Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pathway ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 11:03AM

In a separate thread, someone tossed out the idea of resignations of the dead.

That would be an interesting new front to open up, flooding the family history center with requests to have ordinance work previously done for ancestors to be undone.

Seriously though, is that even possible? Was ordinance work for the Jews ever "undone" or was it just stopped?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brett ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 11:10AM

I don't know that it would be worth the trouble to do anything about it. It's a meaningless ordinance. The assumption is that the dead person accepted the Mormon doctrine after they died and the baptism is just a proxy. So the reality is, the proxy baptism does nothing.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 11:19AM

brett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know that it would be worth the trouble to do anything about it. It's a meaningless ordinance. The assumption is that the dead person accepted the Mormon doctrine after they died and the baptism is just a proxy. So the reality is, the proxy baptism does nothing.

Except show disrespect for the family of the dead person who was baptized.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2014 11:19AM by michael.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 12:57PM

But thankfully, dead-dunking based on a narcissistic assumption into a religion not of the dead person's is not disrespectful

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 01:08PM

for a joke both Bill Maher, and Shawn McCraney and done a
un-baptism from mormonism for the dead on TV.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 01:31PM

Yes, I love it when Bill Maher "unbaptized" Mitt Romney's dead FIL- the clip is hilarious!! Here is the link:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f8U_JveHS8E

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 02:19AM

Posted by: Vote for Pedro ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 01:34PM

The Church of Satan did a lesbian wedding by proxy for the mother of Westboro Baptist Church's founder.

If you search the interwebs, you can find a beer mug that says on it "I, ______, being thirsty, drink this beer for and in behalf of ______, who is Mormon."

There are all kinds of vicarious works of salvation being done outside of TSCC.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 01:42PM

http://www.z@zzle.com/i_being_thirsty_drink_this_beer_for_and_mug-168393142368649920

(change the @ to an 'a')

I'm totally getting one of these.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 02:41AM

pathway - this is just what TSCC needs for sure. GREAT IDEA! A nice juicy taste of their own medicine. Let's flood them with letter of resignation for any dead person that we know of who were dead dunked. You are a genius!

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 05:17AM

I don't think we have to worry about rules and formalities--because it is all made up anyway. Whatever rules about this the Mormons have, are probably really ambiguous and shifty.

Just make you own rule, and write that letter. I like the idea of using the Mormon's own wording.

On behalf of my aunt Georgia, (born on April 1, 1923, in Salt Lake City) who is dead, I am resigning her posthumous membership in the COJCOLDS. She never gave her consent to be baptized after she was dead; in fact she strongly expressed her desire for the Mormons to leave her alone! Attached, is a signed letter from her, stating her wishes. The desire of her heart is to dwell in eternity with her husband, William, who is also resigned and un-baptized. With this official resignation, according to the Mormon Church Handbook of Instructions, all baptisms, temple ordinances, and all church rituals and callings are null and void. Signed, Joy, as Proxy for Aunt Georgia (Attachment)

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 06:25AM

thèse un-ordinances:

http://salamandersociety.com/proxy/

Funny thing, non of us were struck by lightning.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.