue by folks playing the "victim" card needs to spend more time on this bulletin board. Long time RFM sorts can testify to how the Saints have elevated this sort of persecution to almost an art form.

MHP had her buttons worked over unmercifully by these sorts (the same folks who defended Phil Robertson), and curiously, when I offered up this insight on her blogsite, nobody, among the scores who'd hollered, offered any other explanation. The PH holders have taught the other white males well...

I'm an MSNBC fan, but the way some within that operation are rolling over for this sort of pseudo-outrage is an embarrassment.

SLC
The guy who gave Chris Matthews the information Glenn Beck was a Mormon..
Chris later called Beck a "nincompoop"; I thought something stronger was called for myself...

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 01:15PM

Don't care what you or anyone says, Melissa H-P is a great journalist and is beautiful. Anyway, I thought her joke was pretty good, myself, and not even in bad taste. Having said that, it was, indeed, a lapse of good judgement; we all know you don't say that kind of stuff on national networks because of The Whiny American. But like Romney and all the rest of us haven't had a few lapses of good judgement... I don't think it was worth more than a tersely stated apology. The tears were totally not necessary. That behavior just provides more corn for Romney's grist mill.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.